PDA

View Full Version : Alloys

mark1967
10-07-18, 11:55
Hi
just bought a jag xf 2.2D luxury it's a lovely car !
it's a 2015 plate but the 17" alloy wheels are not low profile
Can I put low profile wheels & tyres on & what size can I go up too ?
thanks for you're help

#steve
11-07-18, 08:18
The max size wheels you can fit is 20" with 255x35zr x20 tyres.

Do bear in mind this will give a harsh ride and be more expensive than running 17" wheels.

Neilr
11-07-18, 12:05
A significantly bigger and wider wheel is a lot heavier than the basic wheel fitted to a particular model. Apart from looks and and steering response, the rest of the compromises will be in the wrong direction. Make sure you are willing to accept those compromises. How often do you see that the smaller lighter versions of a model are said to be the nicest to drive, even if they are not the fastest.

mark1967
14-07-18, 03:34
thanks for replys !
would it be better to stick with 17" but change to different style of alloy with low profile tyres ?
would that make much difference ?

jberks
14-07-18, 07:32
thanks for replys !
would it be better to stick with 17" but change to different style of alloy with low profile tyres ?
would that make much difference ?
You can’t. The overall diameter of the wheel must stay unchanged or your speedo will under-read.
So you either fill that space with more wheel or more (higher profile) tyre.
plus, you’d end up with the same effect on the ride.
lower profile tyres are harsher because you have less flexible rubber in the sidewall and the sidewall must be stiffer to avoid the wheel hitting the road.
If you want to have nicer looking wheels and tyres (the 20s do look a lot better) then you have to fit 20s and accept the compromises. I have them on mine and to be honest the ride is fine but then it was built for them so I’m not sure how yours would be.

PScott543
14-07-18, 22:18
The speedo will over read not under read if you fit a lower aspect tyre.

No difference in sidewall construction. They’re all a single layer of fabric. The lower profile are stiffer just because they’re shorter.

No XF is designed specifically for a 20” rim. They’re all designed to suit 17/18/19/20” rims.

Mine is on 19”, the ride’s fine. Better than my 530 on 18”. I would happily reccomend 19” and doubt that 20” would disappoint. The appearance is subjective.

Any decent aftermarket supplier would be able to offer a set of OE quality rims and tyres to suit. I got a set of Borbet rims, OE sensor valves and winter tyres for £1k.

jberks
15-07-18, 10:01
The speedo will over read not under read if you fit a lower aspect tyre.

No difference in sidewall construction. They’re all a single layer of fabric. The lower profile are stiffer just because they’re shorter.

No XF is designed specifically for a 20” rim. They’re all designed to suit 17/18/19/20” rims.

Mine is on 19”, the ride’s fine. Better than my 530 on 18”. I would happily reccomend 19” and doubt that 20” would disappoint. The appearance is subjective.

Any decent aftermarket supplier would be able to offer a set of OE quality rims and tyres to suit. I got a set of Borbet rims, OE sensor valves and winter tyres for £1k.

Ok yes, wrote in haste but inaccurate is undesirable either way. Point is, do t fit low profiles to the standard wheels, plus as it’s asthetic the gap between the arch and tyre will look odd.
Not sure about the construction but the effect is the same. Less give.
On suspension, th S has active shocks which might permit a slightly softer standard setup as you call still stiffen it up.

PScott543
15-07-18, 23:13
Ok yes, wrote in haste but inaccurate is undesirable either way. Point is, do t fit low profiles to the standard wheels, plus as it’s asthetic the gap between the arch and tyre will look odd.
Not sure about the construction but the effect is the same. Less give.
On suspension, th S has active shocks which might permit a slightly softer standard setup as you call still stiffen it up.

Fair point about the suspension, yes. I forgot mine has active dampers too, I’m not sure what the OPs will be.