PDA

View Full Version : They Shall Not Grow Old

Jimbov8
02-02-19, 22:34
Just watched this and as a ex serviceman myself, what a humbling experience it really is. The horrific scenes these soldiers were apart of truly mark them out as real “heroes”, yet none would think of themselves as such. It’s a great shame there isn’t men of that calibre in this country now.

This film should be shown in schools.

johnandhisjags
03-02-19, 14:15
Just watched this and as a ex serviceman myself, what a humbling experience it really is. The horrific scenes these soldiers were apart of truly mark them out as real “heroes”, yet none would think of themselves as such. It’s a great shame there isn’t men of that calibre in this country now.

I was never in any of the Armed services but have always considered myself lucky to have the freedom I have because of the people who have been willing to defend our Country and our freedoms. It pisses me off to the point of boiling point when I hear or read disrespectful clap trap.
My Dad and his brothers all signed up in 1939 his oldest brother his name sake was killed in 1916 4 years before he was born.
Why we cannot educate people to understand we have what we have in terms of freedom because other people have been willing to die for it really annoys the hell out of me. Rant over.

Corbeliere
03-02-19, 14:30
I also served in the UK forces and those chaps have my utmost respect.

ducmon
04-02-19, 11:12
My great great Grandfather served on the western front. He was a very humble man who never said a word about it. We only found out after his funeral when we found his medals.

The film should be shown in every school throughout Europe.

JimC64
04-02-19, 12:28

Totally agree Jim 100% and yes, should be shown in schools

I was never in any of the Armed services but have always considered myself lucky to have the freedom I have because of the people who have been willing to defend our Country and our freedoms. It pisses me off to the point of boiling point when I hear or read disrespectful clap trap.
My Dad and his brothers all signed up in 1939 his oldest brother his name sake was killed in 1916 4 years before he was born.
Why we cannot educate people to understand we have what we have in terms of freedom because other people have been willing to die for it really annoys the hell out of me. Rant over.

What John said, never in the forces myself although nearly joined up, but have great respect for anyone who was or is on the forces doing their bit, my blood boils when I hear any nonsense or derogatory comments or disrespect in any way shape or form
I too have family who served in the wars as I'm sure most have and am proud of their service

Jim

Fraser
07-02-19, 23:39
My paternal grandfather was in the Navy in WW1 and served on the battleship Dreadnought. He was lucky, because it was built in 1906 and by 1916, was too slow to keep up with the rest of the Grand Fleet. A fellow Ulsterman, who was with him at Portsmouth when they were posted to their ships, was posted to the Queen Mary, a battlecruiser, (these were often called "eggshells armed with sledgehammers). At the Battle of Jutland the Queen Mary was hit by several heavy shells, and blew up with the loss of all bar about 4 of her crew. My other grandfather was in a reserved occupation as an engine designer at Scotts Shipbulding & Engineering on the Clyde at Greenock. Scotts did a lot of work on warships, especially submarines, and were pioneers on them. My father served in the RAF in WW2 as a radio mechanic, ending up at Achmer aerodrome in Germany when the war ended. I have his campaign medals in the bureau. Not a hero, but he "did his bit" as so many did. I always say that the real heros are those who are not "gung-ho" and who don't want to go to war, but do their duty diligently and without complaint