Jaguar Forum banner

Suitable Replacement Front Disc Pads

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  12RM 
#1 ·
One other thing that was picked up by Jaguar during the recent service was that the front pads will need replacing. They said that they were 85% worn.

I had them checked at a brake specalist who thought 75%.

Apparently they are very easy to change, so I'm looking for recomendations for the manufacturer to go for.

Car is 2000 3.0L manual

#2 ·
According to the JTIS CD you're supposed to use a piston retraction tool and new caliper bolts when replacing pads. The bolts probably fatigue fail if unloaded/reloaded so I'd try to get some off Jaguar. Piston retraction tools are generally available from motor factors.

I've no idea what manufacturer is best or even OEM standard. Jaguars traditionally had Dunlop disk brakes or Bendix drums (back in the day).

#4 ·
Hi 12RM,

Is there any reason why you are replacing the discs as well?

Are you intending to replace the caliper bolts as mairfrog has suggested? I doubt if you would get the bolts replaced if you were to go to one of these Kwik Fit type of places for pads replacement.

And I'm particularily interested if you can push the calipers apart by hand or if you have no choice but to use this piston retraction tool.

#5 ·
The car has done 55k miles, pads are about 3/4 worn, it is an auto so is fairly heavy on the brakes. The discs will not last the life of new pads and I am getting a ball joint replaced soon they have to come off on one side anyway. I had the nearside ball joint done a few months ago but was advised not to do the other one untill I had to (I had bought two). Therefore when the guys are in there they said they would fit them for me - saves me an hours work.

The pistons should just push back, remember to watch the level of the brake fluid in case it overflows the reservior.
The rear brake pistons have to be wound back with a tool due to the self adjusting action of the handbrake - which I did as soon as I got the car 2 years ago - I could see I would have to do them at some point. I chose to do it when the weather was good and managed to borrow the tool. Easy job - with the tool anyway, although I beleive it can be done without it using long nosed pliers.

Regards

Robert

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.