Jaguar Forum banner

Peckforton Castle XE Event - Licence Validation

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Keith Straw 
#1 ·
Hey Guys

I was looking forward to test driving the XE at the Peckforton Castle event on the 19th. However, today I received an email from a company called Fleet Claims Administration, an organisation about which I know nothing. They claim they are validating my licence ready for the Peckforton event, but there is no reference to, or authorisation by, Jaguar for this process. I then looked through the form they required me to fill in and it requires one to authorise Experian to retain my information so that they may "use [my] details in the future to assist other companies for verification purposes".

I am sorry, but the XE is not attractive enough for me to fall for this fisching exercise by Experian and their associates. I have told Jaguar to either confirm their employment of this organisation and remove the retention clause or cancel my involvement at the event.

Have you checked who is collecting your personal details on the sly?

Keith

#2 ·
Experian (best known as a credit reference agency) hold information about you, without seeking permission, and then charge you for letting you know what they know.
The Federation of Small Businesses (that I have now left because of this) shared my contact details with others. 90% of my business e-mail is now junk, despite my business website having an anti spam program so that my e-mail isn't directly accessible.
Charities have been in the news recently for selling on contact details of those who freely donate.
The whole thing is a disgusting abuse of privacy, and I would decline the test drive under those circumstances for the same reasons.

G
#3 ·
The whole issue of privacy is a joke, and the fact that most sites and google is a leader in this are able to sell info about you and make a profit, as most times by agreeing their terms and conditions this is stated, and the internet which was a great place, has now been taken over by business, for mainly that sole purpose. :-(

#4 ·
Fleet Claims Administration is genuine, you should have had an email and/or text from Jaguar advising they would be contacting you - have you checked your spam/junk email? They provide the insurance cover for the Jaguar fleet. IIRC I checked a box saying they could not use data elsewhere.

#5 ·
Yes, the Jaguar message arrived after the Fleet Claims Administration message. I have checked the message in detail and there is no option to limit their use of your data. If you have responded to the Fleet Claim email, you have given away your contact details, not only to Fleet Claims, but Experian and any other company they choose to use. Experian may use your data in any way they wish in the operation of their own business.

#6 ·
All I can say is I've not noticed any increase in junk mail. Experian probably already have most of that data from data held elsewhere for credit scoring purposes. Don't let it spoil a good day out, I enjoyed it.

#7 ·
Information security is something of a family business and our experience with companies such as Experian says that extra spam is the least of your problems. Their current scam is to publicly offer free use of their service for a month. They actually use the trial period to capture your personal information and your usage patterns. They then retain that information for use in their onwards sales to their commercial clients, whether you take up their service or not.

Since I am not in the market for the XE in any of its current versions, I would rather protect my personal information position than have a fun drive.

It is a dangerous world we live in today. Bring back the sabre-toothed tiger. At least you knew when they were chomping on your assets!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.