Page 240 of 250 FirstFirst ... 140190230236237238239240241242243244 ... LastLast
Results 2,391 to 2,400 of 2498

Thread: Breaking News

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by S-Type Owner View Post
    My point, which was apparently missed, is look to your own house before you criticize someone else's. Here in the US, often it is the areas with the most stringent gun control measures in place that suffer the highest levels of gun violence, Chicago/Cook County, and Baltimore, Maryland, being prime examples...

The most recent event, which sparked this discussion occurred in California, my home state, which has some of the toughest gun control laws in the US and is often cited as a "model" for the rest of the country.

What (somewhat) works in one country may not work in another.
    Don't take offence bud.

We are always saddened by these frequent murders of innocents in the USA.

Gangs here in the UK have told our Ross Kemp that they can order any weapon they want and it's delivered to them within hours too.

We can only guess and hope that total restrictions on assault weapons might reduce these wanton murders, but as knife attacks in both our countries are extremely high too it's only part of a much larger problem.

No police force or security can prevent a lone killer doing this in an unprotected school or church or synagogue or mosque or market or store or neighbourhood.

How about we round up all potential mass killers once they are seen to be following the pattern of previous mass shooters, before they go over the edge?

Wouldn't that raise public anger? It certainly would in the UK.

So what else can we suggest or consider?

2. Likes S-Type Owner liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Hayward View Post
    Yes, cars can be used to kill people. However, both cars, and people are heavily regulated/licenced.

I agree, people are the problem, that is why there should be strict controls over who can have them, and what is available to buy. No one needs an AR15 - that would be a good start.
    When the Russians left the eastern European countries you could openly buy an AK47 hand grenades, mines, sams and if you had enough money I expect nukes. So nobody knows how many illegal weapons there are in Germany. Every time somebody gets shoot in America it is on the news.

I am not saying that it is alright or that it blown out of proportion but do you know that there was a drive by shooting 20 km South of Berlin yesterday. It is happening all over the world and the world is becoming more dangerous. Just look how road rage was unknown 20 years ago. The more people get alienated from one another and think in stereotypes. The worse it will get.

If a person wants to go and kill others they will do it either with guns or explosives like what happened in Russia this week. What we have to look for is the deep rooted causes rather than easy answers.

I personally would not like to live in a society where you have to be armed to go out but that is because of where I was born and my upbringing.

I count my self as being lucky.
    Grumpy Old Git
    “When a government is dependent upon bankers for money, they and not the leaders of the government control the situation, since the hand that gives is above the hand that takes. Money has no motherland; financiers are without patriotism and without decency; their sole object is gain.”
    Napoléon Bonaparte

2003 (botox) S type 3.0 sport with manual gearbox, as rare as rocking horse apples

4. Likes S-Type Owner liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the link, Thomas Hayward. The bottom line is, however, that people will use whatever means that are at hand to commit mayhem if that is their intent, regulations or strict licensing schemes notwithstanding. Sad but true, I am afraid.
    2003 S-Type 3.0, Zircon with the "Premium Package"...

6. Likes payno liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, sadly the statistics speak for themselves.

The US has six times the population of Britain, but one-hundred and sixty times more homicides related to guns.

Criminals will always get hold of guns, that's what they do. That something we all have to accept. It's why the UK has police departments trained in firearms.

However, the mass murders commited in the US are frequently by people with no convictions at all. Or no prior warning they were a risk, with guns they purchased. The guy in Las Vegas for example.

Aside from the statistic in the first paragraph I think this says everything. Gun control is needed. They've tried throwing more guns at the problem, it hasn't worked. Time for something different. What have they got to lose?

Quote Originally Posted by ducmon View Post
    When the Russians left the eastern European countries you could openly buy an AK47 hand grenades, mines, sams and if you had enough money I expect nukes. So nobody knows how many illegal weapons there are in Germany. Every time somebody gets shoot in America it is on the news.

I am not saying that it is alright or that it blown out of proportion but do you know that there was a drive by shooting 20 km South of Berlin yesterday. It is happening all over the world and the world is becoming more dangerous. Just look how road rage was unknown 20 years ago. The more people get alienated from one another and think in stereotypes. The worse it will get.

If a person wants to go and kill others they will do it either with guns or explosives like what happened in Russia this week. What we have to look for is the deep rooted causes rather than easy answers.

I personally would not like to live in a society where you have to be armed to go out but that is because of where I was born and my upbringing.

I count my self as being lucky.

Post Thanks / Like
    Absolutely, that isn't up for debate. However, let's at least try to make things more difficult for them? Note they were talking about more stringent checks for car hire.

Quote Originally Posted by S-Type Owner View Post
    Thanks for the link, Thomas Hayward. The bottom line is, however, that people will use whatever means that are at hand to commit mayhem if that is their intent, regulations or strict licensing schemes notwithstanding. Sad but true, I am afraid.

Post Thanks / Like
    Look at this chaps:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-46150847

"Telemachus Orfanos, 27, died alongside 11 others when a man opened fire at the Borderline Bar and Grill in Thousand Oaks, north-west of Los Angeles.

He escaped death last year when a gunman killed 58 people in Las Vegas.

A number of survivors of that shooting, the worst in modern US history, have said they were at the bar on Wednesday."

10. Thanks payno thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    "My son was in Las Vegas with a lot of his friends and he came home. He didn't come home last night," his mother told ABC News.
    "I don't want prayers, I don't want thoughts, I want gun control", she said.
    I found the above poignant
    S TYPE R 2003
    BMW M3 EVOLUTION 1998
    You can not beat me in a argument
    I am too stupid to know when I am beaten

12. Likes Thomas Hayward, Jim_S-V6_2004 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    But they won't ever get it. As long as they think Zombies exist.

I have no doubt it's a lovely country but I have no desire to go there because the press they get when these deranged shooters kill people for no reason means that I wouldn't feel safe. I worked in the centre of London last just yards from Westminster when that officer was stabbed. Thiskindof disruption is common,we are lcky that the options for multiple killings are limited, the next attack could be anything and we have to be happy that our security forces are up to the task.

We definitely shouldn't be reducing their funding, the way I see it most of the attention is focussed on London, when there's an incident there are more coppers waving guns about than the average cowboy movie.If these terrorists ever decided to have a go in Luton, or Southampton even I suspect the respnse wouldn't be there in the same numbers.

Not in Scotland though. Last time they tried it they got beaten up quite badly by the locals IIRC...
    2001 3.0 SE Auto, Satnav, winter pack. Dark Blue, all the toys.
    2004 3.0 Sovereign Estate. Winter pack. Fixed. For Sale.
    2005 Estate X type 2.2 Sport.
    2000 V8 3.2 XJ8 LWB. "Prom" car. Lovely. Should sell this one too really...
    2005 "AllyCat", 3.0 XJ6 SE.
    2000 S type 4.0 V8. Latest toy.
    VFR800A and a VFR 800F

Still beating cancer. Trevor 2, Cancer 0.

Sure I took the Red pill....

14. Likes Jim_S-V6_2004 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Lost It,

I'm fairly certain that in the event of a terrorist attack (or another similar incident involving firearms), Bedfordshire Police, no doubt have a well armed, and trained, armed response unit.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost it View Post
    But they won't ever get it. As long as they think Zombies exist.

I have no doubt it's a lovely country but I have no desire to go there because the press they get when these deranged shooters kill people for no reason means that I wouldn't feel safe. I worked in the centre of London last just yards from Westminster when that officer was stabbed. Thiskindof disruption is common,we are lcky that the options for multiple killings are limited, the next attack could be anything and we have to be happy that our security forces are up to the task.

We definitely shouldn't be reducing their funding, the way I see it most of the attention is focussed on London, when there's an incident there are more coppers waving guns about than the average cowboy movie.If these terrorists ever decided to have a go in Luton, or Southampton even I suspect the respnse wouldn't be there in the same numbers.

Not in Scotland though. Last time they tried it they got beaten up quite badly by the locals IIRC...
    2002 Ford Mondeo 2.0 TdCI Blue
    2006 Jaguar XK (Aluminium) 4.2 Indigo Metallic

Post Thanks / Like
    Heart-breaking Jim, surviving one mass shooting only to perish in another. His poor parents.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim_S-V6_2004 View Post
    2002 Ford Mondeo 2.0 TdCI Blue
    2006 Jaguar XK (Aluminium) 4.2 Indigo Metallic

Page 240 of 250 FirstFirst ... 140190230236237238239240241242243244 ... LastLast