Page 283 of 312 FirstFirst ... 183233273279280281282283284285286287293 ... LastLast
Results 2,821 to 2,830 of 3115

Thread: Breaking News

Post Thanks / Like
    I switched to LED bulbs in my house last year.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-46741346
    2003 Jaguar XJ8 (X350) 4.2 Silver
    2006 Jaguar XK (X150) 4.2 Indigo Metallic

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Hayward View Post
    I switched to LED bulbs in my house last year.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-46741346
    I've been switching over for the last couple of years. My house had a lot of 50w 12v halogens. The heat they kicked out made it obvious how inneficient they were but they did put out a lot of light. I've swapped virtually all to LEDs now but in doing so, I've noticed a lot of the LED "Equivalent" bulbs are nothing of the sort. In almost all cases, if I had a 60w bulb, I've had to replace it with an LED that says it's the equivalent of a 100w to get similar light from it.
    So anyone swapping, take the claims on the boxes with a pinch of salt.
    On the upside, not only do you reduce the power requirement by 90% but they also last a lot longer. I tend to get mine from a local wholesaler as retail prices are crazy. There are some good deals around though.
    2012 XF 3.0D S Premium Luxury

Post Thanks / Like
    I swapped them in the summer, I haven't replaced a single bulb, so far. They work with dimmer switches too, unlike traditional energy saving bulbs which give off an annoying flicker unless you turn up the wick fully.

Quote Originally Posted by jberks View Post
    I've been switching over for the last couple of years. My house had a lot of 50w 12v halogens. The heat they kicked out made it obvious how inneficient they were but they did put out a lot of light. I've swapped virtually all to LEDs now but in doing so, I've noticed a lot of the LED "Equivalent" bulbs are nothing of the sort. In almost all cases, if I had a 60w bulb, I've had to replace it with an LED that says it's the equivalent of a 100w to get similar light from it.
    So anyone swapping, take the claims on the boxes with a pinch of salt.
    On the upside, not only do you reduce the power requirement by 90% but they also last a lot longer. I tend to get mine from a local wholesaler as retail prices are crazy. There are some good deals around though.

Post Thanks / Like
    You have to be sure to buy dimmable ones Thomas.

I got our ecos around 6 years ago when they were subsidised at £1 per bulb, as you say Jeremy, the output isn't what is claimed, but it all helps.

Recently I bought a bunch of the newest Corn LED bulbs and fitted E14, E27 and G9, each type are about £15 for 10. I bought the 8Watt.

One of each blew within 3 months.

The rest are still OK.

I ordered another set of G9 but Cool white, because the warm white are like 25 watt bulbs. Awful light.

Of course the ones that arrived are enormous and won't fit in the lamps.

So... Ordered yet another set.

Guess what. Still twice the size of the original ones. The pics on eBay didn't show the actual bulbs.

It's just more landfill as I've been saying.

The chinks are turning the money from this crap into weapons and ships and planes.

They just refreshed their intention to annexe Taiwan even if by force.

The "EU" just uses courts to enforce fines.

Do you think China will pay up, or stop hostilities?

Not on our Dis-Unified Nelly.

Who's next?

Post Thanks / Like
    That is the problem with buying off the internet, you get a gist but not the whole story, hence why I generally end up down the local wholesaler where I can actually open the box. I've tended to find that LEDs will either blow within a few weeks or else last for years.
    I have 12 in the kitchen ceiling and when I swapped them over, I must have subsequently replaced at least 6 over the following few months but since then to be honest I can't remember the last time I swapped one out. In contrast, I used to always keep a dozen halogens and numerous other bulbs in stock as there was always one or two that needed changing. I very rarely change a bulb now.

Cool/warm, i tend to vary - so warm in the hallways and bedrooms where sharp light is innapropriate but cool in the kitchen where warm are a) not quite as bright and b) make white cupboard doors look nicotine stained.

For the Chinese, we have on one side, Trump with his "I'll fight you all" attitude and on the other we have most of western Europe with the "we once oppressed you so now we can't challenge you on anything - sorry to trouble you" left wing attitude. I'm no fan of Trump, I think he's a very blunt instrument and lacks the intellect for complex negotiations, but having said that, he seems to be getting results, be that North Korea, China and the Arab world, albeit he's had some help from recent events, so what do I know!
    What I do know, is the Chinese attitude is clearly one of "we don't care what you think" and their business practices would be criminal in any western democracy so certainly the "left" perspective is doomed and maybe the blunt instrument is what we need.
    2012 XF 3.0D S Premium Luxury

Post Thanks / Like
    Anyhow, I looked at the price of insuring an 2004 XJ8, verses the price of insuring a diesel 2005 XJ6. The XJ8, is cheaper. Despite having considerably more performance. Insurance companies really do make it up as they go along. 😂
    Last edited by Thomas Hayward; 13-01-19 at 12:31.

Post Thanks / Like
    This chap's got it right...

https://edition-m.cnn.com/2019/01/02...ina/index.html

But how long will he last?

Trump the Chump still thinks he's running a private company.

Post Thanks / Like
    when I take the Dog for a walk at night I am always amazed at how many house have outside lights on. I dont mean 1 I see houses with 10 or even 20 outside lights on and its mostly vanity so stopping these alone would have some effect.

9. Likes Thomas Hayward liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think security lights that switch on when someone walks up your drive, are fine. But why anyone would want their house permanently illuminated, is beyond me.

"Hey, see my nice things? Come and burgle me!"

Quote Originally Posted by johnandhisjags View Post
    when I take the Dog for a walk at night I am always amazed at how many house have outside lights on. I dont mean 1 I see houses with 10 or even 20 outside lights on and its mostly vanity so stopping these alone would have some effect.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Hayward View Post
    On another matter...

My father's Mondeo, sadly appears to be on its last legs. The clutch, DMF, slave cylinder need to be replaced, and I'm looking at £650. In addition to this, the MOT is due in April. So God only know what might rear its head then.

On a car that is worth £400, I may be approaching the point where sentimental attachment, may need to be overruled by common sense. So I have a decision to make about whether to trade in the Mondeo, before the DMF fails, or get it fixed and keep it.

Anyhow, I looked at the price of insuring an 2004 XJ8, verses the price of insuring a diesel 2005 XJ6. The XJ8, is cheaper. Despite having considerably more performance. Insurance companies really do make it up as they go along. ��
    Sorry to hear about your dad's car - would it be worth maybe getting a pre-MOT sort of check done to see what it might want, and then make a decision from there? Sadly, this is the problem with things like turbos and DMF's, it is those that end a cars life nowadays and not corrosion like it used to be. On the upside, if you get an XJ8, at least you will have a big grin on your face - they are a hoot for such a big car.
    ex - 2002 X-Type 2.5 V6; 1995 XJ Sport 3.2; 1998 Mercedes C180 Elegance; VW Passat 2.0TDI (140); Audi A4 Avant 2.0TDI; Nissan Qashqai 1.5dCi; Current - 2007 XJ 4.2 V8 Sovereign, and occasionally an Electric Wheelchair!

It wasn't me! A big boy done it and ran away.

12. Likes Thomas Hayward liked this post
Page 283 of 312 FirstFirst ... 183233273279280281282283284285286287293 ... LastLast