Page 535 of 558 FirstFirst ... 35435485525531532533534535536537538539545 ... LastLast
Results 5,341 to 5,350 of 5578

Thread: Breaking News

Post Thanks / Like
    regarding reduced emission motoring,hydrogen could be one of the answers.

https://www.itm-power.com/press/news-announcements

I bought shares several years ago and watched my £500 become less than £100,then sold out at breakeven + 10% about two months back,current price would have given me a 100% + profit.....

(were's the head banging smiley when I need one?)

But it does look like this may become viable sooner rather than later.
    2000 S Type manual(now sold and replaced with a Transit Connect that ate it's engine in Spain and replaced with another Connect known as the Micro Stealth Camper) BMW E30 cabbie in the very rare neon green colour and a Nissan Micra for 'er indoors!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello F.C.,

Nuclear is the obvious solution you would think. But the influence of the green blob and the cost in getting approval and finace is making them expensive.
    The Comittee for Climate Change, who advise the government seem set on renewables and carbon capture and storage, which is yet to be developed on a large scale. Even if it is it is hugely inefficient. Those and hydrogen but that entails a lot of CO2 in it's manufacture.
    At least France is seeing sense (how could they otherwise) in postponing the planned closures of many of their nuclear plants. Germany is still going ahead with their closures. So even countries naturally ahead of the U.K. seem intent on going backwards.

Alec
    2004 2.5 X Type Estate, MK 2 3.8 (Long term restoration), 2.5 P.I. Triumph saloon, 564 Hymer motorhome.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fat controller View Post
    Thank you piman - there are many hidden problems with renewables that don't get talked about enough, not least the environmental costs involved in construction, installation and disposal. Following on from your post, I read somewhere (a year or so ago) that the electronics involved in stabilising the grid are more prolific than people realise and are now even having to be placed in sites local to housing to cope with the fluctuations coming from homeowner's solar panels feeding into the grid. The costs involved are not insubstantial either, and of course will all simply make their way onto our bills one way or another. I'm sure I read that it was also the case that intentional brownouts would be used less and less, instead preferring to blackout sections of the grid, as it was easier for the grid to recover from; as you say though, recovering from blackouts is not just as simple as flicking a switch back on, so there is the potential for those to become more problematic too.

The only way I can see that we can get to the intended point, is to have a raft of new nuclear power stations.
    Wasn't nuclear power first talked about in the 1960s ?.....
    Looks like someone in authority needs to come up with it again .....But as " their new idea " for the future ?...That normally how it works ?....

Look at the latest new coal mine just opened in Cumbria ...

Could coal powered powers stations ...Also be the new way forward ?....

Nope soon too soon for that idea eh ?

4. Likes fat controller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Peter,

The first running power stations were in the mid fifties. There is a lot of talk of modular smaller nuclear plants but little action as to actually using them. Rolls Royce are involved in this. Cheaper and quicker to build, and inherently safer due to being smaller.

I have read that new coal power stations today are vastly superior in reducing CO2 per Mwatt and very clean on other emissions (Much as IC engines have progressed). But they are all lumped together.

Alec
    2004 2.5 X Type Estate, MK 2 3.8 (Long term restoration), 2.5 P.I. Triumph saloon, 564 Hymer motorhome.

6. Thanks Peterthejagman thanked for this post
    Likes Peterthejagman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by piman View Post
    Hello Peter,

The first running power stations were in the mid fifties. There is a lot of talk of modular smaller nuclear plants but little action as to actually using them. Rolls Royce are involved in this. Cheaper and quicker to build, and inherently safer due to being smaller.

I have read that new coal power stations today are vastly superior in reducing CO2 per Mwatt and very clean on other emissions (Much as IC engines have progressed). But they are all lumped together.

Alec
    Thanks Alec .....I understand the same applies to diesel engines too ?....In fact the new ones give out less pollution than petrol engines !

8. Likes fat controller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by E30MW View Post
    regarding reduced emission motoring,hydrogen could be one of the answers.

https://www.itm-power.com/press/news-announcements

I bought shares several years ago and watched my £500 become less than £100,then sold out at breakeven + 10% about two months back,current price would have given me a 100% + profit.....

(were's the head banging smiley when I need one?)

But it does look like this may become viable sooner rather than later.
    Again ?..Weren't hydrogen vehicles 1st talked about in the 1970s ?

10. Likes fat controller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by E30MW View Post
    So it is reasonably fair to say that we do not,yet,have the infrastructure in place to supply a totally EV UK?

(fat controller,I have been a bus driver in my dirty disgusting past,and us drivers refered to 'inspectors and Regulators' using the Thomas the Tank Engine description.... so I thought that you may be involved in the industry)

I would expect that future governments will 'push back' the change-over date,whilst still milking the private motorist at every oppotunity.

Will next month's budget,for example,remove the zero rated VED for low emission ICE cars?
    My uncle worked for the electricity board back in the 1970s 1980s a I remember him testing a new electric car !..People laughed and said it will never catch on ?....They also laughed at sir Clive Sinclair and his Sinclair 5 ?.....

Then someone came up with the idea of ..!!!!!....Wait for it ......!....

An electric car ?..

Thank God for reinvention eh ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Peterthejagman View Post
    My uncle worked for the electricity board back in the 1970s 1980s a I remember him testing a new electric car !..People laughed and said it will never catch on ?....They also laughed at sir Clive Sinclair and his Sinclair 5 ?.....

Then someone came up with the idea of ..!!!!!....Wait for it ......!....

An electric car ?..

Thank God for reinvention eh ?
    There is very little mainstream coverage of the possible emergence of the Aluminium-Air-Water battery.
    OK, the mindset of refuelling would have to change, and service stations would have to stock the new batteries, there would have to be distribution, and compatibility.
    The estimates I have seen give the "average" range of a battery as about twice a tankful of fuel.
    Presently filling up takes a few minutes, and there is no reason why the battery location and ease of changing should not be as quick to change the old for new.
    The batteries are said to be totally recyclable; that is, in a similar fashion to drink cans, and there is no shortage of the raw material anyway (so I read).
    Incidentally, some boffin has come up with an electrolyte that you can drink (eh!?).
    Distribution and collection of dead batteries could be as efficient as tankers trundling all over the country, I would imagine.
    Discuss ...
    The world is my lobster!
    Workhorse: "Ounce" - White Jag X-Type Estate 2.2D 2009 Executive auto.
    Fun: "La Gata Negra" - All black (Haria) Pug RCZ 2.0 HDI 2014 Swiss spec fully loaded.
    Runabout: "Purple People Eater" - Purple Pug 108 1.2 PureTech 2016 Top fully loaded.
    Sack shifter: "Animal" - Dirty Linhai 300 4x4 ATV 2007.

13. Likes fat controller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stewartw View Post
    There is very little mainstream coverage of the possible emergence of the Aluminium-Air-Water battery.
    OK, the mindset of refuelling would have to change, and service stations would have to stock the new batteries, there would have to be distribution, and compatibility.
    The estimates I have seen give the "average" range of a battery as about twice a tankful of fuel.
    Presently filling up takes a few minutes, and there is no reason why the battery location and ease of changing should not be as quick to change the old for new.
    The batteries are said to be totally recyclable; that is, in a similar fashion to drink cans, and there is no shortage of the raw material anyway (so I read).
    Incidentally, some boffin has come up with an electrolyte that you can drink (eh!?).
    Distribution and collection of dead batteries could be as efficient as tankers trundling all over the country, I would imagine.
    Discuss ...
    I believe that the guy in question is an ex British Aero Space engineer.
    It a sixty’s technology but in those days the electrolyte was very toxic. He has Developed and patented a safe electrolyte. In His demo is he uses an old coke can and fills it with his secret liquid and drinks a mouthful
    The filled can then runs an electric fan for up to 3 months( must be a long boring demo).
    His idea of logistics and he is apparently talking to supermarket chains about this of them stocking the said batteries for customers to have them changed when they run out. The target time will be around 10-15 minutes.

Same size batteries as Electric cars should give 1500 miles between changes.Expected cost to be 6-7 pence per mile. Although the revenue would probably apply a huge tax and call it fuel duty
    He has set up a business in Essex to produce these.
    The first vehicles he is planning is Tut-Tuts.

If it all all works the beauty of it is that it needs very little additional infrastructure and no Drain on the network.
    And no pollution making the batteries.
    Just getting the supply and change out process worked out.

Seems too good to be true
    XK 150 4.2 2006 black convertible

15. Likes fat controller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nuclear was dealt with very badly in the past. Old footage of trains dangerously transporting waste and generally being amateurs.

Those images are possibly what people expect nuclear to be if new stations are built.

I note many attitudes generally on the forum promote an impression that electric vehicles for the masses is an impossible poroblem to solve.

It is to be expected since electric vehicles are not wanted here, any negativity that can be thrown will be lapped up.

I can see the rhetoric in that and therefore don't buy it.

I'm not interested either in owning electric cars, but I suspect that's not enough to prevent them.

Electric cars are a great way to keep engine fumes out of densely populated areas. I expect house prices will go down in higher pollution areas because people are moving away to cleaner air. The younger public don't like taking risks, and they ride bikes to work, because they believe it is right, not because it is the easy option like car driver do for example.

Change is inevitable. Embrace it or it will work against you and you may blame the technology.

When electricity was rolled out it was DC because AC could not be used to drive a motor. They were wrong and changed the infrastructure. 'Can't do' is BS. It is an expression used by those who have not the competence and who wish to purvey an illusion of impossibility to others.
    Last edited by Jag-Black; 14-02-20 at 12:59.
    Vehicle:: 2006 Black Jaguar X400 | 6 Speed Manual Transaxle - MMT6 | Series 60 | 2.2L Duratorq 16V TC (150PS) - Puma | 4 Door Saloon. Upgrades: LED interior light | Leather gear gaiter | Solid wheel nuts Mileage: Approaching 200K miles.Owned since: January 2016 Special features: Attractive driver with GSOH.

17. Likes fat controller liked this post
Page 535 of 558 FirstFirst ... 35435485525531532533534535536537538539545 ... LastLast