Page 121 of 192 FirstFirst ... 2171111117118119120121122123124125131171 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,210 of 1917

Thread: Lesser News

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Jim,

as I understand it is the teaching profession who, with a bee in their bonnet about 'privelige' that brought education to the level of the lowest. Never mind about motivating or pushing the lowest higher, bring the highest down.

Alec
    2004 2.5 X Type Estate, MK 2 3.8 (Long term restoration), 2.5 P.I. Triumph saloon, 564 Hymer motorhome.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by piman View Post
    Hello Jim,

as I understand it is the teaching profession who, with a bee in their bonnet about 'privelige' that brought education to the level of the lowest. Never mind about motivating or pushing the lowest higher, bring the highest down.

Alec
    I'd be interested to know how the 'teaching profession' did this.
    55 X-Type 3.0 Sovereign estate, automatic, midnight blue, barley leather

Previous cars going back through time:
    X-Type 2.2d SE estate, Alfa Romeo GT, Porsche 928, Lexus GS300, Mercedes E320, Mercedes E280, Rover 600, Vauxhall Senator, Opel Ascona, Fiat 127, Dutton Phaeton, Hillman Avenger

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Wilbur,

through their professional bodies influence on government.

Michael Gove was an exception to the rule and much disliked by the teachers.

Alec
    2004 2.5 X Type Estate, MK 2 3.8 (Long term restoration), 2.5 P.I. Triumph saloon, 564 Hymer motorhome.

Post Thanks / Like
    In my experience teachers have been opposed to successive governments' policies forced upon them, going back many years.
    55 X-Type 3.0 Sovereign estate, automatic, midnight blue, barley leather

Previous cars going back through time:
    X-Type 2.2d SE estate, Alfa Romeo GT, Porsche 928, Lexus GS300, Mercedes E320, Mercedes E280, Rover 600, Vauxhall Senator, Opel Ascona, Fiat 127, Dutton Phaeton, Hillman Avenger

5. Likes payno liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Wilber,

my feelings on this go back some years and I really don't know where I go the information from? There has been too much tampering with the education system and it seems that the results have not been for the good?

Alec

Post Thanks / Like
    Knowing some teachers, they have been forced to spend absurd amounts of time scribbling administrative papers and not on their lessons.

None of the active teachers (as against ex teachers now in admin positions) had any interest in strike actions nor in the administration, and said they had no influence on policy and their word did not matter in other than minor matters, because the heads and admins had already made their decisions on those before they came to the teachers with faites accomplis (done deals), only pretending to be asking for their concerns but overriding them.

It's still true today.

A close friend is an ex head of a senior UK school and has also worked as head of two English senior schools in the far and middle east and no longer wanted to be told what to do and only takes fill-in short-term positions so he can keep away from the absurd politics and internal discontent among staff and move on to another school.

Another is a head of 6th form in a private college and works until 9pm every weekday evening and most of every Saturday to catch up on the admin to ensure conformance with M of Ed regulations.

Neither think teaching is teaching any more. Both find students disrespectful and undisciplined. One is about 55 and the other is early thirties.

Yet another friend quit after 2 years of her first teaching position, in her 20s, after finding that the difference in attitude between her age group as a pupil and her own pupils had become enormously worse during the time she was studying to become a teacher.

So I can't find fault with teachers.

Who is left? Budgets, bureaucrats and politicians and Ministers of Education who forgot what education is about.

Post Thanks / Like
    The Rot started back in the 70s.

I found out today that the Cambridge Grammar School no longer exists. It seems it closed in 1971, although I was still at my school until 1972 and thought it existed beyond then:

It seems someone wrote a book on it:
    https://www.amazon.com/Cambridge-Gra.../dp/0950221503

My High School converted to a 6th form college shortly after I "graduated":
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camb...chool_for_Boys

So Cambridge, one of the two Seats of Learning of the UK, has not had a state grammar school since my days. I've not looked back, as they say, and I was unaware.

There were at least two private Grammar schools then, and at least the Perse still exists. It's become co-ed since 2010 it seems.

Rewind is not possible.

Great minds worked wonders over hundreds of years and more to build the UK's education system.

Strong willed fools destroyed it in 2 years or less. Permitted by the Gullible British Public.

"Progress" my arse!

Last edited by Jim_S-V6_2004; 12-07-18 at 21:22.

Post Thanks / Like
    This is the right way to strike deals in your favour.

https://metro.co.uk/2018/07/13/donal...a-may-7712917/

First you tell them "No way can we make a deal with your present management".

Then you meet that very same management when they are shaky, and offer them a big carrot... Which you won't give them complete later unless they give you the concessions you want.

What Trump didn't realise is we aren't at odds... Yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_S-V6_2004 View Post
    What Trump didn't realise is we aren't at odds... Yet.
    Exactly! It depends a lot on who you are dealing with and such methods do not work well with governments. People are starting to see through his rather simplistic tactics as he goes from meeting to meeting either irritating people or thinking he has agreed something which is completely at odds with what the other side thinks. He has lots of bees in his bonnet but does not seem to have dug down far enough to understand the real picture. Still a lot of hot air, every meeting he comes out of was great and he came out on top! But when you look at the facts, not much positive achievement.
    S-Type 3.0 Manual MY2001 in Pacific Blue with Cashmere Leather Sport Seats, Sunroof, Melbourne Alloys, Premium Sound plus some other stuff ... 55k miles.
    XKR 5.0 Speed Pack MY2011 in Polaris White with Ivory/Charcoal Leather, Nevis Alloys and R-Performance Interior plus some other stuff ... 16k miles.
    Hyundai Tucson 1.6T AWD MY2016 in White Sand. Basic, comfortable and surprisingly fast and competent ... 10k miles.
    FIAT Coupe MY1997 in Steel Grey with Tan Leather ... 55k miles.

11. Likes ducmon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    John Surtees' 1957 BMW sells for £4m:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-44826858
    "I know I'm a pessimist because my glass is always half empty...even when it's full".

2009 X-Type 2.2D Sovereign - Indigo Blue with Ivory Leather

13. Thanks payno thanked for this post
Page 121 of 192 FirstFirst ... 2171111117118119120121122123124125131171 ... LastLast