Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Impressed with Winter mode in XKR 5.0 Driving in Snow & Iced roads (UK)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Neilr View Post
    Ignorance is bliss, isn't it
    Perspective is better. So many people just believe what the media tell them to believe.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by simpo3 View Post
    Perspective is better. So many people just believe what the media tell them to believe.
    It is funny how winter tyres are way more commonly available in the UK these days but the winters are getting warmer? The British are buy something they need even less than they did before? Doesn't add up for me.

Only the "blind" will argue that the world is currently not warming. Poles melting, coral reefs being warmed to death, desert areas growing, lakes shrinking. There is more than enough evidence.

One can argue what is causing it and whether we can do anything about it, apart form taxing the motorist, but saying it does not exist; also does not add up for me.
    S-Type 3.0 Manual MY2001 in Pacific Blue with Cashmere Leather Sport Seats, Sunroof, Melbourne Alloys, Premium Sound plus some other stuff ... 55k miles.
    XKR 5.0 Speed Pack MY2011 in Polaris White with Ivory/Charcoal Leather, Nevis Alloys and R-Performance Interior plus some other stuff ... 16k miles.
    Hyundai Tucson 1.6T AWD MY2016 in White Sand. Basic, comfortable and surprisingly fast and competent ... 10k miles.
    FIAT Coupe MY1997 in Steel Grey with Tan Leather ... 55k miles.

Post Thanks / Like
    We are getting off topic but I wasn't sure which part you were referring to.

Buying habits don't follow logic I'm afraid. People buy bottled water because they fear tap water is bad for them, then find that bottled water is worse. Currently everyone thinks electric cars are the answer to averything, but don't stop to wonder where the electricity will come from, or how much of the world will have to be dug up to get the metals for the batteries. I agree you cannot have 7 billion people on the planet without some effect, but much of the fuss is overblown and political.

Presume you'll be doing your bit for climate change and help to save the planet by swapping your 5.0XKR for something small and electric? Nope

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by simpo3 View Post
    We are getting off topic but I wasn't sure which part you were referring to.

Buying habits don't follow logic I'm afraid. People buy bottled water because they fear tap water is bad for them, then find that bottled water is worse. Currently everyone thinks electric cars are the answer to averything, but don't stop to wonder where the electricity will come from, or how much of the world will have to be dug up to get the metals for the batteries. I agree you cannot have 7 billion people on the planet without some effect, but much of the fuss is overblown and political.

Presume you'll be doing your bit for climate change and help to save the planet by swapping your 5.0XKR for something small and electric? Nope
    Sorry, I really don't think winter tyres are a fashion people are following - Tyres are reluctant purchases driven by need not desire so there must be a need. My experience everytime I'm back in winter supports this. We have had winter tyres on our cars for the last 20+ years out here and in the middle we also seemed to have some mild winters. the recent ones have been more wintery again. Snowy winters in the UK have become more the norm over the last few years. Before we would come back from ice and snow to the usual mild UK winters. Now, quite often, going out on normal tyres seems potty as the weather is equally bad.

Energy has to be looked on as a whole and burning fossil fuels to make electricity for cars may not be particularly advantageous or even doable. No, I'm not going to swap the XKR for an electric car as it is a toy that I only use it occasionally and don't feel too guilty about the slight extra emissions on those special trips. It is not a big contributor. We use more economical cars for our local chores and in total pay a lot of tax especially for the few miles we drive in the bigger-engined cars.

Back to the original topic, it is fairly obvious that that cutting the output will make a powerful car easier to drive in low-grip situations. These cars spin their wheels very easily in the dry! But anecdotal reviews with nothing to compare them to don't really mean much. Sure those journeys reported worked, but would they have been dramatically safer still with a different car, tyres, driver, we don't know, so in the end it is fairly meaningless.
    S-Type 3.0 Manual MY2001 in Pacific Blue with Cashmere Leather Sport Seats, Sunroof, Melbourne Alloys, Premium Sound plus some other stuff ... 55k miles.
    XKR 5.0 Speed Pack MY2011 in Polaris White with Ivory/Charcoal Leather, Nevis Alloys and R-Performance Interior plus some other stuff ... 16k miles.
    Hyundai Tucson 1.6T AWD MY2016 in White Sand. Basic, comfortable and surprisingly fast and competent ... 10k miles.
    FIAT Coupe MY1997 in Steel Grey with Tan Leather ... 55k miles.

Post Thanks / Like
    Personally I'm happy that people seem to be using winter tyres in winter, it means that in conditions like we had a couple of weeks ago more of them are less of a hazard than they'd be on summer tyres.

6. Likes Neilr liked this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123