Thread: Brake Pad Wear

Post Thanks / Like

Brake Pad Wear

My clever car is telling me that I have brake pad wear, so I have two questions:

1. Do I rush it to the dealer, or do I still have some time before the pads turn into scouring pads
    2. It doesn't tell me which pads, so the cynic in me suspects that I am supposed to book the car into my local Jag dealer, who will willingly change all 4 pairs ! (for a pricey sum)

Or, book it into my local garage and ask them to check which ones need changing

Post Thanks / Like
    1. Don’t rush to the dealer, you have plenty of meat left on the pads.
    2. Never just change the one set, change the pair on the axle that is showing the warning.

You could easily inspect the pads yourself to see which set require changing.
    Jim.
    2009 XK 5.0L PortfolioPast:-87'XJS 3.6L, 93'XJ40 3.2L gold, 95'XJ6 4.0L sport, 00'XJ8 3.2L sport, 2005 XK8 4.2L coupe in that order and enjoyed all of 'em.

I do not offer advice, I only say what I would do with the set of circumstances presented. Your choice always.

Post Thanks / Like
    DIY or local trusted garage, a visual inspection will easily shows the pads which are getting low and there will be a 4mm ish left of friction material so no huge hurry (unless you tend to brake the same way my wife does)

Post Thanks / Like
    Agree with Marks_DTM on this one - ideally DIY (at least for the check, so you know if wool is being pulled over your eyes).
    2010 XJ Portfolio running on lorry fuel. I know, Jag Diesel is just wrong!

Post Thanks / Like
    Try kwik fit for a free brake pad inspection before doing anything, if you know a reputable Jag indie they will be a lot cheaper than a main dealer who could charge around £140 an hour labour
    56 plate S type R

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by goshawk View Post
    Try kwik fit for a free brake pad inspection before doing anything
    I'm really not sure that will help, as they will just say everything needs renewing. That's the whole point of offering their "free" inspections, to get the gullible in through the doors.
    2010 XJ Portfolio running on lorry fuel. I know, Jag Diesel is just wrong!

Post Thanks / Like
    Go to your trusted local mechanic. Kwik Fit has been good so far in my experience, my only complaint with them was a small chip on a wheel when I had some tyres fitted... I have had 3 MOTs with them so far, no issues.
    Super V8, X358 Facelift + Portfolio Vents + Wald Spoiler, Black Cherry with Ivory/Charcoal leather + Black SuedeCloth Headliner, Rear Entertainment, Picnic Trays and Split Rear Reclining Seats. 200 Cell Cats, 2.5 SS Custom X-Pipe Exhaust, JagDroid Headunit, Arden Sportlines with 295 rear
    BMW 650i LCI Facelift, Convertible, Black Saphire with Cream/Black interior
    Ex. XJ X350 3.0 Silver/Dove

Post Thanks / Like
    It's worth having a look yourself as no tools are required

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBoy View Post
    I'm really not sure that will help, as they will just say everything needs renewing. That's the whole point of offering their "free" inspections, to get the gullible in through the doors.
    If the car is telling you you have brake pad wear then the pads are obviously getting to there tolerance, on my son's merc CLA the warning comes when the pads reach around 3mm.
    56 plate S type R

Post Thanks / Like
    Update on my brakes - Booked car in for the annual MOT at my local garage - asked them to check all sets of brakes, rear ones were on the limit so I have had them changed - Just don't understand why the car cant simply tell me which pads are worn, rather than just messaging 'Brake Pads Worn'.

So apart from needing two new rear tyres, and getting the sticky door lock switch changed, car went through ok - Find out the cost when I pick it up (I know the cost for the switch is a trifling £176 fitted, plus £220 each for Dunlops) not going to get much change out £800 !!