Thread: The car i have is a salvaged one ???

Post Thanks / Like

The car i have is a salvaged one ???

Hi, i sold a car recently for £5500 & took a £1000 x-type in part x so that i was only now a thousand pound out of pocket. I must admit that i didn't know, but the part x jag was a classed as a salvaged car, IE the car was worth less than what ever damage was done to the car in the past & is a sort of right off.
    Question is: how do i find out about what sort of damage was done to the car. IE: Was it a cat a,b,c,d as i just sold the car a few weeks back & the new owner is the one that has seen this on the log book & is kicking up about it.
    Now, i insured the car & the insurance company didn't say anything & insured it for me with no problems.
    Any idear where i can find the info.

Thanks
    Retired Electrician that now lets rooms.
    Needed some comfort, so purchased a
    X-type 2.0D saloon

Chris's Accommodation

Post Thanks / Like
    A HPI check will easily reveal its history and what category of loss it suffered.
    Current Car:
    2017 XE R-Sport 25t 250Ps 18MY.

Previous Cars:
    2000 S-Type 3.0L SE Auto
    2004 X-Type 3.0L AWD SE Auto estate.
    2007 XK x150 4.2L Coupe

Resident Super Moderator.
    V6 X-Type Oil Sump Replacement Guide

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Who is classing the car as a Salvaged One , how did you find that out ? How did you miss noticing this on the Log Book ?
    Some Insurances Companies won't touch a written off vehicle , in fact most of them . You obviously didnt
    make them aware of that fact . Now of course they have been made aware of it by the new owner and surprise
    surprise there is an issue . At the least its a Cat C in my estimation assuming the facts are as you say , Admiral will insure
    the car but it won't be cheap
    Last edited by reddiesel; 14-01-18 at 17:00.

Post Thanks / Like
    If this was sold by a car dealer then by law he has to tell the customer its a cat C or D

If this is a private sale then the seller is not required to tell the prospective buyer anything unless they specifically ask the question
    S TYPE R 2003
    BMW M3 EVOLUTION 1998
    You can not beat me in a argument
    I am too stupid to know when I am beaten

5. Likes Ian D liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by reddiesel View Post
    Who is classing the car as a Salvaged One , how did you find that out ? How did you miss noticing this on the Log Book ?
    Some Insurances Companies won't touch a written off vehicle , in fact most of them . You obviously didnt
    make them aware of that fact . Now of course they have been made aware of it by the new owner and surprise
    surprise there is an issue . At the least its a Cat C in my estimation assuming the facts are as you say , Admiral will insure
    the car but it won't be cheap
    The salvaged information part was on the bottom of the V5, but i didst know this was an item on the V5 as i have mostly had new cars. Odd thing was when i sold my old car, i transferred the insurance to this jag & no questions was asked & i would have assume the insurance company would of got it flag up, just did it on the phone & took 2 minutes with Saga. Any suggestions on where to get the info on what the damage was?. Will a HPI tell me this. If so, any HPI company recommendations.

CheERS

Just HPI'ed the car with https://www.mycarcheck.com/ & shows a cat C , but no details on what it was
    Last edited by collectors; 15-01-18 at 17:47.
    X-type 2.0D saloon

Chris's Accommodation

Post Thanks / Like
    Cat "D" cars are perfectly OK to reinsure and most insurers will / should insure them no problem. Cat "D" is an uneconomical repair when repairs cost cost around 80% of cars value. This could be just a small dent in a wing or door but at " insurance repair rates"can easily cost more than car is worth . The same repair done privately can cost far less. Damage is usually just minor or cosmetic . Cat " C" usually means damage that is more than just cosmetic and may involve interior, chassis or suspension but still very repairable. Cat C used to have to be examined by a DVLA garage before being allowed back on the road but I don't know if that's still the case. It shouldn't be a problem to a new owner provided repairs are correctly carried and they were made aware of the repairs when buying. If its private sale I dont think there is any come back.These types of repairs are fine and usually done by using secondhand parts. The term "write off" strikes terror into anyone who doesn't understand. If the car is involved in another accident that end in a " write off " then the value would be a lower than a non category c or d car. Cat "A" cars have to be destroyed and cat "B" can only be used for spares.
    As an example, my previous car a Volvo V70 had it bonnet damaged by a falling roof tile. The repairs cost around £2000 by insurance approved repairer. A second hand bonnet and repaint would have cost a 1/4 of that . If the cars value was only around £2000 then it would have been a cat D.
    The secret of flight is to aim at the ground and miss !

2013 Sportbrake 2.2 Sport. Italian Racing Red

Post Thanks / Like
    Lots of perfectly good older cars get written off for salvage by insurance companies where I live if their average market book value is low compared to the potential repair cost. Most suffered relatively minor cosmetic damage from things like hail storms or minor fender benders. Older Jaguars like mine typically book at 5-10% of their original retail price so it doesn't take much to throw them on the salvage pile. My '99 Vanden Plas was a hail damaged car, but a two owner garage kept low mileage local car in otherwise very good mechanical condition with a nice clean interior.
    Great buy for a practical daily driver, cheap enough that I can afford to do maintenance upgrades on a reasonable schedule as needed. Not a showroom classic as far as the bad paint job goes, but that certainly doesn't diminish my driving pleasure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all your input. I gave the buyer the choice of his money back or some discount & he took the discount which was fare on both sides. "Phew" So i'm re-leaved & he is happy & i am still up on the deal all round, minus a couple of beers.
    X-type 2.0D saloon

Chris's Accommodation

Post Thanks / Like
    This is why it is always important to run a VIN check before buying a car. This way, you will be able to understand a unit's vehicle history.