BMW M3 EVOLUTION 1998
    You can not beat me in a argument
    I am too stupid to know when I am beaten

2. Thanks idrobbo thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by payno View Post
    B&M Stores limited availability if your passing its worth a look
    https://www.bmstores.co.uk/products/...p-start-322845
    Thats good value. I have had one of those starter packs for literally years. It is always on charge in my garage. One of those things that are a waste of money..... till you need it. I suppose everyone these days are buying the starter packs the size of a mobile phone. I have one myself. But those you spotted are good value. I may just get another, when I can shake this dam cough etc.
    2003 Zircon Blue XKR Convertible.
    It's in the detail.

To see index of "Franks Story" up to 8th March 2017 Please Click Here. Thanks!

Cannot see any photos? PHOTOBUCKET FIX please CLICK HERE FOR SOLUTION

4. Thanks payno thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Payno,

surely they are just a toy? How long will they crank an engine for, especially diesels in winter? And waht doe sthe 17 amps refer to, it seems a peculiar specification?

Alec
    2004 2.5 X Type Estate, MK 2 3.8 (Long term restoration), 2.5 P.I. Triumph saloon, 564 Hymer motorhome.

6. Thanks payno thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    That does look like a bargain for a tenner.
    I bought one of those mobile phone size starter packs for my son for Christmas.
    It's worked well. I have not had to rescue him this year yet!
    Currently enjoying:
    2007 XKR Convert. Frost Blue, Ivory leather. 32k
    2006 S Type R. Slate Grey, Dove Grey leather. Full Burr Walnut upgrade, Rear DVD screens. 64k.
    1999 XKR Convert. Meteorite Silver with Ivory leather. 79k.
    Previously enjoyed: 1970 XL6 4.2 1974; 1982 XJS HE V12 5.3 1987 - 1990; 2000 S Type 3.0 manual 2001-2015; 1998 XK8 Convert Mar/Apr 2016. 2009 Red XK convert Nov 2016 to March 2017: 2010 All black XKR May to Oct 2017: 2009 Green XKR convert. 28k miles.Mar to July 2018

8. Thanks payno thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by piman View Post
    Hello Payno,

surely they are just a toy? How long will they crank an engine for, especially diesels in winter? And waht doe sthe 17 amps refer to, it seems a peculiar specification?

Alec
    Your better off asking Frank as he said he has had one of those for years (so I guess it must work ok on his 4.2)
    I just posted in case a fellow member was looking for a nice cheap one
    I have an old Gunson's jump pack but never needed to use on the STR yet but worked well on my 3.2 a few years a go
    S TYPE R 2003
    BMW M3 EVOLUTION 1998
    You can not beat me in a argument
    I am too stupid to know when I am beaten

10. Likes Jimbov8 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by payno View Post
    Your better off asking Frank as he said he has had one of those for years (so I guess it must work ok on his 4.2)
    I just posted in case a fellow member was looking for a nice cheap one
    I have an old Gunson's jump pack but never needed to use on the STR yet but worked well on my 3.2 a few years a go
    Yep they do work really well. To be honest though my cars usually start on first crank. My battery was on its way out in the Jag, despite passing a couple of tests and the cell window showing green. Also helped out a couple of neighbours who needed a jump start. Much better than a couple of jumper cables. My friend who used to do road rescue for Green Flag always carried one in his cab. So a Toy? Certainly not. Probably more umph in it than be cell phone sized one. Just had a thought............ brb.

Back so Update.

Ok this is quite old, 2008? However it does not invalidate their findings. Worth a read.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accesso...-jumpstart-910

Logically the 'doubt' factor should be reversed in this situation. I find it hard to believe that something the size of a large box of matches has more umph than something 6 or more times its size and weight.

Not going to be a hypocrite though I should admit I did buy myself and a couple of friends these for Christmas https://www.amazon.co.uk/NOCO-GB70-U.../dp/B016UG6PWE handy to stick in my kit in the boot for an emergency.
    Last edited by frankc; 21-01-18 at 12:33.
    2003 Zircon Blue XKR Convertible.
    It's in the detail.

To see index of "Franks Story" up to 8th March 2017 Please Click Here. Thanks!

Cannot see any photos? PHOTOBUCKET FIX please CLICK HERE FOR SOLUTION

12. Thanks payno thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've had to get the RAC out twice over the years to start my XType 2.0 Diesel and on both occasions they first tried with a portable power pack. Neither would turn it over fast enough to start. They had to couple it up to their vans batteries with the engine running to get enough juice to jump start. Since then I've never thought about buying one of these. And I don't believe the mobile phone battery technology options will work either - but have no desire to be stranded somewhere to try one out!

Ian C
    2005 2.0D SE Estate

14. Likes frankc, payno liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    i have one of those that i mainly use for the air compressor but i have used it to start neighbours cars and vans and it does work well and i also have a clarke 4000 from machine mart which is very good and i think would start anything
    x type 3.0 auto sovereign and kawasaki zx10r

16. Thanks payno thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Did anyone actually manage to find one at a store? If you look on the B&M website, they give you the numbers of stores near to you, but when you ring these numbers you are told they are unable to discuss stock levels on any products - so a complete waste of the phone calls. It seems that even store to store communications don't work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Most of these jump start packs have a 17Ah or 20Ah battery in , a good battery will deliver 400 amps for around 5 or 6 seconds.

A £10 battery is not going to start many diesels I'm sure ...........

I have a Sealey 3000 which is 12 / 24v , batteries in parallel for 12v and series for 24v , as per above post - never used much

A cheap one as a chassis is good enough if you want to buy a good 17Ah cranking battery , this will cost you around £100

http://uk.farnell.com/yuasa/np18-0-1...18ah/dp/174816
    2009 X358 XJ LWB 2.7 Tdvi , Liquid Silver , 100k+ and going strong.
    Bumper reflectors drilled and fitted with 3W side marker lights.
    Fog lamps / DRL running with HID colour match of dipped beam.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast