Thread: Manual choke conversion

Post Thanks / Like

Manual choke conversion

The electric choke on my Sovereign 4.2 Series 1 is too troublesome. I can’t get it to idle when cold and it takes several attempts to start.

Have any of you done a manual choke conversion? If so what’s involved? Parts required?

Post Thanks / Like
    SNG Barratt do a new AED for the series 1 at £293 or a manual choke conversion for £120 (ref TZX1002U). The conversion involves replacing the bimetallic strips at the top with tappets and cams on a shaft (the bottom of the AED is retained) and adding a cable/knob for manual operation. There is also a diaphragm inside the AED to replace. Once fitted, the trick is to get the unit tuned correctly - it took me quite a few attempts to get mine right but the car will now start easily on choke with no throttle and idles happily at book RPM both hot and cold. You should only need full choke for the first few seconds of running or the engine will stall due to over richness - ease off the choke control as soon as you can. Don't forget to check the hot air intake pipe from the exhaust manifold (which I retained) and that the original AED and SUs are not entirely independent in supplying fuel/air to the inlet manifold (re-tuning required). Whilst you are at it I would suggest an AED overhaul kit (also from SNGB) and an overhaul of the SUs.

The Daimler S1 cars are rare now - yours must be a very early one with an "H" plate - mine is on a "K".

Good luck

Robbie

Post Thanks / Like
    Just had a further thought. I am assuming your engine is fitted with HS8 carburettors and the AED. Some very early engines were fitted with HD8s and an electrically operated solenoid starting carburettor (choke). My suggestions given above are for the HS8/AED system. The HS8/AED system was fitted from engine numbers 7G.16693 and 7L.26480.

Robbie