Thread: Starter motor

Post Thanks / Like

Angry Starter motor

Morning all. Anyone know (done) how to change a starter motor on your back in the freezing cold.........thought not!

Post Thanks / Like
    I dismantled an XJR once and swore if i ever needed to replace a starter motor i would just sell it for scrap

You will need a selection of extensions and universal joints for your socket set to get the bolts out. I believe you then have to drop the steering rack to have enough room to physically get it out. Its going to be a PITA, but doable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by andmars View Post
    I dismantled an XJR once and swore if i ever needed to replace a starter motor i would just sell it for scrap

You will need a selection of extensions and universal joints for your socket set to get the bolts out. I believe you then have to drop the steering rack to have enough room to physically get it out. Its going to be a PITA, but doable.

I do believe I'm going to get someone else to do it!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Are you 100% the motor is bad? If the battery voltage is slightly low you will just get a click when trying to crank and no starter engagement.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used a large flat blade screwdriver to short the big two terminals when the wheel was off. Ensured car in park.

Did it several times and it was fine. So the relay was dodgy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by andmars View Post
    Are you 100% the motor is bad? If the battery voltage is slightly low you will just get a click when trying to crank and no starter engagement.
    I would like to think it's that but the battery is brand new and I fully slow charged before fitting. The starter does actually turn - just at 1/4 speed so nowhere near enough to fire an engine.
    Still looking for the starting handle socket!

Post Thanks / Like
    Personally i would want to test the starter directly off a battery to be 100% its the starter and not a dodgy solenoid, wiring, or electrical system upstream. As AndyK suggest either hot wire it with a large screwdriver, or unplug the wires and jumper it off a battery and see what it does.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry no starting handle socket I wish mine had one too. Just finished changing starter motor on my XJ8 for the second time you do not have to remove or loosen the steering rack check out Utube once loosened the top bolt with 13mm or 1/2in spanner or wrench if here in the US I found it easier to use 1/4 extensions and sockets with a ratchet wheel once both bolts are out you can fiddle the motor out and get new one in. On replacing I still had the same issue would just click on turning key. with a few WTF's I read andy's post on jumping the terminals and success, starter turned over went inside car and repeatedly started with key but it still seemed a little sluggish. I again stated several times today then it went back to just clicking got it started again and put a meter on the battery terminals and was getting less than 12 volts and dropping while running so I am now thinking the problem may be linked to the alternator as as soon as I turned the engine off the battery still read 12 volts so something is drawing voltage when running or the alternator is just not keeping up as it should give out 13 to 14 volts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks to you all your help and advice.

As the car is parked opposite my house and not on my driveway or garage, I have put the wheels in motion to have the car relayed to an indie close by and get him to sort it.

I have a good used/tested starter waiting in the wings, so hopefully normal service will be resumed. Will post the outcome in due course.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's back! FIXED and running as well as ever. Actually possibly better due to the new plugs that got fitted during the saga.

A mention to Karl Foster Garage Services in Ilkeston, Derbyshire who resolved everything quickly and at sensible cost.

11. Likes Jimbov8 liked this post