Jaguar Forum banner

Jim's XJ X351 ownership thread...

622K views 8K replies 124 participants last post by  Little George 
#1 · (Edited)
Well, here will be my home thread for the foreseeable future, having bought my beautiful dream car a few days ago.

For those that don't know, The last 4 years have been a whirlwind of ownership in my XJ X358, A car I loved and enjoyed having many happy memories. She was with me for just a shade over 4 years having bought her at 62k miles around my 50th birthday, gone but not forgotten as they say
http://www.jaguarforum.com/showthread.php?t=67352

I started to get to thinking that around 15k - 20k per year was a little too much moving forward as she reached 130k miles so it was time for a change, I started looking quite enviously and in greater detail at the X351, See my looking, just looking thread here... http://www.jaguarforum.com/showthread.php?t=103110

This was briefly followed by the I looked, I saw I bought thread here... http://www.jaguarforum.com/showthread.php?t=106603

This now leads me to start my actual ownership thread relating the experiences of my time with the X351 Portfolio LWB I am now lucky enough to own.
Someone, Henry B I think it was said they were looking forward to a thread such as my X358 ownership thread. I have to say that is unlikely as this car has so many features and options there will be little I can do to change / improve although I will try.

It's more of a thread concerning ownership, the positives and any issues as they pop up, but may be more about cleaning it and adding pics initially

I had actually looked at and was almost ready to buy an Autobiography when my BFAM Ashanti made me aware at the eleventh hour of this beauty I now own, she's a Portfolio LWB version in 3.0d guise and has been spec'd with around 12k worth of options.
Black exterior again but with London Tan interior this time, a 65 plate so just 2 years old with only 16,795 miles on the clock, 20" Orona alloys in immaculate condition and lots of toys, someone really stepped up for this car, that became a bargain for me. She comes with just under 2 years Jaguar used approved warranty
Here she is......

There's so much to see and learn
The rear window and side window electric operated blinds are a really cool feature :grin:

The heated and cooled seats all round with 4 variable settings on them too were also a big hit!
Played around with the TV and rear media for a while, BBC / CNN checked them out, so much more available though. It has it's own wifi hotspot so connectivity to the internet is possible and checked that out also.

The cameras are amazing, 360 degree surround camera with birds eye view is crazy, blind spot monitor and lots more.
Looks like I'll have to contact Jaguar to set up the Incontrol account as it's already registered to the PO but I'll get that sorted asap.

Loving the soft blue hue that accentuates the door handles, clock and various window buttons etc in the evening, although not on the air vents as previously thought. These will look even better once I do the illuminated sill tread plates mod.
Looks like I'll be nerding out on this stuff for quite a while

In all honesty I can't see how there is much I can do to put my own stamp on this, but we'll see as time goes by
Initial thoughts are very simple and straightforward.....

1. Personal plate added as soon as the DVLA do their thing
2. Bootlid spoiler
3. Wheels off and hubs/ calipers painted, the Red will go nicely imo
4. Front n rear dashcams are a must
5. Illuminated sill tread plates

The journey begins.....:mrgreen:

Jim

See less See more
#2 ·
Wow! and a lot of jealous face pulling behind your back Jim.
That’s a beauty! I’m sure you’ll have loads of very happy miles with your new wheels. And I look forward to following this thread. At that age and that mileage, I can see you having this one for a few years. I’m not sure how you’d get bored of getting in and out (as I know the X350 isn’t tiresome) on your many travels.
Happy motoring indeed!

#3 ·
Well, you've got it at last.

My son just bought a RR Sport with that engine and it goes very well.

Lots of cold evenings sitting out there going through the options...........

Enjoy.

#4 ·
Lovely car, Jim.
I have had my XJL Portfolio for just over a year now..........successful MOT last week!
Love mine and have been happy with the bits and pieces the dealer has dealt with under the Used Approved Warranty.
Enjoy and keep warm up in Scotland.
Great rugby result on Saturday, by the way!

#5 ·
Thanks guys, appreciate the comments

Glenn - Having this one for a few years? It could be more than a few that's for sure. I had the A6 for 7 years and the X358 for 4 years, both only really moving on due to mileage creeping up. Does that mean I should keep it down on this car?
Yes and no....yes to keep her for longer, but no so I can enjoy her as much as possible, a difficult one lol.

Xjrecosse - You're bang on about the hours sitting learning about her, many many I'm sure. I don't care about the cold evenings as I'll be like toast inside, a lot can be checked and learnt online too

Seagull - Glad to see you're enjoying yours and great news on the M.O.T. I'm just about to contact the dealer to sort out my extended warranty for another year, there's around 11 months left of the original warranty, but I want 2. The deal I done meant that the seller discounted the car to the value of another years warranty so that's a winner.
Rugby result was awesome and maybe a little unexpected, we're always better as underdogs lol

Jim

#6 ·
As you mentioned in your other thread you haven’t got the illuminated air vents. Retrofitting can be done, but it’s a bit of work involved. You can tap into the treadplate loom if you haven’t got the connectors for it.

Maybe also go for black mesh and keep the chrome lip for some contrast as another mod?

#7 ·
As you mentioned in your other thread you haven't got the illuminated air vents. Retrofitting can be done, but it's a bit of work involved. You can tap into the treadplate loom if you haven't got the connectors for it.

Maybe also go for black mesh and keep the chrome lip for some contrast as another mod?
Thanks Ian, don't think 'll bother with the illuminated air vents, it's nice as is but the tread plates is a definite at some point

I considered the grille very briefly and that's a no from me, it'd just be too black on black looking I think and can be overdone

Jim

#8 ·
I dropped by Taggarts new dealership in Glasgow earlier today, very impressive setup too and loads of stock, loads of space for customers too which will make a nice change.

I checked their pricing for giggles on a few accessories

Mud flaps front £45.00 each
Mud flaps rear £45.00 each
Fixing kits £11.28
Pedal kit brake / accelerator £87.69
Gear paddle shifter set £321.48

All plus v.a.t
Expensive stuff, so will be looking elsewhere obviously lol

I really wanted to talk to them about the Incontrol setup. It seems before I can set up my account the prior owners details needs to be removed, therefore, I need to wait on my V5 and call in with ID and the car and they'll get that done for me.
He showed me the app on his phone and what it can do, pretty awesome.

Later in the afternoon I had a call from Alec Escolme, he's working in the area and did I want to meet up for a bite to eat / drink and a catch up?
Sounds good to me....

I drove out to meet him and have the craic, good to catch up and have a natter. It gave him a chance to view the car too and share his thoughts, I don't think Alec's a massive fan of the X351 but seemed to be quite taken with a few of the aspects of mine, we played with a few toys and gave her a wee run out.

A quick bite to eat and then home for more domestic duties, oh joy of joys!

Jim

Reactions: restorer
#10 ·
Domestic duties, don't you have a chap for that.:mrgreen:
Unfortunately Jim I AM the chap lol

House is a nightmare at the moment, just don't seem to have the time we used too to be able to dedicate ourselves to it.
Downstairs room complete, well on with the upstairs room but stuff everywhere including all the items ( and there's a lot ) from the boot of my X358

On top of that Derek just called and advised that a lot of the furniture and associated items for the main bathroom, en suite and downstairs w/c will be delivered tomorrow.....Excellent I thought.
Now wondering if we can rent next door for a month or so to store everything lol.

Mrs C not best pleased, but I keep telling her that it has to get worse before it can get better. These words of wisdom instantly put a smile on her face and puts her at ease, NOT!

Jim

#11 ·
I admit Jim, i never was the xj351's biggest fan. HOWEVER!!!

Looking at yours i finally see what a beauty they are.

The interior is pure perfection and the exterior is magnificent :-D

+My head would be spinning with all those techie bits :lol:

Enjoy her.

And i'm glad you've started a thread. :mrgreen:

Just need that SIG and Avatar now :lol:

#13 ·
I admit Jim, i never was the xj351's biggest fan. HOWEVER!!!
Looking at yours i finally see what a beauty they are.

The interior is pure perfection and the exterior is magnificent :-D
+My head would be spinning with all those techie bits :lol:
Enjoy her.

And i'm glad you've started a thread. :mrgreen:
Just need that SIG and Avatar now :lol:
Henry, thanks for that

I know you're not a massive fan of the newer models, so quite something that you like mine, maybe you'll be in one yourself in a few years who knows?
Never say never and all that.

I hear ya again on the sig and avatar, must get around to doing it. If I don't immediately as I'm pushed for time I assume you'll remind me? :mrgreen:
Thanks Henry

Jim

#12 ·
The aluminium paddles I got from Hatfield’s Jaguar on eBay for £155 brand new. So you can get a bargain if you look about. I remember someone telling me he weren’t interested in all that app stuff lol. I love starting the car via the app, having breakfast and being smug watching people scrape their car windscreen whilst yours is outside doing it all for you.

I bet you can tell the difference in power between the 2.7 and 3.0 too, loads more poke to play with there.

#15 ·
The aluminium paddles I got from Hatfield's Jaguar on eBay for £155 brand new. So you can get a bargain if you look about. I remember someone telling me he weren't interested in all that app stuff lol. I love starting the car via the app, having breakfast and being smug watching people scrape their car windscreen whilst yours is outside doing it all for you.

I bet you can tell the difference in power between the 2.7 and 3.0 too, loads more poke to play with there.
Thanks Ian, I do seem to remember you getting a bargain there, I will wait and watch as I need to start watching the pennies lol.

The app stuff, who said they weren't interested in that, wasn't me surely? Was it?
If so I must have lied, can't believe how cool it is, hope to get mine up n running soon.

The difference in poke between the 2.7d ( even remapped ) and the 3.0d is seriously like night and day
That being said........

Std performance as is means 0-60mph is 5.9 secs and limited to 155mph

A remap will take it to 345bhp which represents 15% gain and serious performance, only £249.00 a real bargain, maybe in a year or so that'll be another mod I'm guessing lol

Jim

#16 ·
The XJ X351 3.0d is already 300Ps or 296bhp as standard on the 8 speed models and 700Nm of torque, the max safe limit of the ZF8HP70 box. Just don’t do many launches with all that extra torque if getting a remap.

It is cool Jim the incontrol remote, there’s 3 apps you’ll need in total.

incontrol remote
route planner
incontrol apps

route planner is brilliant, plan a route and send it to your car’s sat nav and then when you park it can send it back to your phone so you can finish the route on foot.

incontrol apps gives you Spotify, shell app and a few others it’s a bit like Apple CarPlay with a jaguar skin on it.

#18 ·
Sig and avatar updated, I'll get a better picture added later

Jim

#20 ·
Yo Bro :mrgreen:

I'm here, I've arrived to read, post and keep yer on your toes in "the Darkside" :-D

Not knowing the lie of the land an all in this place, thought about keeping it low and quiet like.

Bollocks to that.

So, it's one thing to fob off our young Henry, with "I'm so busy I haven't had time to update my sig" rubbish

But it don't wash with yer BFAM, let's have it done by the morning ;-)

As for the car this thread is all about,

Would I have alerted you to it had I the money to have bought it for myself?

:-D

#22 ·
Lol too late me ole mate, the sig / avatar already changed!

I'll get a better pic later.

Met with Alec tonight, he's got a forum / club meet in May sometime I think in Cumbria, I said you and Jimbo might be interested and to give you a heads up?

If you were in a position to buy it you would surely still have let me know??

Jim

#23 ·
Of course I would brother, of course I would :mrgreen:

Already tried to get the 20th May off, declined.

However, it'll not matter if todays interview leads to a job change.

#24 ·
Thanks Jim for taking the time to meet. I can confirm the new car looks every bit as good in the photos. The interior is sublime as well as the gadgets, the X350 is not a patch in that regard.
Power delivery seemed very different to my SV8, smooth and quiet rather than the sledgehammer kick and S/C whine.

A lovely car, worth the wait

Enjoy my friend!
See you in May?

#26 ·
Thanks Alec, good to have a wee catch up with you too and for the positive comments on the car. I did think I saw a pleasantly surprised look on your face at a few aspects

She was filthy though, the joys of yet another black car lol

I'm hoping to come down in May for the meet Alec, please put me down as a provisional yes for now

Cheers

Jim

#25 ·
I look upon the Supercharger in our V8 cars Alec as an audible speed limiter,

If heard, it's a sure sign you're endangering your licence :-D

#27 ·
Jim, beautiful car.I have the MY2015 portfolio with most of the same extras.I would love the new headlights and The diamond quilted leather.However having just survived a Volvo s90 with car play I don’t envy the incontrol.
This is my second xj and I don’t think you will regret the move.I used to dread the Volvo every morning and it wasn’t fun to drive.Although I have the xj petrol 3 l I tried the diesel and it is similar in its power delivery.I suggest you squeeze the power on next time around a corner and feel the car tauten on the line? It’s quite remarkable
It will also take corners at quite remarkable speeds especially with a bit of throttle.I would be really interested in how you think it handles compared to the x358.

#28 ·
Jim, beautiful car.I have the MY2015 portfolio with most of the same extras.I would love the new headlights and The diamond quilted leather.However having just survived a Volvo s90 with car play I don't envy the incontrol.
This is my second xj and I don't think you will regret the move.I used to dread the Volvo every morning and it wasn't fun to drive.Although I have the xj petrol 3 l I tried the diesel and it is similar in its power delivery.I suggest you squeeze the power on next time around a corner and feel the car tauten on the line? It's quite remarkable
It will also take corners at quite remarkable speeds especially with a bit of throttle.I would be really interested in how you think it handles compared to the x358.
Thanks Jasz, appreciate the comments and suggestions....

Just checked and found out a little more....

Trim is - VENEER-EBONY MACASSAR
Exterior colour - ULTIMATE BLACK/SANTORINI BLACK
Interior - London Tan

2 things to check with Jaguar....
2 outstanding campaign(s) for this vehicle...

• H007 - SERVICE WARNING MESSAGE NOT DISPLAYED
    H007 - 'Service Required' Message Not Displaying

H043 - DEF QUALITY WARNING
    H043v2 - Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) Quality Warning message maybe Displayed On The Instrument Cluster (IC)

Minor features...
    79 minor feature(s) for this vehicle.
    • 20X9FR/20X10RR ORONA PAINTED
    • AIR CONDITIONING-FRONT/REAR
    • AUTO HIGH BEAM ASSIST
    • BADGE-JAGUAR
    • BLIND SPOT MONITORING SYSTEM
    • BRAKE CALIPERS-SILVER
    • BUMPER LWR VALANCE
    • CARPET-EBONY
    • CASTLE BROMWICH
    • CCR CENTRE CONSOLE
    • CCR ****PIT
    • CCR DOOR CASING - CORE
    • CCR FRONT BUMPERS
    • CCR FRONT DAMPER
    • CCR HEADLINING
    • CCR REAR BUMPERS
    • CCR REAR DAMPER
    • CCR SEATS
    • CRUISE CONTROL
    • DBLE LCKNG PWR LCK LATCH/CINCH
    • DR TRIM PNL-EXTENDED LEATHER
    • DR/PAS ELEC FRT ST ADJ/MEMORY
    • DRVR PWR FRE/AFT/HGHT/TILT/EXT
    • DUAL EXHAUST SYSTEM
    • ELECT REAR SIDE WINDOW BLINDS
    • ELECTRIC REAR WINDOW BLIND
    • EU6B + DPF EMISSION
    • EXT MIRROR FINISH-BODY COLOUR
    • EXT TRIM SURROUNDS-CHROME
    • F*245/40R20 R*275/35R20 SUMMER
    • FOOT PEDAL - STANDARD
    • FRT COIL/RR AIR SUSPENSION
    • FRT/RR TGHND W/PRIV GLASS
    • GREAT BRITAIN
    • GRILLE-BLK MESH/CHROME SRD
    • HEADLINING - SUEDECLOTH
    • HEADPHONES-WIRELESS X 3
    • HEATED FRONT WINDSCREEN
    • HEATED STEERING WHEELS
    • HEATED/COOLED FRONT/REAR SEAT
    • HTD/P-FOLD/MEM/A-DIM/APP.LIGHT
    • I/P VENTS
    • ICE NOISE REDUCTION-WHITEFIRE
    • INCONTROL APPS
    • IP CNTRST-EBNY/LONDON TAN
    • IP-LEATHER
    • IVORY HEADLINER
    • JET CONTRAST STITCHING
    • LUMBAR MASSAGE-ADJT BLSTR(DNU)
    • LUMBAR-4 WAY/MSSG/ADJ SEAT BOL
    • MARKETING LEVEL 1
    • MEDIA GATEWAY MODULE TYPE 2
    • PARK ASSIST WITH FLANK GUARD
    • PASS PWR FRE/AFT/HGHT/TILT/EXT
    • PASSENGER SEAT AWAY
    • R SPEC INTAGLIO
    • REAR SPOILER
    • SEATBELT- EBONY
    • SIDE DR TRDPLT-METAL
    • SIDE SILLS-STANDARD
    • SIDE VENTS - CHROME
    • SLOUCH REAR SEAT
    • SOS/ASSISTANCE CALL
    • SPARE WHL-REDUCED SECTN ALLOY
    • STARTER SYSTEM - STOP/START
    • STNG WHL - COLOR KEYED
    • SURROUND CAM SYS (DNU)
    • TCU MODULE - ROW
    • TV RECEIVER-DIGITAL
    • TYRE PRESSURE MONITORING SYSTM
    • VIN CODE 9
    • XENON HEADLAMPS-NAS
    • XJ SALES BADGE
    • LESS DUAL VIEW SCREENS
    • LESS ELECTR SPEED LIMITATION
    • LESS HEADREST BADGE
    • LESS KIT-TIRE REPAIR SERVICE
    • LESS SVP

Think I'm going to try and get the full build sheet spec for the car, just out of curiosity...
    Jim

#30 ·
112 minor features for my XE :-D

Ultimate black and santorini black are the same just a name change to bring it in line with Land Rover colours.

I’d have thought those two bulletins would have been picked up on the PDI?

#31 ·
112 minor features for my XE :-D

Ultimate black and santorini black are the same just a name change to bring it in line with Land Rover colours.

I'd have thought those two bulletins would have been picked up on the PDI?
Lol show off with 112 :-D

Still trying to work out if Ultimate or Santorini black sounds better lol

Probably right on the PDI should have picked that up Ian, I'll get it checked over and resolve these soonest

Jim

#32 ·
Ultimate!

Santorini sounds a bit sleazy, perfect for a black on black, pimped out RR Sport.

Then again ;-)

#33 ·
I’d go with Ultimate, myself, Santorini sounds like a stage magician. But what do I know, I have “Stratus Grey”!

#2,361 ·
I'd go with Ultimate, myself, Santorini sounds like a stage magician. But what do I know, I have "Stratus Grey"!
How prophetic was this!

#34 ·
Stratus grey has changed to Corris Grey, loads of colour name changes but still the same colour, mine is Loire blue but was Sapphire blue, it mentions both on one of the VIN stickers.

Even the alloy wheels are now a 4 digit number rather than a name.

#35 ·
Yeah I noticed that with the alloys Ian

Jim

#37 ·
So much for buying a new car, can't drive the ****** thing :evil:

Think I may trade her in for a Land Rover lol

Jim

Attachments

#41 ·
Hi Jim.

Is that the wife's x type tyre track's on the road. Lol.

Over here Toyota are offering to take patient's to hospital in 4x4 vehicles, but i suppose patient's will need to phone in to make sure the surgeon has managed to get into work. Lol.

#42 ·
You spoke too soon! It's been snowing for a while now.

#40 ·
Just been advised the FULL build spec for the car as below....

3.0 V6 Dsl Std Tt
Bumper Lower Valance
Auto Trans 8 Speed ZF 8HP70 RWD
Traffic Sign Recognition
Stolen Vehicle Tracking
Dual Radio Tuner
Pro Services and Wi-Fi Hotspot
Euro/Russia 3YR Connected Service Pack
Rear Wheel Drive
Vehicle Protection CAT 1
4 Door LWB
EU6 + DPF Emission
Air Cleaner - dry/single
Trim Level 5
12/Silver Badges
Side Vents - Chrome
No Boot Spoiler
Body Colour Door Mirrors
Door Trim Panel - Extended Leather
Standard Intaglio
I/P Vents (interior)
Side Sills-Standard
Black Glove Box Colour
Htd/P-Fold/Mem/A-Dim/App.Light Mirror
Illuminated Rear Vanity Mirrors
Rear Seat Remote Controls ROW
Convex mirror glass
Meridian Surround Audio System
DAB Radio
Whitefire
2 Individual Electric Rr Seats no memoryDynamic Mode
XJ Badge
LED Rear Reading Light
TCU ROW CCR
Centre Console CCR
****pit CCR Seats
CCR Front Bumpers
CCR Rear Bumpers
CCR Door Casing - Core
CCRHeadlining
CCR Front Damper
CCR Rear Damper
Deployable Bonnet
LBL Cert-Weight/Type Approval E Approval Label Tyre Recommended Plate-Non English SeatBelt Warning Device
Silver Brake Calipers

360 degree Park Distance Control
Surround Camera System
Perpendicular Parking System
Beltminder
Locking Wheel Nuts
Front Coil with Rear Air Suspension
Fuel Label - ROW
Alloy Space Saver Wheel
Tyre Pressure Monitoring System
20" Orona
245/40 Frt 275/35 Rr 20 Summer Tyres
Filler Neck Dsl - Active
Continental Tyres
Diesel Fuel
Urea Emission Tank
Fr & Rr Comfort Air Conditioning
A/C Refridgerant - R134A
Side Marker Lamps
InControl Protect
InControl Remote Premium for Warranty
Pass Air Bag Picture Badge
All Chrome Upper Envirmnt
Licence Payment
MFD Single View Screen
Door Lock Shields
Power Door Dead Locks
434 MHz/non UWB Door Lock Frequency
Label-A/C Charge
Adaptive LED Headlamps + Signature DRL
Auto High Beam
Heated Front Windscreen
ECS 31 VIN Code 9
Tank Dsl Std Filter
Keyless Entry and Start
Intrusion Sensing
Sensor Occupant (ROW) with PACOS
BBU with Tilt Sensor
Dual Note Electric Horn
Side Door Treadplate-Metal
SoftDoor Close Dbl Lck & KeylessEntry
IMC Cooling
Unique Headrests
Lumbar-4 Way Adj Bolster & Massage
Heated/cooled front and rear seats
Front Winged Headrests
4 Way Lumbar Adj Bolster &Massage(pas)
Leather Steering Wheel
Heated Steering Wheel
Chrome Grille
Load Floor Carpet
Badge - Jaguar Script
Standard Front Spring Bushings
Rear Toe Link
Foot Pedal - Standard
Rear Seat Entertainment 10.2"Screen
Digital Television Tuner
Navigation System
Nav - Reg 1 Europe
Hex Chrome
SOS/Assistance Call
Headlining - Suedecloth
Seatback Table
IP - Leather
Seat Belt Retractor (ROW)
PTC Heater
Cruise Control
Ground Clearance - Standard
Driver & Passenger Seat Memory
Electric 14 Way Driv Seat Adjust
Electric 14 Way Pass Seat Adjust
InControl Apps
Starter System - Stop/Start
Premium Carpet Mat Set - Front and rear
Reverse Traffic Detection & BSM& CVS
Electric Rear Side Window Blinds
Bluetooth Connectivity
Frt/Rr Toughened with Privacy Glass
Electric Rear Sunblind
Rear Adjusted Front Seat Away
Headlamp Operation RHD -left justify
Analogue Clock Jaguar
Rear Multimedia Controls
JaguarVoice
Speed Limiter - Default Speed
Engine Power Source - 300/700
Standard Engine Cooling
Engine Cooling Fan 850W
Engine Cover
Sports Exhaust
Steering Column Lock
Seat 3 - 14X14 Way Heated/Cooled Seat
Trim - Jet (ebony)
London Tan quilted
Portfolio Paint 1AG Black Trim items
London Tan, Perforated quilted s/grainleather trim
Ivory Headlining
Ebony Carpet
Jet contract stitching
Veneer ebony Macassar

Thanks Jaguar....
Jim

#51 ·
Just been advised the FULL build spec for the car as below....

Thanks Jaguar....
Jim
Who did you ask/ call/ email to get that, sir?