Page 95 of 96 FirstFirst ... 4585919293949596 LastLast

Thread: My XJ X351 ownership thread...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FastEddie View Post
    Sorry to hear your news Jim , hopefully this year will get better for you and her indoors going forward !

These things do all seem to come at once , it's easy to see the world against us too. In reality though , we're still in good shape compared to many others.
    I've had and still have a few health issues to contend with , parted company with Mrs.H , moved house now and hoping 2019 is an improvement !
    Thanks Eddie, it's all good, onwards n upwards n all that.

Sorry to hear of your issues too mate, but knowing you, always a smile and the craic still to be had. Sounds like a fresh start for a New Year Eddie, hope 2019 is good for you too going forward.
    Remember and give me a nudge if you're ever up this way and fancy catching up

All my best
    Jim
    https://postimg.cc/gallery/3i38gydiy/
    MY2016 ( 65 ) XJ X351 3.0d Portfolio LWB, Black, London Tan leather interior, 20" Orona alloys, picnic tables and rear multimedia
    MY2009 ( 58 ) X type 2.2d Sport Premium, Heated seats, Front & Rear park assist, Sat Nav, 18" Proteus alloys, tinted rear windows, Heko wind deflectors

Post Thanks / Like
    At the grand old age of 49 , getting to 50+ is top of the list which will involve some major lifestyle changes.

I've had all my warnings now , thankfully without a stroke or heart attack , a few vital organs are in bad shape though.

Just had a tumour removed from my skull / forehead as well , waiting on the results to come back now .......

I don't venture up your way often , If you are ever in my M1 / M6 / M40 corridor , give me a call and we'll meet up for sure.

BR, Eddie
    2009 X358 XJ LWB 2.7 Tdvi , Liquid Silver , 100k+ and going strong.
    Bumper reflectors drilled and fitted with 3W side marker lights.
    Fog lamps / DRL running with HID colour match of dipped beam.

3. Thanks JimC64 thanked for this post
    Likes JimC64 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    My condolences Jim, hope all goes smoothly on the day.
    Current Car:
    2017 XE R-Sport 25t 250Ps 18MY.

Previous Cars:
    2000 S-Type 3.0L SE Auto
    2004 X-Type 3.0L AWD SE Auto estate.
    2007 XK x150 4.2L Coupe

Resident Super Moderator.
    V6 X-Type Oil Sump Replacement Guide

5. Thanks JimC64 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry for not ringing for our weekly chat yesterday brother, now having caught up with this thread, doubly so.

Sincere condolences at this sad time, one I know you and Tress will be finding difficult, but as always, will pull through.

All my families elders have now passed on which means it's my generation next I find it strange that as I get older, I think less of it.

It's our given right to lead our lives as we choose and yes some of the things we choose to do are bad for our health and a long life.

Others choose to eat healthily, not smoke, drink in moderation, etc, etc and although their choice, still end up short of a long life.

50 was my 1st goal, my 2nd is but 12 months away and in those years, the memories I've made are priceless, some sad or stupid, but most happy and amazing.

Whatever lifestyle we lead, the memories we make we take to the end and I'm damned sure that Tress's dad will have made many.

The Scots do not do anything by halves and I count myself honoured to have made some of my memories, with them and amongst them.

Rich
    Silentum Sicarius

2006MY Super V8 LWB in Midnight Black with Ivory
    All options except Sunroof. Lambswool Overmats are MIA
    Longlife Exhaust - Waft 'N' Loud
    Nextbase Dashcam's Forward & Aft

My Showroom Thread

2008MY LR Discovery 3 HSE V6 2.7TD
    Buckingham Blue with Alpacca

You're a long time dead, Enjoy life whilst you have it!

7. Thanks JimC64 thanked for this post
    Likes C16RKC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Ian / Rich, much appreciated.

Words of wisdom as always Yoda, he'll have a good send off on Thursday in a Jag and flanked by Jags although he was not a Jaguar enthusiast, he could always appreciate their class.

We're getting the impression that it'll be very well attended (an old Navy guy having done a few years back in the day)……

There may be a few tears shed, but more than a few laughs, stories will be told and drinks consumed

Off out to get my new suit and spend the day with Mrs C, this will no doubt involve shopping of sorts, lunch and a run in the Jag, but which one? That's a phrase I never thought I'd hear myself say lol

Have a great weekend one and all

Jim
    Last edited by JimC64; 15-01-19 at 08:53.
    MY2016 ( 65 ) XJ X351 3.0d Portfolio LWB, Black, London Tan leather interior, 20" Orona alloys, picnic tables and rear multimedia
    MY2009 ( 58 ) X type 2.2d Sport Premium, Heated seats, Front & Rear park assist, Sat Nav, 18" Proteus alloys, tinted rear windows, Heko wind deflectors

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, both the XJ as the second car and the X Type ( both conveniently black ) served their purpose yesterday as part of the funeral procession and did their jobs admirably

As far as these things go, it was a "good day" and the weather played ball, the sun shone and it stayed dry, good turnout to send him off, all was well. Now comes the harder part for Mrs C is shutting up and selling off the family home / caravan and organising the distribution of the families assets etc, but the end will come.

Today for me, it was off to the Jaguar dealer with my list of issues, see below...…

1.Media tile on screen. Since the latest software update I’ve been experiencing problems with this. On starting the car, prior to the software update everything would load fine, all A ok. After the update everything loads albeit a little slower, the Media tile can take 20 – 30 secs and up to a minute to load with around 2 mins being the longest recorded time with nothing happening. It had taken so long at that point that I stopped the car and did an off / on cycle. This issue remains and is ongoing and WAS NOT there prior to the last software update.

2.New issue now experienced 3 times to date ( see attached pic ) Passenger side headlight washer cover remains in outward position after use. Obviously as the winter weather is here and roads are dirty the wipers are used more frequently, with the lights on means the headlight wash activates every 6th wash as intended. I have to add that it is not even cold today with temps at around 7 degrees, so positively balmy.

3. As per above on several occasions now and with temps in the same range as above, so 6 degrees or similar the door handles have remained protruding once pulled and have not retracted. This almost caused an accident as my wife had “closed” the passenger door or so she thought. As I headed off almost immediately turning right the door swung open to its fullest extent as it had not latched due to the exterior handle not retracting. This narrowly missed a pedestrian!

4. Lastly and as already previously mentioned a short while ago, the headlights set to Auto are flickering, they seem to flash on / off / on / off at great speed and would look like I was flashing someone. This means I cannot guarantee to have lights at night and possibly when really necessary, see the video link I managed to get of this happening in real time earlier today.

5. Replace smart key battery

They'll have the car for as long as necessary to address these issues and I have quite a nice XF in its place.
    I sprung for the Jaguar extended warranty whilst there, the full bhoona c/w Jaguar assist, happy early birthday prezzie to me from me lol.

Jim

10. Likes C16RKC, mac_doctor, Jimbov8, Ashanti liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good to hear the funeral went well Jim - I do not envy Mrs C doing that sorting of the assets, that's never an easy job.

You certainly have odd problems with that XJ, I think you do very well to keep your chin up and stay positive. Definitely a no brainer that Jaguar extended warranty will pay for itself... the problems do not appear to be subsiding. I wonder if the original owners of our X358's had these sort of problems?

I have to say the X358 has always seemed a remarkable care reliability wise, I wonder if these X351's will be once the warranty work has settled... or if they are a different and more problematic generation of Jag.

Anyway, best of luck with your trip to dealer Jim. Would be nice if they can sort your issues once and for all so you can just drive and enjoy!
    Regards
    Chris Clark
    2001 XJ Daimler Super V8 (Car for 'best')
    2004 BMW 730d (Daily workhorse)
    2007 Land Rover Range Rover Sport 2.7TDi (The Wife's baby hauler)

Previous cars: 1992 XJ40 Sovereign, 1994 XJ40 Sovereign, 2000 XJ Sovereign, 2000 Daimler V8, 2003 X350 Super V8, 1994 Renault Clio(!), 1999 Mercedes S430L, 2008 XJ X358 Sovereign Diesel, 2003 Mercedes S320CDi, 2007 XJ X358 Sovereign Diesel LWB

www.autosanity.com

12. Thanks JimC64 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Glad to hear the day went "well".

Re the car: chin up, Jim. I think that (as in a whole bunch else in our generation) computers are the issue. When one replaces electrics with electronics, it opens the door to a whole mess of issues, none of which are easily understood or rectified.
    Chris. T.
    2000 XK8 4.0 Coupe
    2010 XJ SWB 3.0D Portfolio. With TVs. Lots of TVs.

14. Thanks JimC64 thanked for this post
    Likes C16RKC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Chris, thanks for the comments, much appreciated....

Yeah, I suppose I'm having a few issues with the XJ, some seem to be known issues on the forum, but there are others where the dealer seems to know that there's a software fix for this or that, this tells me it's a known fix to them for at least a little while.

My thoughts are that some of the issues easy issues to fix and some not so much, BUT the fixes are all free of charge under warranty. Some might argue that it's a real PITA to be back n forth and if it gets too much, trust me you'll hear me. The way I look at it is, the issues are there and need fixed, they get fixed for free and I build a relationship with the service team / parts guy etc etc, all this stands you in good stead down the line, trust me.

I always put the good / bad into the thread, so it's as complete a picture as possible. I'd strongly urge people to remember though that I'm pernickety and if somethings supposed to work then that's the way I want it, I'll also add in all the little things that some people wouldn't bother with, so can look worse than it is.

The extended warranty - As you say, a real no brainer, it really won't take much for that to pay for itself half a dozen times over.

My take is that the X358 had similar issues to some degree from new that the original owner had dealt with. I think it's prudent to bear in mind the tech update on the X351, As it has so much tech in place to run all the gadgets etc, it's more likely to fail on that

Jim

16. Likes C16RKC, mac_doctor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_doctor View Post
    Glad to hear the day went "well".

Re the car: chin up, Jim. I think that (as in a whole bunch else in our generation) computers are the issue. When one replaces electrics with electronics, it opens the door to a whole mess of issues, none of which are easily understood or rectified.
    Hi Chris ( We have too many on this forum - we may need to revert to the nicknames as previously discussed lol )

Thanks for the comments, our posts over lapped

I believe that your comments re the computer / electronics etc are where a few issues lie in these cars, part of the price we pay for all the toys maybe. Anyway, it'll be all good.....

Cheers
    Jim

18. Likes C16RKC, mac_doctor, Ian D liked this post
Page 95 of 96 FirstFirst ... 4585919293949596 LastLast