Page 1 of 61 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: My (That is, not Jim's) XJ351 ownership thread ...

Post Thanks / Like

My (That is, not Jim's) XJ351 ownership thread ...

Having seen what JimC64 did, and finding it really difficult to find answers to my dumb questions by searching around the fora, I thought I would start a thread of my own to give me a place to ask those questions.

First: Having resided over in the X100 forum for the last five years or so, I was looking for a four seater, and the XF seemed appropriate: having hunted around various XFs for months I came a cross an XJ and couldn't resist.

So, I now find myself the proud owner of a 2010 SWB XJ 3.0D Portfolio (22,000 miles) with more questions than I can rightly organise. I guess the sensible people get answers then part with money, but I have already blown that approach!

I only have a picture from the seller at the moment, I'm afraid, but here is the car in question:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Side On.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	263.8 KB 
ID:	26351

Question 1: What is "Whitefire"? I didn't get any headphones with it so that we currently have to listen to what is on TV in the back (or the TV watcher(s) have to lipread whilst listening to my tunes): I have ordered some Jaguar Whitefire headphones from eBay, and note that Range Rover ones are more available and cheaper, so (1a) will they work? ... (1b) and are there any third party headphones that will work? (particularly for children).

Question 2: I have bought a satnav update, and from what I can gather it will take hours to install. I drive to work and back every day, and that takes 30-45 minutes each way, so the question is: Can I start the update, and get half an hours worth done each way for a week until it is done, or will that somehow break the update? Do I need to sit in the car on the drive with the engine running (watching TV, obviously) for four hours to get it done in one go?

Questions 3 & beyond to follow ...

Post Thanks / Like
    This is what it mentions for your model year on Jaguar navigation site on how to update.

12. How do I update the navigation map data with the USB stick?
    1. Slot the USB stick containing the navigation map data into the USB interface.
    2. Follow the instructions on the touch screen*.
    3. Enter the map activation code.
    4. During the update of the navigation map data, navigation, entertainment and telephone features are not operational until the update is completed.
    5. The USB stick must not be disconnected from the USB interface during the update process.
    6. If the ignition is switched off during the map update, the update will continue automatically next time the vehicle is started**.
    7. Once updating is complete, a message is displayed on the touch screen. Press "OK" to restart the navigation system, and then remove USB stick immediately from USB interface.
    8. Allow 3 minutes for navigation to restart.
    9. Exit, lock the vehicle and leave for at least 15 minutes before using the navigation system.
    * The on screen instructions refer to "disk" during the download process of a DVD based system. The USB procedure is identical.
    ** An on screen instruction may appear on the touch screen giving instructions the "map update has paused", please press the "cancel" button to continue the update.
    Current Car:
    2017 XE R-Sport 25t 250Ps 18MY.

Previous Cars:
    2000 S-Type 3.0L SE Auto
    2004 X-Type 3.0L AWD SE Auto estate.
    2007 XK x150 4.2L Coupe

Resident Super Moderator.
    V6 X-Type Oil Sump Replacement Guide

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Ian, I have the instructions (although thanks for posting them to ensure that I have the right ones!): I was after some real experience over whether that "automatically continue ..." bit will actually work if I spread the update over multiple operations. I can't believe everyone that does the update does it with four hours of engine-running-drive-sitting, but I stand to be corrected (and I'm not brave enough to try without some reassurance)

Post Thanks / Like
    That’s a hell of a long time to be without the infotainment too. Only one way to find out I guess.
    Current Car:
    2017 XE R-Sport 25t 250Ps 18MY.

Previous Cars:
    2000 S-Type 3.0L SE Auto
    2004 X-Type 3.0L AWD SE Auto estate.
    2007 XK x150 4.2L Coupe

Resident Super Moderator.
    V6 X-Type Oil Sump Replacement Guide

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian D View Post
    That’s a hell of a long time to be without the infotainment too. Only one way to find out I guess.
    Bah. I have an iPhone, and I am not yet used to having "infotainment" anyway!

PS: Does anyone else think that "please press the "cancel" button to continue the update?" is counterintuitive? I would have thought "press continue to continue, and/or cancel to cancel" would have been more sensible.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mac, loving the thread title, very thoughtful there lol

She's a lovely looking beastie and I hope you have many happy years together

A thread like this has so many benefits for all. It gives you a place to ask your questions, but more about adding any little changes / mods you've down, it can help to keep track of work done and or costs too. There's always the hope that it may help others with any questions that they have, but had the same issue first and now have the answer lol

As for all the other stuff?
    I have no idea right now, still slowly trying to get to grips with mine, but will watch your answers and make note

Hope you have many smiles per miles mate

Jim
    My_XJ_X351_ownership_thread

My_XJ_X358_ownership_thread

Wife's_X_type

MY2016 ( 65 ) XJ X351 3.0d Portfolio LWB, Black, London Tan leather interior, 20" Orona alloys, picnic tables and rear multimedia
    MY2009 ( 58 ) X type 2.2d Sport Premium, Heated seats, Front & Rear park assist, Sat Nav, 18" Proteus alloys, tinted rear windows, Heko wind deflectors

Post Thanks / Like
    Okay - I'm beginning to answer my own questions, so here's the first update:

Quote Originally Posted by mac_doctor View Post
    (1a) will they work? ...
    Yes. I can definitely confirm that the £20 Range Rover headphones work with the XJ system.

Quote Originally Posted by mac_doctor View Post
    Question 2: Can I start the update, and get half an hours worth done each way for a week until it is done, or will that somehow break the update?
    The jury is still out, but this is underway (and is a weird and unsettling experience). Day 1 (yesterday evening): Start the process. An error message results:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Satnav Error.jpg 
Views:	402 
Size:	58.1 KB 
ID:	26372

Press "Cancel", and the car tells me that the update is underway (0% complete). I drive around for 10 minutes, and get another, similar, message (no picture as my hands were full of steering wheel). Press "Cancel", and the car tells me that the update is underway (5% complete). Mmmm.

Drive around for another 10 minutes, same palaver, but now 10%. I'm beginning to spot a pattern, so give it another 10 minutes: now I'm at 15%. Enough excitement for one day.

Day 2 (this morning): On engine start, Satnav tells me that I am in uncharted territory, but whilst I am reversing out of the drive (feeling sorry for myself that the whole thing was a mistake), the message comes back, still at 15%. On arrival at the office 45 minutes later, I have had no further error messages, and I am up to 45%. More excitement to follow on the way home methinks.

In other news: the TV, Bluetooth, AM/FM Radio and Satnav don't appear to work whilst the update is in progress, but (to the surprise of my ears when I inadvertently hit a button) the DAB radio certainly does work. If the update is actually in progress, of course.

Post Thanks / Like
    In parallel to the (partial) successes, I have a couple of failures to moan about:

1) The rear screen heater doesn't seem to work. Or at least, if it does work, it is slower than any I have come across before, and doesn't have stripes like all my previous rear screen heaters: so a quick question: is the rear heater on the XJ more like a front heater, in that is has no real lines, or his it just broken?

2) One of the TV screens (the one in the passenger headrest) doesn't come on. Probably wiring, I am guessing. This feels like it might get expensive.

3) Whilst driving around to give the satnav update something to do yesterday I got a message about the blindspot monitoring not working, please check the bumper. Where is the sensor that I am trying to check? What does it look like? (The book is not a lot of help).
    Last edited by mac_doctor; 27-02-18 at 12:57.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Mac, clearly looks like you're the pioneer here, take solace in the fact that it will help others at some point.

So sorry I can't help any...

That said the XJ X351 Workshop manual is available here www.easymanuals.co.uk/product/jaguar-xj-x351-pdf

These are allegedly as per the Jag techs manuals at a cost of £9.99
    Haven't seen them anywhere for free yet though

Hope it helps
    Jim
    My_XJ_X351_ownership_thread

My_XJ_X358_ownership_thread

Wife's_X_type

MY2016 ( 65 ) XJ X351 3.0d Portfolio LWB, Black, London Tan leather interior, 20" Orona alloys, picnic tables and rear multimedia
    MY2009 ( 58 ) X type 2.2d Sport Premium, Heated seats, Front & Rear park assist, Sat Nav, 18" Proteus alloys, tinted rear windows, Heko wind deflectors

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the thoughts, Jim!

Unlike you I appear to have been rather careless in my purchase (blinded by the beauty, as it were), and I am just starting out on a potentially long (and expensive) journey of discovery.

Today's interesting news: I procured a new key, and it won't programme to the car. Slightly embarrassing, and my local Jag garage is left head scratching a little. The rear screen heater issue looks like it may be down to a crack in the rear windscreen.

... on the upside, we are up to 75% on the satnav update!

Page 1 of 61 123451151 ... LastLast