Page 7 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: My (That is, not Jim's) XJ351 ownership thread ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_doctor View Post

as there is at least one forum member (I think that TheBoy has still not succeeded, even with the working stick that I sent him) that couldn't get the USB stick to work.
    Correct - I still haven't managed it, but I have been delayed by bricking the screen as part of the process.

I'm currently away from home, so not been able to try again.
    2010 XJ Portfolio running on lorry fuel. I know, Jag Diesel is just wrong!

2. Thanks ArtyH thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh no! I don't want to start a fight. Is this like a "Mac vs PC" thing for Jag owners?

Yes. It worked splendidly - as you spotted, the story is earlier in the thread. I bought the USB stick from a bloke on eBay username navi-expert-uk (who - in hindsight - undoubtedly got it from the back of a lorry, but at the time I had convinced myself that the whole business looked legal enough to grant me plausible deniability!) for £90 (he wanted £95 or offer, I offered £90 which he accepted - I should have offered £85!).

The procedure is fraught (as you will see if you read the saga above) but effective - I'm not sure that it is foolproof though, as there is at least one forum member (I think that TheBoy has still not succeeded, even with the working stick that I sent him) that couldn't get the USB stick to work. In case you were wondering I can't just get the stick sent on to you, because you need a code that appears to be generated from your VIN, which you get by sending your VIN to the bloke that sells the software.

Whether it is worth it - I don't know. I know that some roads that weren't on the maps when I bought the car are now there, which makes driving on them a bit less surreal, but I am struggling with the lack of effective traffic information: as mostly I used my phone satnav to navigate around traffic, the car satnav appears to have very weak functionality in this area, which is not helped by having newer maps.
    Thanks for the update mac-doctor, with all that in mind I think benign neglect is in order here . Thanks also for passing on the info for the stick but from what has happened to The boy is unfortunate and not worth the risk. The stick you bought may have been a one off product " time bombed " so it cannot be used again to protect the integrity of the software, not sure but it certainly looks that way. They used to do that kind of thing with computer games when copying was rife and it destroyed the bios on the p.c. Not saying this is what has happened but it is a possibility especially as there is a code needed and that is what the program is looking for, cannot find it, protect the system, bricked is the result. Just mentioning so no other members get caught with this scenario.

I did follow your posts and replies but just wanted clarification on the above

Also on the subject of the T.V , when I bought the car second hand 18 months ago I was told there was a T.V in it but I have never been able to get it to work, it will play a dvd no problem. Is there an easy way for me to check if it is or is not installed? Just wondering as if it is installed but not working would it mean the control options are not available, or they would be available but not operational?

Have a great day guys, its sunny here now and I hope you all get an early taste of it today.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ArtyH View Post
    The stick you bought may have been a one off product " time bombed " so it cannot be used again to protect the integrity of the software, not sure but it certainly looks that way. They used to do that kind of thing with computer games when copying was rife and it destroyed the bios on the p.c. Not saying this is what has happened but it is a possibility especially as there is a code needed and that is what the program is looking for, cannot find it, protect the system, bricked is the result. Just mentioning so no other members get caught with this scenario.
    This is almost certainly not the case, as the software has to start up before it asks for the code, and in TheBoy's case it wasn't starting up. We look forward to learning how he bricked his display though, as he may prove me wrong.

...Also on the subject of the T.V , when I bought the car second hand 18 months ago I was told there was a T.V in it but I have never been able to get it to work, it will play a dvd no problem. Is there an easy way for me to check if it is or is not installed?
    Put your VIN into TOPIX?

Apologies if I am about to teach my grandmother to suck eggs, but I want to show off my new-found knowledge! On TOPIX (https://topix.jaguar.jlrext.com/topi...cle/lookupForm) register as an "independent operator". Then log in and put your VIN in - it will tell you the factory fit. This may also tell you about the service history, if it was serviced by a main dealer, and if that main dealer bothered to update TOPIX.

This, of course, won't tell you if someone uninstalled the TV, but I would hazard that was an unlikely scenario. A word of caution: "DualView" was apparently a standard fit on the Portfolio but that has nothing to do with the Digital/ Analogue TV (tuner), which was an option even on the Portfolio.
    Chris. T.
    2000 XK8 4.0 Coupe
    2010 XJ SWB 3.0D Portfolio. With TVs. Lots of TVs.

5. Thanks ArtyH thanked for this post
    Likes ArtyH liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the quick update Chris, I will give the Topix link a try and see what I have got, I think I did something similar through the Jaguar dealership locally but it was not very clear.
    Was only a theory for the stick, hope it did not confuse anyone, that was not the intention.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks also for passing on the info for the stick but from what has happened to The boy is unfortunate and not worth the risk. The stick you bought may have been a one off product " time bombed " so it cannot be used again to protect the integrity of the software, not sure but it certainly looks that way. They used to do that kind of thing with computer games when copying was rife and it destroyed the bios on the p.c. Not saying this is what has happened but it is a possibility especially as there is a code needed and that is what the program is looking for, cannot find it, protect the system, bricked is the result. Just mentioning so no other members get caught with this scenario.
    Nope, not time bombed.

As Mac_doctor says, it the system doesn't like it, it simply won't proceed to entering activation code. So the process should be reliable and safe.

Its when you start taking more extreme measures to get it to "like" the USB updates when bricking occurs
    2010 XJ Portfolio running on lorry fuel. I know, Jag Diesel is just wrong!

8. Thanks ArtyH thanked for this post
    Likes ArtyH liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBoy View Post
    ... more extreme measures to get it to "like" the USB updates when bricking occurs
    I'm intrigued: do tell!
    Chris. T.
    2000 XK8 4.0 Coupe

10. Likes ArtyH liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm intrigued: do tell!
    Yes indeed, me too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Strange how the mud doesn't really shine through in a photo like it does in real life! (Cross-posted to pictures thread)

Chris. T.
    2000 XK8 4.0 Coupe

Post Thanks / Like
    Another question. I have just found the button that turns the fog lights on and off. I didn't know that I had fog lights, but now that I do know, I find that I don't know how many. So - does this beast have front and rear fog lamps, or just rear? Where are they?

Edit: OK - mostly answered my own question by figuring out how to do a forum search (would you believe that "fog" returns nothing - presumably because it is too short?).

I have one bit of the question left: where are the rear fog lights? (as there aren't any front fog lights)
    Last edited by mac_doctor; 17-04-18 at 12:56.
    Chris. T.
    2000 XK8 4.0 Coupe

Post Thanks / Like
    Have a look under the headlights for the front fogs, otherwise it will just be the rears.
    Jim.
    2009 XK 5.0L PortfolioPast:-87'XJS 3.6L, 93'XJ40 3.2L gold, 95'XJ6 4.0L sport, 00'XJ8 3.2L sport, 2005 XK8 4.2L coupe in that order and enjoyed all of 'em.

I do not offer advice, I only say what I would do with the set of circumstances presented. Your choice always.

15. Thanks JimC64 thanked for this post
    Likes JimC64 liked this post
Page 7 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast