Page 70 of 71 FirstFirst ... 2060666768697071 LastLast

Thread: My (That is, not Jim's) XJ351 ownership thread ...

Post Thanks / Like
    I am pretty certain that is not an original battery. All Jaguar batteries that I have seen have a white label on the top with a Jaguar Logo clearly visible. Exide batteries are good and should display a date as suggested by #Steve. Unfortunately, there is more to a battery than just "volts". You may be able to get a satisfactory voltage reading but it does not necessarily mean the battery is good. I replaced the battery in my X Type back in 2013 as it was unreliable, (it was 8 years old by then) however, I kept it in the shed and used it successfully to jump start ride on lawnmowers that I often have to repair. This year, despite charging it up to 12.8 volts, it will not jump start even a small ride-on mower. You need a proper battery tester that will not only give you the voltage but will show the CCA (cold cranking amps) as well. This will give a far more rounded view of the real state of the battery.
    2017 XJ Autobiography - 67 Reg. + 2001 Mercedes SLK 3.2 (for a bit of fun)
    Previously - Jaguar XF Portfolio 3.0 litre Supercharged Petrol (63 Reg) in Italian Racing Red.
    2008 2.7 XF PL with all the extras. 2005 X Type Estate

2. Thanks mac_doctor thanked for this post
    Likes mac_doctor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for that. I know a man with a CTEK, and I am assured that they can diagnose and cure all woes, so I will lean heavily on that before going out and buying another one. I will, however, try to get to it in the daylight and check the date on the battery anyway, just to reassure myself. If nothing else it will update my opinion of the cowboy one way or the other.

No sign of a date on the battery (at least on the bits I can see without using a spanner),

... but there is a bit connected to the negative terminal that has an apparent date:

So the question is: Are the battery and negative cable/ module replaced at the same time (in which case this looks like it was done in/ after 2012), or something else.
    Last edited by mac_doctor; 08-11-19 at 14:43.

Post Thanks / Like
    That's not original battery.

Ctek will tell you SFA.

That "thing" on the negative terminal is the battery monitor module (BMM ECU), the date on that is irrelevant (its obviously the date of the ECU).
    2010 XJ Portfolio running on lorry fuel. I know, Jag Diesel is just wrong!

Post Thanks / Like
    No idea about the manufacturing date on your battery but if it is 2012, that means the original only lasted 2 years.
    2010 Jaguar XJ V8 Portfolio.

Post Thanks / Like
    “Someone on the internet” reckons that the code stamped on the top right of the battery may be the badger: 5GC0-something may mean July 2015. Or not. The various clues aren’t conclusive.

Quote Originally Posted by #steve View Post
    No idea about the manufacturing date on your battery but if it is 2012, that means the original only lasted 2 years.
    Good counting! In fact if it was indeed March 2012, that is only 16 months. I assume, though, that something there must have been changed in 2012, even if it wasn’t the battery (if that is a date code!). Rumour, gossip and hearsay indicates that my car may have had a troubled first year or two, and so things there may well have been renewed.

I'm just going to cogitate for a while, and try to avoid using the XJ on ridiculously short journeys. Thankfully I have an XK lying around which will do splendidly for that!

Post Thanks / Like
    The Jaguar fitted batteries have a 4 numbered code on the negative post. Example, 52/15 would be December of 2015.
    Jim.
    2012 XKR Black pack, Speed Pack, Aero pack, Rat pack. Past:-87'XJS 3.6L, 93'XJ40 3.2L gold, 95'XJ6 4.0L sport, 00'XJ8 3.2L sport, 2005 XK8 4.2L coupe, 2009 XK 5.0L Portfolio in that order and enjoyed all of 'em.

I do not offer advice, I only say what I would do with the set of circumstances presented. Your choice always.

8. Likes JimC64, Ian D liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Back in Gosport, I finally found time to photograph my new bits in side-on poses, as requested:

Post Thanks / Like
    Rough diameter of the top middle one please? ie, is it about 12mm, or 30mm?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBoy View Post
    Rough diameter of the top middle one please? ie, is it about 12mm, or 30mm?
    You youngsters and your foreign money. An inch and a quarter. Call it 32 mm. Part no. C2C3910

Post Thanks / Like
    Cheers Mac. That's not the one I'm looking for. I need the one that looks similar, but is smaller.

I've had a great idea - why don't you photo them individually, and make a post in the guides/stickies section with part number, invoice description and photo? Or at least speak to you new best friend to see if its a worthwhile idea.

Trim clips can be a sod to pinpoint down, esp when your dealer is inept as mine.

Page 70 of 71 FirstFirst ... 2060666768697071 LastLast