Page 82 of 84 FirstFirst ... 327278798081828384 LastLast

Thread: My (That is, not Jim's) XJ351 ownership thread ...

Post Thanks / Like
    OK. I was planning to write my "second birthday" post, when I realised that I can't find a "first birthday" post. Then I got distracted but now I am (hopefully briefly) deprived of my car, I may as well get my house in order.

First Year (10/02/18 - 09/02/19):

Purchase Price (£19,500) supplemented by £92.48 for three sets of headphones, £468 (!) for a rear screen heater, £506.34 (!!) for a new key (& fob), £220.75 (!!!) for a set of mats and tax and insurance bring the 'real' purchase price up to £21,637.04.

Had an MoT (£35 - sailed through) and service done (£371.08 ), then had my broken wheel adventure (£865.02 - thanks for your help, Jim), to bring my total non-fuel expenditure for the first year of ownership to £23,807.74. £2,061,70 on fuel (10,386 miles at 30.36 mpg)
    Chris. T.

The Autobiography has landed.

Previous: 2000 XK8 4.0 Coupe (Sold)
    2010 XJ SWB 3.0D Portfolio. With TVs. Lots of TVs. (Written Off. A week after I sold ^)

2. Likes Jimbov8, #steve, JimC64, Ashanti liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Year Two (10/02/19 - 09/02/20)

MoT still innocuous (£35), and service (£454.80) was supplemented by looking for a cause for my wheel wobble (£42 for a four-wheel alignment) and some wipers (£26.40 fitted): a couple of door motors (£236.30 passenger, £237.59 drivers) and a fuel water sensor (£116.09). Add in a few bits of trim (£56.09 - thanks Ian!) and tax and insurance brings year two to £2096.22 of non-fuel. £1,787.79 on fuel (9,244 miles at 29.88 ) Brings my overall mpg for two years to 30.13.

Total expenditure after two years: £29,753.45 for 20,772 miles: £1.43p per mile or £40.76 a day

Watch this space - the jury is still out on whether I will actually have a third year of ownership! Two weeks ago I had two Jags, and I'm now looking down the barrel of having none!
    Last edited by mac_doctor; 13-02-20 at 11:57.
    Chris. T.

2010 XJ SWB 3.0D Portfolio. With TVs. Lots of TVs. (Written Off. A week after I sold ^)

4. Likes #steve, JimC64, Ashanti liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    They could have let you off 2p when you are spending £865 on one wheel!

You should have bought a second hand set off eBay then you would have them in stock for future mishaps.
    2010 Jaguar XJL V8 Portfolio.

6. Thanks mac_doctor thanked for this post
    Likes JimC64, mac_doctor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by #steve View Post

You should have bought a second hand set off eBay then you would have them in stock for future mishaps.
    That was the profit in the job Steve, the meat on the bone lol

Jim
    My_XJ_X351_ownership_thread

My_XJ_X358_ownership_thread

Wife's_X_type

MY2016 ( 65 ) XJ X351 3.0d Portfolio LWB, Black, London Tan leather interior, 20" Orona alloys, picnic tables and rear multimedia
    MY2009 ( 58 ) X type 2.2d Sport Premium, Heated seats, Front & Rear park assist, Sat Nav, 18" Proteus alloys, tinted rear windows, Heko wind deflectors

8. Likes mac_doctor, #steve liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    To be honest at that point I just held my wallet open and they took what they liked. I must have had a spare 2p in the corner, or something.

Hush you - hindsight is a wonderful thing! At the time, as you may recall, I only had three wheels on my wagon, and I was in a bit of a hurry to replace the red one to stop the ribbing! I also have nowhere to store three spare wheels, and SWMBO would not take kindly to me offering to use them as coffee tables!
    Chris. T.

10. Likes #steve, WanderingTeacake, JimC64 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    For anyone interested, here is how I did it:

(For any foreigners listening, in England we drive on the left) I was pulling out from A, to get to lane B in order to go (clockwise round and) right at the roundabout (where C is). I was following another car doing the same, when a little old lady - apparently not noticing any cars around, stepped out from D in front of the car in front of me. He stopped before me. The left front of my car hit right rear of his: we pulled over at E. We exchanged details. (The little old lady wandered off, oblivious to the carnage) He canvassed the neighbourhood for a broom, and swept the bits of my car out of the road (while I called the AA), and then - as we agreed - he drove off. I waited for the recovery vehicle which arrived two hours later and took me a mile or two home.
    Chris. T.

Post Thanks / Like
    In the cold light of day, it looks quite innocuous, really (apart from the wheel arch lining, which isn't going to survive).

A bunch of electrical doohickeys appeared to have come adrift and/ or fallen out, so there is definitely some damage that isn't immediately obvious.

The left front wheel isn't pointing in the same direction as the right front wheel - I'm assured that this is because something (track rod end? The arrowed bit, anyway) is bent when it is supposed to be straight:

Last edited by mac_doctor; 13-02-20 at 22:45.
    Chris. T.

13. Likes WanderingTeacake liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm gutted for you, the damage looks worse than the original photos.

From looking at the last photo it appears that the steering rack is bent, I just hope the suspension is OK.

Good luck. Fingers crossed it's not a write off.
    2010 Jaguar XJL V8 Portfolio.

15. Thanks mac_doctor thanked for this post
    Likes mac_doctor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Seems wrong to be clicking "like" on that post, Chris. It was the sort of situation any of us could so easily find ourselves in, with exactly the same outcome, so don't kick yourself too much about it. Nobody got hurt.
    2011 X351 Supersport, black with black and more black --- Skoda Superb, at the chimes of midnight

Previous cars: 2008 Honda Accord CDTi EX Tourer, 2002 Saab 9-5 Aero HOT, 1997 Audi S8, 1999 Subaru Legacy GTB twin turbo, 1992 Subaru Legacy turbo, 1992 Subaru Legacy GL, 1960 Austin Mini, 1976 Jensen GT, 1993 VW Corrado VR6

17. Thanks mac_doctor thanked for this post
    Likes mac_doctor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The biggest issue now for me is the uncertainty. If they are going to repair it I can nip down to the garage and get my courtesy car (doubtless a Yugo or something, but at least I can give the wife back her Mondeo - she is terrified I will prang that too!); if they are going to write it off I will at least know where I stand.

If they mend it I am out of pocket £150: If they write it off I am likely to be much more out of pocket (depending on what they offer me - I am cr@p at haggling), but at least I can go and get a car. Mmm. I wonder where the cheapest Autobiography is?
    Chris. T.

19. Likes #steve liked this post
Page 82 of 84 FirstFirst ... 327278798081828384 LastLast