Page 84 of 84 FirstFirst ... 34748081828384

Thread: My (That is, not Jim's) XJ351 ownership thread ...

Post Thanks / Like
    ... but both my wife and I are fed up of me driving the Mondeo!

You people can’t imagine what it’s like to have to use a key to turn the car on, waggle a stick to change gear - turn the wipers and lights on by hand! And the heating has a mind of its own (and you have to change the heat and fan level with buttons).

... and to cap it all the loud button is on mute, so I ease on to the motorway and it is ten minutes before the car appreciates that I asked it to hurry up. In the interest of full disclosure, though, it is worth noting that it has a rear screen wiper, which is a great invention on the odd occasion when you want to look out of the back - which you have to do as it doesn’t have a camera.

(PS: I love this Mondeo. It was my daily driver for five years, and it has watched our kids grow up, but now I know how WT feels in his Yugo!)
    Last edited by mac_doctor; 15-02-20 at 07:53.
    Chris. T.

The Autobiography has landed.

Previous: 2000 XK8 4.0 Coupe (Sold)
    2010 XJ SWB 3.0D Portfolio. With TVs. Lots of TVs. (Written Off. A week after I sold ^)

2. Likes #steve, coling liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Horrendous news and very worrying images of the damage, it's what you can't see that'll be the deciding factor in the outcome.

With what I've read, it seems the Jack in you has come to the fore, applying the 7P's already, shows consideration of your options whether it's repaired or not.
    It also shows your affinity with the model, for all its quirks and foibles.

As for Gaydon in May, that's 11 weeks away, plenty of time for any repair or search and purchase of an Autobiography or Portfolio with toys like my BFAM's.

Failing that, I'm sure your Bestie would be willing to swing by and bring you

Oh and if you are looking for another, don't disregard looking for/at a very late X358, taking note of the last digit in its model identification

Cash saved over the purchase of an all singing and dancing 351 might just allow you room to buy another beloved Mondeo, I can highly recommend the ST220

Quote Originally Posted by WanderingTeacake View Post
    Shame I've just sold my Supersport. You could have found out what the XJ is like with a proper engine in it.

The sublimest kick to a downed man I've read in many a year.

Quote Originally Posted by mac_doctor View Post
    Estimate: £10,421.60. Looking dodgy. Chewing my fingernails down to the elbow waiting for Admiral's decision ...

As am I Chris, as I'm with Admiral. Not that I've pranged either of mine, but your experience with them will provide valuable info.
    Silentum Sicarius

2006MY Super V8 LWB
    Midnight Black with Ivory & Black Suedecloth Headlining
    All options except Sunroof
    Longlife Exhaust & a Caldoofy - Waft 'N' Loud
    F Pace 19" Bionic Alloys
    Bespoke Sheepskin Rugs

My Showroom Thread

Issues, Fixes & Mods Thread

2008MY Discovery 3 HSE V6 2.7TD
    Buckingham Blue with Alpacca

You're a long time dead, Enjoy life whilst you have it!

Should I feel the urge to exercise, I'll lie down and wait for the urge to pass.

4. Thanks mac_doctor, Jimbov8 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry mac_doctor, I've been offline for a few days due to work and then some toys to play with.

That's pretty bad news. Obviously the repairer are taking the mickey, if that was mine, I reckon I could have that back as it should be for sub £3k, admittedly by scouring the breakers for 2nd hand headlights and bonnet/wing. But these garages that just do insurance work have a licence to print money

I know its absolutely gutting, but the main thing is, its simply a lump of metal. Flesh and bones are undamaged, thankfully.
    2010 XJ Portfolio running on lorry fuel. I know, Jag Diesel is just wrong!

6. Likes #steve liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Obviously the repairer is taking the mickey, but more worryingly to me (not a car guy) I am slightly concerned that nothing on their list concerns the wheel, which was last seen pointing in the wrong direction. This means that I really don’t think that I want them ‘repairing’ it and leaving me with a poorly patched car and a world of worry.

So I’m on the hunt for another X351; it looks like I am in the market for 2014 Portfolio with About 20k miles jaguar approved. As long as it has TVs and the roof doesn’t squeak! I think that autobiographies are still a bit beyond my means.
    Chris. T.

2010 XJ SWB 3.0D Portfolio. With TVs. Lots of TVs. (Written Off. A week after I sold ^)

8. Thanks JimC64 thanked for this post
    Likes Jimbov8, JimC64, #steve liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Obviously the repairer is taking the mickey, but more worryingly to me (not a car guy) I am slightly concerned that nothing on their list concerns the wheel, which was last seen pointing in the wrong direction. This means that I really don’t think that I want them ‘repairing’ it and leaving me with a poorly patched car and a world of worry.

So I’m on the hunt for another X351; it looks like I am in the market for 2014 Portfolio with About 20k miles jaguar approved. As long as it has TVs and the roof doesn’t squeak! I think that autobiographies are still a bit beyond my means.
    In all fairness Chris, could be a good call

Unsure if you're likely to find a 2014 used approved mate, I'd guess used approved will likely with from a late 16 plate onwards with reasonable mileage

There's a few late 16 plate, 17 and 18 plates with anywhere from 14k to 20k miles on them at around £28 - £29k

Fingers crossed for you mate, whichever way you go

Jim
    My_XJ_X351_ownership_thread

My_XJ_X358_ownership_thread

Wife's_X_type

MY2016 ( 65 ) XJ X351 3.0d Portfolio LWB, Black, London Tan leather interior, 20" Orona alloys, picnic tables and rear multimedia
    MY2009 ( 58 ) X type 2.2d Sport Premium, Heated seats, Front & Rear park assist, Sat Nav, 18" Proteus alloys, tinted rear windows, Heko wind deflectors

10. Thanks mac_doctor thanked for this post
    Likes #steve liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good idea changing cars, somehow they are never the same when they have been repaired.
    2010 Jaguar XJL V8 Portfolio.

12. Thanks mac_doctor thanked for this post
    Likes JimC64, mac_doctor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    OK. It has been written off. Now I have to wait (3-5 days!) for them to decide what they are going to offer me.

I have been looking, and this one https://used.jaguar.co.uk/search#/details/3016515 looks right up my street (except for the lack of ACC).

If they were to offer me £10k more than I expect, then I may look to join the London Tan brigade with this one: https://used.jaguar.co.uk/search#/details/3018960

Oh well, here's hoping!
    Chris. T.

14. Likes WanderingTeacake liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    OK. It has been written off. Now I have to wait (3-5 days!) for them to decide what they are going to offer me.

Yeah after having a look I did think that target was just a tad unrealistic lol

I have been looking, and this one https://used.jaguar.co.uk/search#/details/3016515 looks right up my street (except for the lack of ACC).
    If they were to offer me £10k more than I expect, then I may look to join the London Tan brigade with this one: https://used.jaguar.co.uk/search#/details/3018960
    Oh well, here's hoping!
    Definitely go for the 67 plate in blue with London Tan interior Chris, you know you want too lol.

Seriously though, decisions, decisions....not sure that I envy you at all.
    At least in fairness the write off scenario has happened, and although you may have been attached to the car that front end underneath damage meant potentially god knows what problems once "fixed"

Wish you the best of luck in your search Chris
    Cheers
    Jim
    My_XJ_X351_ownership_thread

My_XJ_X358_ownership_thread

Wife's_X_type

MY2016 ( 65 ) XJ X351 3.0d Portfolio LWB, Black, London Tan leather interior, 20" Orona alloys, picnic tables and rear multimedia
    MY2009 ( 58 ) X type 2.2d Sport Premium, Heated seats, Front & Rear park assist, Sat Nav, 18" Proteus alloys, tinted rear windows, Heko wind deflectors

16. Thanks mac_doctor thanked for this post
    Likes #steve liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh well, here's hoping!
    Sorry to hear about the accident and write off Chris, you must be gutted. Hopefully you can trade up to one that meets your needs with bonus of newer vintage.
    XJ X351 5.0 V8 Portfolio, Black 2011 now on 20k
    https://www.jaguarforum.com/show-thread.php?t=111207
    Range Rover Vogue, 4.2 V8 Supercharged, Grey '08 now on 85k
    http://bit.ly/2kB60lW

Previously

XJ X358 2.7Tdvi Sovereign, Vapour Grey '08 70k
    http://www.jaguarforum.com/showthread.php?t=98612
    X Type Sport, 3.0 V6, Racing Green '03 plate 80k.
    http://www.jaguarforum.co.uk/f69/my-3-0-x-48345.html

18. Thanks mac_doctor thanked for this post
    Likes JimC64, mac_doctor, #steve liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry to see Mac! Oh well, new car shopping
    Super V8, X358 Facelift + Portfolio Vents + Wald Spoiler, Black Cherry with Ivory/Charcoal leather + Black SuedeCloth Headliner, Rear Entertainment, Picnic Trays and Split Rear Reclining Seats. 200 Cell Cats, 2.5 SS Custom X-Pipe Exhaust, JagDroid Headunit, Arden Sportlines with 295 rear tyres - 121,000 miles, 12.89 @ 107.2mph

BMW M6 Coupe V10, Saphire Black on Black Merino Leather, Alcantara Headliner- 28,000 miles

Ex. XJ X350 3.0 Silver/Dove

20. Thanks mac_doctor thanked for this post
    Likes Jimbov8 liked this post
Page 84 of 84 FirstFirst ... 34748081828384