Thread: Jaguar x350 passenger airbag light problems

Post Thanks / Like

Jaguar x350 passenger airbag light problems

Hi all, new to the site so not sure if am posting in the right place but am gonna give it a go anyway. Bought a 2004 Jaguar x350 3.0 and had it about six months and there seems to be something wrong with it everyday, I seem to cure one problem and then another appears. So the latest one is passenger airbag light (the one over the glove box), start the car up it goes out with the light on the drivers dials and stays off. But should someone sit in the passenger seat like her indoors the light appears when she gets off the seat out of the car, sometimes though after a few seconds it will go off on its own other times I have to turn the ignition off and back off again to get rid of the light and it stays off then till someone sits in it again. Not the first jag have had but soon becoming the most annoying. I presume its one of the sensors that's causing the problems but no luck. So any ideas or views would be appreciated. Like I said new to the site so still getting use to it so if it takes a while to get back to anyone its not intentional.

Post Thanks / Like
    G'Day Barney,

And welcome to the forum!

The X350 section is this way >>>>>>

http://www.jaguarforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32
    2000 Jaguar X308 4.0
    1973 Jensen Interceptor Mk III 7.2
    1969 Jensen Interceptor Mk I 6.3

3. Likes JimC64 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Post moved to correct section...
    Rory - Jaguar Forum Administrator - Help Support the Forum

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm sure someone else will have better advice, but 350s are know for earthing problems which could be causing issues with the sensor or control box for the airbag
    --
    2008 XF Portfolio 5.0 N/A - Blue

Previously:
    2003 XJ 350 SE 3.0 - Black - 2017-2018
    2006 X-type 3.0 Sport Prem - Jag Racing Green - 2013-2017
    2001 X-type 2.5 SE - Black - 2010-2013
    51 Peugeot 406 1.8 SE - Green - 2008-2010
    97 Peugeot 206 1.4 Style - Red - 2007-2008

Post Thanks / Like
    I thought this was normal and was related to the size and position of the passenger? I seem to remember something like if the sensor detects that the passenger would be hurt by the airbag, it disables it which results in the light coming on. The only light that shows an airbag fault as far as I'm aware is the one in the dash near the speedo, so as long as this isn't illuminated you should be fine.

I'm pretty sure all of my 3 X350s exhibited exactly this behaviour, can't say it annoyed me at all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sometimes,

If I've bought a significantly sized Jumbo Kebab on my way home Sunday night and place it on the passenger seat,

The airbag light comes on and let's me know it's there safe and sound.

If it doesn't come on, then they've either robbed me of some doner or it's a bit too big even for me

Might be worth reading the codes, pretty sure my reader accesses the restraint system module.

As another has mentioned, earth studs can be problematical. The 3 under the radiator cover and behind the headlights being the main culprits.

Easy fix if your up for a bit of spanner work.

Rich
    Silentum Sicarius

2006MY Super V8 LWB in Midnight Black with Ivory
    All options except Sunroof. Lambswool Overmats are MIA
    Longlife Exhaust - Rear Silencers Removed
    Nextbase Dashcam's Forward & Aft

My Showroom Thread

2008MY LR Discovery 3 HSE V6 2.7TD
    Buckingham Blue with Alpacca

You're a long time dead, Enjoy life whilst you have it!

Post Thanks / Like
    the airbag system uses visual sensors to confirm that there is someone in the passenger seat. There's three, covered by grilles.

Should the person in the seat move about, they can go out of the sight of the sensors, which is indicated by that lamp illuminating. There's nothing wrong, the system is just telling you that it isn't sure there's someone there. If there was an actual proble, you'd get the lamp illuminated in the instrument cluster.

I get that quite a lot as the Mrs is not quite 5ft tall and the smallest amount of movement results in this.

Post Thanks / Like
    A big thanks to all for the possible airbag fixes, but I may have the answer am just gonna ban the Mrs from my JAAAAG and use her car when we both go out, I just haven't told her yet, so if my posts dry up it's not gone well call for help.

10. Likes Ashanti liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Had the same thing going on and it was a passenger who moved around a bit, the airbag will deactivate it the passenger gets too close for it to be safe. Traveling solo it behaves itself unless I have something too heavy on the passenger seat.

Also had my fair share of problems in my seven months of ownership including an manifold sensor error caused by the air filter not being securely connected, a windscreen replacement that took nearly three months to get sorted and a coolant leak that required a new header tank, water pump and thermostat housing.
    But it is such a great drive and hopefully the initial teething problems are behind me and I can enjoy that car.
    2004 Jaguar X350 XJ8 4.2SE Pacific Blue

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybercontroller View Post
    Had the same thing going on and it was a passenger who moved around a bit, the airbag will deactivate it the passenger gets too close for it to be safe. Traveling solo it behaves itself unless I have something too heavy on the passenger seat.

Also had my fair share of problems in my seven months of ownership including an manifold sensor error caused by the air filter not being securely connected, a windscreen replacement that took nearly three months to get sorted and a coolant leak that required a new header tank, water pump and thermostat housing.
    But it is such a great drive and hopefully the initial teething problems are behind me and I can enjoy that car.
    remember, its the size of whatever is on the passenger seat, not the weight. X350 doesn't have any way of working out how much the passenger weighs.

......and that's not many problems. In the 20,000 miles I've done in mine. Pretty much every trip has ended with something else needing doing. The latest being the split fuel filler tube (entirely at random)