Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Front bumper alignment

Post Thanks / Like

Front bumper alignment

Hi, I am getting the front bumper repainted on my xk8 and when the local body shop visited we both noticed the gap between the bumper and front edge of bonnet appears bigger than it should. He could find no sign of damage to the front of the car and all fastenings looked original. Due to the curved bonnet that couldn't be moved, and the bolts and fir trees only go in their holes so I can't see how this can be closed up - unless I'm missing something........,. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi. Mine is the same on my XK100. Its always annoyed me and now I'm just about to do the same as you and get the paint sorted I'll have a go at closing that gap. I'll get back on here to let you know how I get on.
    Meanwhile, if there's anyone out there who has already had a go at this I'd like some pointers please! Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    With age, the nose code drops because of material creep. It can be improved by fitting spacers between the cross member and nosecone. Also there is some clearance in the holes that allow things to be moved around when the bolts are loose.
    2000 XK8 convertible, 2004 X-type Diesel.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for that sheddist. I was thinking much on the same lines of some distortion. Also have a feeling that it has curled down a bit. A bit of extra support underneath looks to be a good idea but I'll know more when I get it off and have a look at it.
    Steve

Post Thanks / Like

This bonnet/bumper gap has always looked too wide to me too.
    My STR has a gap that also looks too wide. I have just looked at some sales brochures of the S Type which show a very small gap. Time to get some washers!
    Please let us all know how you get on with reducing the gap.
    Currently enjoying:
    2009 XKR convertible. 25k miles.
    2006 S Type R. Slate Grey with Dove Grey Interior. Full Burr Walnut upgrade, Rear DVD screens. 63,000 miles.
    1999 XKR Convertible. Meteorite Silver with Ivory leather. 76k. LOUD pipes. Great!
    Previously enjoyed: 1970 XL6 4.2 1974; 1982 XJS HE V12 5.3 1987 - 1990; 2000 S Type 3.0 manual 2001-2015; 1998 XK8 Convertible Mar/Apr 2016. 2009 Red XK convertible Nov 2016 to March 2017: 2010 All black XKR May to Oct 2017.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, yes that's what mine looks like! Are you meaning remove the bolts and fir trees then put some washers in, so when you put the bolts in the bumper is pulled higher?

Post Thanks / Like
    When I removed the bumper on mine to fit a front parking aid system the car was just over three years old and I didn't get the impression that it had ever been removed before. But the fitting bolts along the top edge certainly had varying numbers of washers fitted as packing to bring the bonnet and bumper edges to the same height. They'd all been painted with original paint.

It's not beyond credibility that these washers may not have been replaced over the years in some of our cars if the bumper was ever removed.
    2005 XK8 4.2-S Coupe and 2005 Auto SE 2.5 X Type Saloon

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys I'm going to look at mine at weekend and will let you know how I get on, cheers

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, well I've had a play with some washers, removed the xmas tree fasteners and the bolts from the top of the bumper and inserted washers between the bumper and cross member and then put the bolts back in. It definitely moved it but sadly in the wrong direction - upwards. The result was the bumper lifted whereas mine needs to go back a bit. With the bolts out I can push on front of bumper and it closes gap up, but even though the central bolts have a bit of an oval hole there is not enough to take up the gap as the washer part of the bolt then is against the bumper. Any more thoughts guys? Even widening the holes would not work as the washer bolts are then stopped by the bumper itself. Urgh!

10. Thanks Stagnite thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    How about securing it in the middle, then pull the bottom forward to move the top back. Just an idea as I have not tried yet.
    Currently enjoying:
    2009 XKR convertible. 25k miles.
    2006 S Type R. Slate Grey with Dove Grey Interior. Full Burr Walnut upgrade, Rear DVD screens. 63,000 miles.
    1999 XKR Convertible. Meteorite Silver with Ivory leather. 76k. LOUD pipes. Great!
    Previously enjoyed: 1970 XL6 4.2 1974; 1982 XJS HE V12 5.3 1987 - 1990; 2000 S Type 3.0 manual 2001-2015; 1998 XK8 Convertible Mar/Apr 2016. 2009 Red XK convertible Nov 2016 to March 2017: 2010 All black XKR May to Oct 2017.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast