Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 91516171819

Thread: Full Gearbox service in progress! With the Launch 501

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe. The PCM needs to be sure about sensors, including speed. It then co-operates with the TCM to do smooth shifts etc.

We've seen many times than an engine issue can upset the gearbox and learned the first thing is to fix any engine issues whatever they may be before worrying about the gearbox. Many times there is then no need to do more i.e. the gearbox was and is fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 04str View Post
    Maybe. The PCM needs to be sure about sensors, including speed. It then co-operates with the TCM to do smooth shifts etc.

We've seen many times than an engine issue can upset the gearbox and learned the first thing is to fix any engine issues whatever they may be before worrying about the gearbox. Many times there is then no need to do more i.e. the gearbox was and is fine.
    This will answer your maybe http://www.jaguarforum.com/showthrea...=1#post1046891
    “If you see a gap and don't go for it, you are no longer a racing driver”

JAGUAR STR

Post Thanks / Like
    I was booked in for a tcm reset/drive cycle and software update with jaguar lancaster end of the month.

Going to cancel this now as I don't think its needed. Probably just wasting 140 quid. Maybe on the next Jag service I'll make sure ths software is updated.

Transmission is behaving very well now. The previous issues as most know were related to a faulty abs sensor and dirty reluctor ring and not the oil change! Was just a coincidence! Both happened at almost the same time.
    Not one kick, not one surge or lurch after 200 miles ish since the sensor change. I don't believe another reset is needed.
    Jaguar S-type Sport 3.0l 2004 facelift

Post Thanks / Like
    There is so much hate for the ''flush' out there on facebook etc. People fall over when they hear the word 'flush' and come to the conclusion that it will destroy your box and your clutch plates will stop working etc etc etc
    The internals of a box will not know whether the new oil is coming in from the sump (partial change) or from the oil cooler pipes.
    Same result isn't it?

You could argue that if a flush chemical is used it may have detrimental effects washing off debris but if not then it can only be benefical. (the insides of my box looked shiny after the old oil was drained). Can't imagine any accumulations of debris floating around although no sure how it looks inside the TC etc.

ATF does not have detergents like engine oil so debris is not going to get washed off suddenly through a passive oil exchange.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

My only concern at the back of my mind is if any traces of the flush chemical is left behind in the box. Would it eventually break down? If I had it done again I would not have used it.
    Considering they used and entire 15 litres to flush mine plus and extra 3.5 due to it being short at the end , the initial small amount of flush chemical surely would have been washed through or be so minute.
    Jaguar S-type Sport 3.0l 2004 facelift

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 91516171819