Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819 LastLast

Thread: BMW 650i Convertible - My 2nd V8

Post Thanks / Like
    It’s always the little things that spoil the bigger picture Alec. I have faith you’ll get the lane departure working correctly, don’t give up.
    Jim.
    2012 XKR Black pack, Speed Pack, Aero pack, Rat pack. Past:-87'XJS 3.6L, 93'XJ40 3.2L gold, 95'XJ6 4.0L sport, 00'XJ8 3.2L sport, 2005 XK8 4.2L coupe, 2009 XK 5.0L Portfolio in that order and enjoyed all of 'em.

I do not offer advice, I only say what I would do with the set of circumstances presented. Your choice always.

2. Likes Alec Escolme liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's a cool feature Alec! Hope you get it working!
    Regards
    Chris Clark
    2001 XJ Daimler Super V8 (Car for 'best')
    2009 Mercedes CL500 V8 (Daily workhorse)
    2004 BMW 730d (Being lined up for sale)
    2007 Land Rover Range Rover Sport 2.7TDi (The Wife's baby hauler)

Previous cars: '91 Peugeot 405 1.9GRi, '93 BMW 520i, '92 XJ 4.0 Sov, '94 XJ 4.0 Sov, '00 XJ 4.0 Sov, '00 Daimler V8, '03 XJ Super V8, '94 Renault Clio(!), '99 Merc S430L V8, '08 XJ Sov Diesel LWB, '03 Merc S320CDi, '07 XJ Sov Diesel LWB

www.autosanity.com

4. Likes Alec Escolme liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thats me back at home after covering 2,800 miles in the 6 series in 6 days. I think I managed to cram as much as possible into the trip.

I set off at 1am Monday and arrived at Folkestone 6:20am, all loaded up and ready to go

820km later on that day, I arrived in a strange place called La Bessaire-de-Lair, Auvergne to stop the night. Rustic was certainly the word!

Well a "hotel" I won't forget.

Set off though the rain to cross the Millau Viaduct, the world's highest road bridge apparently.

Very wet and not much view sadly

Then the 450km to Monaco, the rain was really picking up at this point. I turned off the motorway to get some cheap petrol, when the wipers got out of sync and tangled up and jammed . Luckily this was about a 1km away from the supermarket. The problem was slightly self inflicted, as I had the wipers off to replace the worn out arm bearings the week before. It turned out the nut had unwound itself and slipped off the knurled spline. I was able to re-align the wipers and purchase a socket set in the supermarket to REALLY tighten the nut.

I continued driving, Google maps sent me of the motorway for some reason and took me through a town... I was exiting a large roundabout, a little to much throttle and the car ended up sideways. Thankfully, I was able to countersteer it straight again... I arrived in Monaco just after 2pm. Had two very enjoyable days relaxing and sign seeing.

Some of the interesting cars:

Straight pipe F40, mental pops and bangs

Brabus S Class, one day!

Or a Brabus CL?

The only XJ I saw With a Aston Martin Cyget

The E-Type was still in the same spot as last year

Tesla Roadster

Monaco Palace

Latest Rolls Royce Phantom

Ferrari 488 Pista

Nice yachts

Gave the BMW a clean up, didn't look to bad imho

Long drive back, I stopped off in a small village called Selongey, then planned a little detour on the way...

Not as quick as the Jag, but more stable

I caught the return eutotunnel midnight, got a few hours sleep and saw my friend Scott at Santa Pod

Fastest 1/4 for a X350, mid 12s!

I took the BMW down the dragstrip, I had a few disapointing runs, the 60ft launches were terrible! Best and first run was 13.9. I recon a 13.6 is possible if launched properly.
    I was tired and ready to go home, 3 hours later arrived home.

28.8mpg for the whole trip is not bad really, considering the traffic on the way home, ect.
    I really enjoyed driving this car, to be honest it seemed to be just as comfortable (or more) than the Super V8, even though the suspension is slightly firmer. Driving through France with the roof down was wonderful.
    Super V8, X358 Facelift + Portfolio Vents + Wald Spoiler, Black Cherry with Ivory/Charcoal leather + Black SuedeCloth Headliner, Rear Entertainment, Picnic Trays and Split Rear Reclining Seats. 200 Cell Cats, 2.5 SS Custom X-Pipe Exhaust, JagDroid Headunit, Arden Sportlines with 295 rear
    BMW 650i LCI Facelift, Convertible, Black Saphire with Cream/Black interior
    Ex. XJ X350 3.0 Silver/Dove

6. Likes FastEddie, JimC64, C16RKC, Super350, Ashanti liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd love to do something like this someday..

Looks like fun..

The car looks great.

Oh and i'd have the Brabus CL
    Radiance Red Jaguar S type 3.0 - Fixed, I hope
    Monte Carlo Blue Range Rover 4.6 Vogue - Retired.

8. Thanks Alec Escolme thanked for this post
    Likes Alec Escolme liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great photos Alec and the car looks terrific. The street circuit of Monaco is on my list of drives to do somewhere in the future.
    Jim.
    2012 XKR Black pack, Speed Pack, Aero pack, Rat pack. Past:-87'XJS 3.6L, 93'XJ40 3.2L gold, 95'XJ6 4.0L sport, 00'XJ8 3.2L sport, 2005 XK8 4.2L coupe, 2009 XK 5.0L Portfolio in that order and enjoyed all of 'em.

I do not offer advice, I only say what I would do with the set of circumstances presented. Your choice always.

10. Thanks Alec Escolme thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great trip and some nice pics Alec

Kudos to you, these road trips are awesome
    Jim
    My_XJ_X351_ownership_thread

My_XJ_X358_ownership_thread

MY2016 ( 65 ) XJ X351 3.0d Portfolio LWB, Black, London Tan leather interior, 20" Orona alloys, picnic tables and rear multimedia
    MY2009 ( 58 ) X type 2.2d Sport Premium, Heated seats, Front & Rear park assist, Sat Nav, 18" Proteus alloys, tinted rear windows, Heko wind deflectors

12. Thanks Alec Escolme thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I do look forward to your thread updates Alec - every now and then you throw in a gem like this and it is such a pleasure to read, and look at the photos.

Cannot believe it is a whole year since you did Monaco in the Jag... I must do that someday!!!!!
    Regards
    Chris Clark
    2001 XJ Daimler Super V8 (Car for 'best')
    2009 Mercedes CL500 V8 (Daily workhorse)
    2004 BMW 730d (Being lined up for sale)
    2007 Land Rover Range Rover Sport 2.7TDi (The Wife's baby hauler)

Previous cars: '91 Peugeot 405 1.9GRi, '93 BMW 520i, '92 XJ 4.0 Sov, '94 XJ 4.0 Sov, '00 XJ 4.0 Sov, '00 Daimler V8, '03 XJ Super V8, '94 Renault Clio(!), '99 Merc S430L V8, '08 XJ Sov Diesel LWB, '03 Merc S320CDi, '07 XJ Sov Diesel LWB

www.autosanity.com

14. Thanks Alec Escolme thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well , I am in the UK's equivalent of Monaco right now - Brighton !

Have spotted a couple of beauts in car parks that I thought it would add well to Alecs collection.

2009 X358 LWB 2.7 Tdvi , Liquid Silver , 125k+ and going strong ......

16. Thanks Alec Escolme thanked for this post
    Likes Super350, Alec Escolme, C16RKC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    What a nice trip and great pictures you have Alec. Just got a new Mazda 3 and I'm going to set a trip to my hometown too.

18. Thanks Alec Escolme thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nothing exciting has really happened with this car since the roadtrip, just using it for going to the nearest town, ect.
    I had to take my Dad for a hospital apointment, dropped him of and was stuck in heavy traffic. Thinking about how reliable this car has been, you can see where this is going...

Then out of the blue, this message dramatically appeared on the dash!

Not actually my car, I was to stressed to take a picture

No where to go in traffic, I limped her just out of town, where I could stop. A quick google suggested a dodgy pressure sensor, since the engine was running silky smooth and oil level fine, I decided to carry on home. Once moving 30mph, the message went away.

Genuine sensor ordered up for £20. I took me ages to find where it was located on the engine, I finally found it completely hidden by the vacuum pump.
    After much fiddling around blind, I managed to get the old sensor out and the new one installed.

Sure enough, oil was leaking through the old sensor into the plug

Unfortunately, I managed to disturb the coolant bleed pipe, which had brittled with age, shattering into many bits

Car was undrivable for a week, till the new pipe arrived. I am at loathe to spend £60 on a new OEM hose assembly, only to have the same plastic pipe. So I fabricated my own replacement pipe using 8mm alloy tubing, some olives to swage the ends and x2 hose clamps. Cost around £8.

Looks factory enough for me?

I haven't had chance to properly test out my new sensor in heavy traffic, as the BMW is now SORNed on the driveway. At nearly £50 month tax, it seemed like a waste of money this time of year. Still have the Jag taxed though. Probably get it out on the road sometime early next year, once the weather improves.

Super V8, X358 Facelift + Portfolio Vents + Wald Spoiler, Black Cherry with Ivory/Charcoal leather + Black SuedeCloth Headliner, Rear Entertainment, Picnic Trays and Split Rear Reclining Seats. 200 Cell Cats, 2.5 SS Custom X-Pipe Exhaust, JagDroid Headunit, Arden Sportlines with 295 rear
    BMW 650i LCI Facelift, Convertible, Black Saphire with Cream/Black interior
    Ex. XJ X350 3.0 Silver/Dove

20. Likes C16RKC, davidcumbria, Ashanti liked this post
Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819 LastLast