Page 1 of 25 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: BMW 650i Convertible - My 2nd V8

Post Thanks / Like

BMW 650i Convertible - My 2nd V8

Had the itch to buy a new car for the last two years, I could not settle on a car. I was tempted to sell my beloved Jaguar Super V8 and buy a newer XKR 5.0 or AMG SL, but could not bear to part with it.

So 2nd car it is, I tried to take over a lease on a Alfa 4c Spider, unfortunatly, the lease company were absolutley appaling and was not to be
    Gutted was an understatement, so set out my search, critirea was manual gearbox, cheap tax and good on fuel - so some how I ended up buying a 650i which is none of those!

Had put a £250 deposit for a 2006 Red convertible from a dealer down in Brighton - however, this 2008 Lci turned up, I made a good offer and he accepted!
    So loosing the non-refunable deposit and the extortionate £540 tax still made it a cheaper buy for a more valueable car.

Collected it yesterday from Milton Keynes after taking the train from Lancaster. The seller kindly collected me from the train station and I drove it back to his house. The car drove very well, very smooth. I gave it a once over, the MOT had 13 months and only a advisory for rear brake pads. All good, just better check to see if is suffers from the valve stem issue, let it idle, then rev, a little blue smoke appeared... At this point I wished I had viewed other examples first. So decided to buy it anyway and keep an eye on it, if it gets bad I can always get them changed.

6 hours of M6 traffic later, I finally got home. The oil level has not dropped and not seen any more smoke yet. Took the family out in it last night with the soft top down, there were some tunnels and it sounded amazing! The ZF gearbox is a joy to use, the paddle shifter really make the drive more engaging for me and shift up and down quick enough. My X350 has the same gearbox, but is so lazy compared to BMWs implementation.

Spent most of today cleaning and assesing areas that need attention, very pleased with the paint condition, just some stone chips and minor scrapes to deal with. Gave it a clay, then Poorboys Black Hole (thanks Jim) and wax. My neighboor misread the number plate and thought it was 2018 model!

The interior looks great, but the drivers seat bolster needs attention, dont like beige carpets though! The BMW Dakota leather is not a patch on the nappa leather in the Jag.

The Lci gearshifter is pretty cool, cupholder is metal and well made, but looks a bit aftermarket.

iDrive is very complicated, yet to figure out half of it, but way more advanced than anything Jaguar had at the time! DAB too

To do list:
    -Find out why Logic 7 sound system sounds off, possibly amp failure
    -Belt (hopefully) squeel when cold
    -Refurb drivers seat
    -Refurb rubber coated steering wheel plastic
    -Machine polish
    -Touch up stone chips
    - Replace drivers side indicator, as it has strange cracking all over the lens. £260, ouch!
    - Fit white LED bulbs to replace filament bulbs
    - LED Angel Eyes, recomendations please!
    - Oil change (only done in December)
    - Coolant flush, weird copper flakes in antifreeze - possible old k-seal?
    - Refurb front diamond cut wheels, double ouch!
    - Buy personalised number plate and fit
    - Fill number plate holes in front
    - Change grotty cream carpets and seatbelts for black, as per Alpina:

That wood though

Enough to be getting on with? I will be taking the BMW and Jag to the local Cumbria Car show next month...

So 2x V8s, 9 litres, 16 cylinders and around 820bhp for the price of a new Fiesta, these cars are motoring bargain imo.
    Last edited by Alec Escolme; 02-04-18 at 18:58.
    Super V8, X358 Facelift + Portfolio Vents + Wald Spoiler, Black Cherry with Ivory/Charcoal leather + Black SuedeCloth Headliner, Rear Entertainment, Picnic Trays and Split Rear Reclining Seats. 200 Cell Cats, 2.5 SS Custom X-Pipe Exhaust, JagDroid Headunit, Arden Sportlines with 295 rear tyres - 116,000 miles, 12.89 @ 107.2mph

BMW M6 Coupe V10, Saphire Black on Black Merino Leather, Alcantara Headliner- 26,000 miles

Ex. XJ X350 3.0 Silver/Dove

2. Thanks JimC64, Administrator thanked for this post
    Likes JimC64, Chris.t, Jimbov8, payno, Ian D and 1 others liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice Alec and congrats buddy....

A slight deviation from what you were after though to be fair lol.

She looks great and the PB Blackhole will have brought out the shine nicely until you get to her properly.

Before I even read the blurb I knew you'd have to be looking for anther plate for her too, hopefully something similar to what you have?

N10 AWE is currently available from the DVLA and would be an excellent match for the Jag, in sequence and everything, yours ta the moment for only £250 ON THE CAR......Bargain!!!

The hubs & calipers will no doubt be getting attention at some point too....

Looking forward to seeing her at some point.....now get that plate quick

Cheers

Jim
    My_XJ_X351_ownership_thread

My_XJ_X358_ownership_thread

Wife's_X_type

MY2016 ( 65 ) XJ X351 3.0d Portfolio LWB, Black, London Tan leather interior, 20" Orona alloys, picnic tables and rear multimedia
    MY2009 ( 58 ) X type 2.2d Sport Premium, Heated seats, Front & Rear park assist, Sat Nav, 18" Proteus alloys, tinted rear windows, Heko wind deflectors

4. Thanks Alec Escolme thanked for this post
    Likes Alec Escolme liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Following the demise of my XK I have gone to a 630i convertible, this site is a good resouce, meeknet.co.uk/e64, if your angel eyes are the same as the ones on that site the ones recomended work really well, I put a pair in the other day and they make a huge difference.
    Current Jags

2009 XJ8 4.2 Executive Porcelain White
    2009 XF 3.0D PL in Cashmere

Previous Jags

2006 S-Type SE 2.7D in Prism Blue
    2008 XF 2.7d premium luxury in Pearl Grey
    2007 XK Convertible Midnight Black currently MIA presumed incinerated at Echo Arena New Years Eve 2017
    2004 XJ8 3.5 SE Zircon Blue
    2008 X Type Sovereign Auto 2.2D Glacier Blue
    2005 S Type SE 2.7D Auto Zircon Blue
    2003 X Type SE 3.O Topaz
    2001 XK8 4.0 Pacific Blue
    1978 XJ12L 5.3 V12 Tobacco Brown with Black Vinyl roof

6. Thanks Alec Escolme thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the kind words Jim and David!
    Jim, you read my mind lol, that is the exact one I want!

David, that website is amazing, cheers. How are you finding the 630, compared to the XK? Put some photos up if you want?
    Super V8, X358 Facelift + Portfolio Vents + Wald Spoiler, Black Cherry with Ivory/Charcoal leather + Black SuedeCloth Headliner, Rear Entertainment, Picnic Trays and Split Rear Reclining Seats. 200 Cell Cats, 2.5 SS Custom X-Pipe Exhaust, JagDroid Headunit, Arden Sportlines with 295 rear tyres - 116,000 miles, 12.89 @ 107.2mph

BMW M6 Coupe V10, Saphire Black on Black Merino Leather, Alcantara Headliner- 26,000 miles

Ex. XJ X350 3.0 Silver/Dove

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks great Alec, hope you really enjoy it.
    Jim.
    2012 XKR Black pack, Speed Pack, Aero pack, Rat pack. Past:-87'XJS 3.6L, 93'XJ40 3.2L gold, 95'XJ6 4.0L sport, 00'XJ8 3.2L sport, 2005 XK8 4.2L coupe, 2009 XK 5.0L Portfolio in that order and enjoyed all of 'em.

I do not offer advice, I only say what I would do with the set of circumstances presented. Your choice always.

9. Thanks Alec Escolme thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice looking Bimmer there Alec looks well kept

Quote Originally Posted by 1955davidr View Post
    Following the demise of my XK I have gone to a 630i convertible, this site is a good resouce, meeknet.co.uk/e64, if your angel eyes are the same as the ones on that site the ones recomended work really well, I put a pair in the other day and they make a huge difference.
    The meeknet site is very useful and Timm who's site it is is very knowledgeable on the 6 & 8 series and you cant go far wrong asking him for advice

for all BMW part numbers and diagrams I use WWW.realoem.com just type the last 7 digits of your vin into the search box marked "serial number" and it will list all the part numbers and diagrams for that model
    S TYPE R 2003
    BMW M3 EVOLUTION 1998
    You can not beat me in a argument
    I am too stupid to know when I am beaten

11. Thanks Alec Escolme thanked for this post
    Likes JimC64, Alec Escolme liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Typo alert, typo alert !!!!!

2 V6's ???

C'mon Alec

Stunning car, I like the beige carpet as well.

'appen another trip over Hartside sometime?

Rich
    Silentum Sicarius

2006MY Super V8 LWB
    Midnight Black with Ivory & Black Suedecloth Headlining
    All options except Sunroof
    Longlife Exhaust & a Caldoofy - Waft 'N' Loud
    F Pace 19" Bionic Alloys
    Bespoke Sheepskin Rugs

My Showroom Thread

Issues, Fixes & Mods Thread

2008MY Discovery 3 HSE V6 2.7TD
    Buckingham Blue with Alpacca

You're a long time dead, Enjoy life whilst you have it!

Should I feel the urge to exercise, I'll lie down and wait for the urge to pass.

13. Thanks Alec Escolme thanked for this post
    Likes Jimbov8, JimC64, Alec Escolme, Super350, Ian D liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Only had it for a week and photos will follow eventually. I could write pages on the difference between the XK and the 630i but the XK was awesome, the XF I used straight after the XK went was 50% as awesome as the XK, the 630i is 90% as awesome, if it had the V8 growl and the Jaguarness it would be equal. The S-type is 75% on my scale on the basis it looks like and feels like a real Jag.

Alec dont make the same mistake as I did with the LED angel eye upgrade, there are 4 angel eyes but only 2 bulbs run all 4, at those prices it isnt an expensive mistake but there are some out there that are a lot more expensive than £9.30 for two!
    Current Jags

2009 XJ8 4.2 Executive Porcelain White
    2009 XF 3.0D PL in Cashmere

Previous Jags

2006 S-Type SE 2.7D in Prism Blue
    2008 XF 2.7d premium luxury in Pearl Grey
    2007 XK Convertible Midnight Black currently MIA presumed incinerated at Echo Arena New Years Eve 2017
    2004 XJ8 3.5 SE Zircon Blue
    2008 X Type Sovereign Auto 2.2D Glacier Blue
    2005 S Type SE 2.7D Auto Zircon Blue
    2003 X Type SE 3.O Topaz
    2001 XK8 4.0 Pacific Blue
    1978 XJ12L 5.3 V12 Tobacco Brown with Black Vinyl roof

15. Thanks Alec Escolme thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Very nice Alec
    MY 2005 jaguar S type SE Radiance Red 3.0 "Tweaked"
    MY 2001 Range Rover P38 4.6 Vogue Monte Carlo Blue LPG
    MY 2000 Land Rover Discovery 2 TD5
    MY 1991 Range Rover Classic 3.9 EFIA Manual. Plymouth Blue
    MY 1994 Land Rover Discovery 1 V8i "scrap".

17. Thanks Alec Escolme thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations Alec!
    N10AWE alongside N9AWE would be just proper & correct.
    All the best
    Simon
    2003 Super V8 SWB

19. Thanks Alec Escolme thanked for this post
Page 1 of 25 1234511 ... LastLast