Thread: Buying an X-Type Diesel - High or Low Mileage and Realistic Budget????

Post Thanks / Like

Buying an X-Type Diesel - High or Low Mileage and Realistic Budget????

Hi, I'm a new member and looking forward to getting my first Jag in the very near future - actually over the next two weeks if at all possible. I am seeking an X-Type either 08 or 09 reg, diesel saloon, preferably an automatic 2.2 litre but a manual gearbox or a 2.0 litre might not be a deal breaker for the right car. The questions are.... what would you Jaguar experienced gentlemen and ladies recommend regarding mileage? And what would you consider to be a realistic budget?

What's the prevailing opinion? Go for low mileage (40-80K miles) or be confident that at 100+ miles the car still has another 100+ miles to give?

What are the major component 'end of life' milestones for the X-Type?

Secondly, budget. I have around £5,500 available that could be stretched by another £1K or so. What would be considered the best strategy - to buy cheaply (less than £3K) and then spend £2-3,000 on refurbishment and replacement of crucial components, or pay the premium for a car in concourse condition?.

I'm based in Leicester, so if anyone could recommend a dealer anywhere in a 100 mile radius who regularly handles good quality X-Types then I would be very grateful to hear about it.
    Last edited by OldNewbie; 06-04-18 at 13:58. Reason: Too verbose - as usual

Post Thanks / Like
    Usually the 4-cylinder diesels are not a problem, being Ford. Not the most smooth or quiet, but reasonably long-lived.

Biggest problem with all X-types is rusting of the sills at the rear. These lie behind what looks like the sills but are not, they're only plastic covers, so get ignored, and when spotted are usually so far gone that repair cost a mint with the car not being worth much, so off to the scrapman it goes. Best to get the youngest car you can, I reckon. £5500-6000 should get you a nice one. I wouldn't bother with a cheapo, as doing a load of work on it puts no value at all into the car. A 100k miles X-type is worth very little, frankly.
    Fleet manager (!!) of: -
    XE Portfolio 180 AWD 2017
    VW New Beetle 2009
    MG Midget 1500 1977
    MG TF 135 2010

3. Thanks OldNewbie thanked for this post
    Likes OldNewbie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have just last moth purchased a 08 2.2 manual se with 80,000 miles for 5500 if that helps. definately go for a face lift (08 onwards) model.

Post Thanks / Like
    As the previous writer I bought a 2009 2.2 Diesel Sovereign manual saloon in February after looking for 3 months.
    The biggest problem was to identify a true 'Sovereign', !!!!!
    I paid £5,200 for a 70k model in Tektite Gray Metallic with full piped leather interior, full service history and 12 month MOT, I then spent money on a full wheel alignment check, Krown inspection and a warrantied full body panel 'rustproofing', finishing with a EUC Remap.
    Really pleased with my X-Type, I spent time finding a clean rust free 'honest' version, I went for a manual as I have been told 'auto's' can have problems as the mileage increases.
    Best regards
    RichardA

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, I hope you don’t mind me jumping on you threadbut how did your search go?

I am also considering a 2.2 diesel ideally a sport premium.

Do you know if there a way of checking for rust inside the sills when viewing a car? I’m guessing a dealer is unlikely to want you taking trim panels off!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Flipper, not sure of your budget, yes you can buy X-Types for £1000 but stick out for the year, spec, mileage you have in mind, the high spec models like the Sport Premium or the full spec Sovereign tend not to of been thrashed and have had minimum owners who have serviced the car regularly.
    In buying my car i paid £130 (approx) for a AA 'Piece Of Mind Inspection', I was pleased with the level of detail in the report I received, plus I had asked for special attention to be given to 'underside' corrosion, the report came back fine. I then had the car treated by KROWN rustproofing treatment to preserve and stop any future rust. Any good dealer should allow an 'underside' inspection even if it is just yourself equipped with a trolley jack.
    All the best
    Regards
    RichardA

Post Thanks / Like
    The facelifts appear to have a better longevity regarding sill corrosion and electrical gremlins. We still run a X Type which is a 2005 2.5 petrol (AWD). The biggest draw back for me is that being designated a "Sport" almost doubles the insurance premium, and the Road Tax isn't cheap either (compared to my XJS). I still reckon the X Type family and you do still come across a good many when out and about.
    Nick
    1994 4.0L XJS (AJ16) British Racing Green
    2005 2.5 V6 AWD XType Silver
    2002 2.5 V6 AWD XType Green

Post Thanks / Like
    I covered 180,000 miles in my 2.0D 54 plate SE with only minor repairs, rear wishbones, rear anti roll bar bushes, disk and pads. Parts were cheap being a Mondeo in disguise. Sold the car because the dual mass flywheel was vibrating and garage told me best part of a £1,000 to replace. That was seven years ago. My advice would be take your time check the history and condition, if in doubt walk away too many shady people selling second hand cars.

Post Thanks / Like
    As it’s been nearly a decade since the x type ended it’s manufacturing run, not sure many ppl will read this. But here goes.
    X type=lot of car for little money.
    Very early x types can be bought for a few hundred pounds. Pre 04 had serious sill problems. Either poor painting/manufacturing practices or cheap metal etc.
    This problem seems to have been addressed on later cars after 04. But still bare in mind an 05 car will still be 14 years old. So there will probably be some rust around. I got a late as poss face lift model 2.2d with around 53,000 miles on the clock. There are low mileage examples out there and below 60,000 you will be looking between £5500,00 to £7000,00 for such examples. Estates seem to be strongly priced these days, I remember a time when the estates were quite cheap.
    Above 60,000 for every 10,000 miles they seem to loose a £1000. So a 70,000 miles car is about £5000 to £6000. I wanted below 60,000 to be able to change auto box oil without the risk of plates slipping if they were worn and removing the grit in the oil might make the box worst to drive. The Alison Warner auto box in the facelift models still run smooth and strong. And are capable of driving 250,000 miles plus if driven correctly. Like most things. Look after it, it looks after you. The 2.2d ford engine is also robust. Being around a while before grafted into the x type, most problems have been sorted out.
    The early diesels has pulley wheel problems, the rubber failed. Later type pully wheels which are fitted to face life model, are twice as think, and look like the have a second section for a second belt. It may have been taken from another model car but they are more reliable. So bare this in mind if you replace your pully. Twice as thick as original.
    When researching the X type prior to purchase, all I could find on the auto box was information on the earlier boxes made by jacto. Jap I think. Reports on these were not very good so I was apprehensive to purchase an automatic x type.
    I decided to purchase the automatic car I now have as it was low mileage and a pristine example. Upon working on the vehicle I discovered the Asian warner gearbox stamped up a Ford motor company. So a more reliable and robust box and very smooth.
    The only other things to bear in mind when looking at a secondhand jag like any car is to take it for test drive, test all the toys to make sure they work, check rims for damage and condition of tires et cetera. The alloys on my car were badly marked and the tires were all four different tires obviously part worms. So eight was around another £800 to have alloys refurbished and four new tires of all the same brand. Good year asymmetrical 3. A very good tire on an 18 inch rim albeit road noise is a little load on concrete motorways.
    Many people will say about certain points on the jag like rear bushes feeling rusty sills, knocking drive shafts etc. But all motor vehicles suffer from their own bad points. By the time you purchase the last model of a certain type of car all these issues should have hopefully been addressed by the manufacturer then. And lets not forget now that their youngest X type you can buy now will still be 10 years old. I did look at the XE and XF models but to be honest with you the interior on viz first generation models were quite bland and boring for me. I still like buttons to press and a gearlever in my hand.
    The X type does share some Ford parts like the engine gearbox and parts of the suspension and axles but the interior build quality paint work is far superior to what I have been on it The X type does share some Ford parts like the engine gearbox and parts of the suspension and axles but the interior build quality paintwork is far superior to what I have seen on a Ford.
    A chap I know spent £13,000 on a 15 plate ford focus titanium. This was two years ago. It has cloth seats very plastic it inside and manual window winders on with the doors??? A chap I know spent £13,000 on a 15 plate ford focus titanium. This was two years ago. It has cloth seats very plastic inside and manual window winders on with your doors??? That car might be worth 9000 or £10,000 now. The heated electric leather seats in the X type, climate control, and the fact you have a jag badge on the bonnet says it all.