Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Car buying: what would you do?

Post Thanks / Like
    Haha love it! Well hopefully the owner will be delivering it to me later this week when we exchange payments and ownership etc.

Will let you know how I get on with her and whether Ben Kingsley's protégé turns up as well

Post Thanks / Like
    I think Trading Standards could do more, but they have been made toothless by the Government and now seem to be part of Citizens Advice (which is run by volunteers) so I think the situation will get worse. There are certain definitions in sales about the goods being sold such as "fit for purpose" and "merchantable quality". Dodgy "warranties" abound too, not worth anything. An MoT gives no guarantees either because there are still dodgy ones about from MoT stations that fiddle and even forged certificates (but you can check DVLA on line as mentioned above). When you see an advert where the numberplate is covered in the pictures, think dodgy; what have they got to hide? In looking at a SH car I will walk away if there is no direct proof of a cambelt (assuming that type of engine) being done, even if the sellers says it was done. You can't really look at the cambelt itself. Unfortunately it is still a case of caveat emptor or buyer beware. Even main dealers try that one on. More cars come with cam chains these days, and you can usually find out which on t'interweb. The other thing around here (North Wales/Chester area) is the simple price of the SH cars, I do not know how they get away with it, prices are way too high, and some ridiculously so.
    Previous 1: Silver 2.5 Auto SE grey leather interior
    Previous 2: Topaz (Pale Gold) 3.0 Auto SE with cream leather
    Current: Gunmetal 2.5 Auto SE with black leather interior 17in wheels heated seats private plate (tasty!)
    Motorcycle: Aprilia RST 1000 V twin sports tourer

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by raptor_f22 View Post
    Haha love it! Well hopefully the owner will be delivering it to me later this week when we exchange payments and ownership etc.

Will let you know how I get on with her and whether Ben Kingsley's protégé turns up as well
    Did you get her yet Raptor?

Guess I'm looking forward to hearing your glee report over the weekend

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_S-V6_2004 View Post
    Did you get her yet Raptor?

Guess I'm looking forward to hearing your glee report over the weekend
    Hi! Busy weekend but thanks for reminding me to update

Yes I got her on Friday afternoon and I have to say she's certainly growing on me. I've always hated mini's with an intense passion and drove two of them as courtesy cars and they just annoyed the hell out of me. My thoughts so far:

Why did I look for one then?

• Hmm good question. Mostly because SWMBO likes them. Also, I guess for the price there are some nicely equipped ones around although rare to pick up an unabused one.

Why is it growing on me?

• I'm really not sure but having driven it all weekend, it's got a weird charm to it. The plastic trim is cheap beyond belief and squeaks and creaks more than a model's silicone mounds but...it still looks 2018 rather than 13 years old if that makes sense?
    • The steering is really heavy but lightens as the speed increases so the car always feels really planted and you get good feedback. At slow speed you're wrestling with the steering and giving it the old grunt when parking but at high speed it's like you're driving a car with wide 20" alloys. Somehow it works.
    • Visibility is good all round despite the convertible roof so it feels spacious and there aren't silly blindspots in it like there were in the Yaris.
    • The exhaust makes a rather nice noise. Even if you're not going quick or flooring it, there's a weird sense of urgency to the exhaust note - a bit of nothing happens for half an inch of pedal travel then this wonderful surge of exhaust noise. It actually beats the XFR in my opinion because you're not having to rev the tits off it to hear something!
    • Gearbox is a CVT - which is pretty...crap, but as its for SWMBO i'm actually quite happy it's not overly fast or aggressive. As her first car it will help her be more careful.

Generally speaking I'm quite happy with it. Touch wood there aren't any disasters lurking around the corner. There's some clunks and noises which over time i'll get round to doing something about and it needs servicing and detailing which I'm going to do myself.

My one concern is that it's not had a gearbox service which Mini state it requires at 'inspection 1' - something i'm sure got the person who wrote it into the service schedule promptly fired/shot at dawn. BMW hate servicing gearboxes and countless mini drivers on forums all complaining that theirs haven't been done by the stealers.

I found the paperwork (by accident) from the original owner showing she's still covered under the "Mini tlc xl" service package, meaning I should get a major service (including gearbox service) for half the price. Rang two stealers this morning, both said different things and both couldn't give a straight answer on the gearbox thing. I can't be bothered pursuing them and I don't trust them.
    Daily driver: 1.3L Monster - Toyota Yaris. 0-60mph in about a year. "Power!!!"
    Special occasions: 2010 X250 XFR 5.0 SC

Post Thanks / Like
    Great, glad you like it overall.

I'm surprised about heavy steering at low speed though.

All of our cars have power at tickover, no grunting.

Are the revs much lower than 500rpm at idle? Or belt slack perhaps?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123