Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1995 XJS 4.0 Liter Convertible

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know how to delete duplication.
    Last edited by equiprx; 07-07-18 at 17:15. Reason: Inadvertant duplication

Post Thanks / Like
    I have an unopened jar of Jaguar Hide Food.
    If you are interested contact me Off Line.
    A PM, steve@equiprx.net or 650.455.1110

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky_USA View Post
    Another question. I have a light beige (cream) interior, and my driver's seat is seeing the ravages of the Arizona summers. I'd like to treat it with a leather preserver.

Can I use Neatsfoot oil on the seat?

I guess I am worried it will change the color, or not come out evenly.

Recommendations? I'll try and get some pictures of my interior and seats in the next couple of days.

Thanks -

Rocky

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, Steve - I picked some up in the meantime. Appreciate the offer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow an XJS and a Jenson Inteceptor... plus what looks like a Lamborghini?

Nice collection!
    Regards
    Chris Clark
    2001 XJ Daimler Super V8 (Car for 'best')
    2004 BMW 730d (Daily workhorse)
    2007 Land Rover Range Rover Sport 2.7TDi (The Wife's baby hauler)

Previous cars: 1992 XJ40 Sovereign, 1994 XJ40 Sovereign, 2000 XJ Sovereign, 2000 Daimler V8, 2003 X350 Super V8, 1994 Renault Clio(!), 1999 Mercedes S430L, 2008 XJ X358 Sovereign Diesel, 2003 Mercedes S320CDi, 2007 XJ X358 Sovereign Diesel LWB

www.autosanity.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Also trying to delete this, but can't figure out how to!
    Last edited by Rocky_USA; 09-07-18 at 00:56.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, Chris -

The yellow car is a de Tomaso Pantera - Italian style, with Detroit Muscle. It has an Italian body, with a Ford 351 Cleveland V-8. It is a fun car, very fast, and stylish. The "working man's GT-40".

But on a more serious note - I am worried that my XJS is projecting the wrong image of my lifestyle (NTTIAWWT). Does anyone else have this condition? It is very pronounced on the right side of the car...

Attachment 27677
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Do_All_XJS_Do_This (3) (Large).JPG  

Post Thanks / Like
    Who invented these nutty cars?

I decided I would be a good owner, and change my differential fluid. So I drained the diff.... Then I spent about an hour trying to figure out how to get a square 1/2" drive into the differential fill plug! Nearly impossible from under the car, and the one time I thought I had it, I felt like the corners of the plug were rounding out - so I stopped before I damaged anything any more!

So I did some reading, and realized there is a round access plug behind the spare tire! Whoo-Hoo!

So I prized off this plug, and learned that it's offset from the fill plug by about 6"! Ha! No surprise, engineering submits drawing, accounting approves expenditure, production procures tooling and plug, and the line tech chooses easiest spot to drill (independent of where the hole SHOULD go!)

So I got out my trusty hole saw, and cut a 1" hole in the trunk for perfect access to the fill plug. With this new access hole, I was able to remove the plug, fill the diff (without spilling a drop), and replace the fill plug.

I then used the piece of metal I had cut out as a centering piece on my new seal-plate, and RTV'ed everything back up and tightly sealed the two access holes I had opened.

It's madness that you have to drill / cut holes in these cars to perform repairs (trunk latch), or perform routine maintenance. I hope I don't have to work on my fuel injection, or my motor mount! I'll have to saw a hole in the fender!

I wish I could post pictures, but I have used my quota.

But my car is running great and my wife is enjoying it! That's the important thing!

Rocky

Sorry - not sure why the pictures are rotated....

Here's the big hole, and my smaller access hole...

Here's the fill plug, and the access hole sealing plug / plate.

Last edited by Rocky_USA; 10-01-19 at 02:55. Reason: Added Pictures...

8. Likes C16RKC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just to keep everyone aligned - here is the story of the mysterious hole behind the license plate....

https://www.jaguarforum.com/showthread.php?t=110799

Post Thanks / Like
    I have heard of others who have cut a hole in the bulkhead to access the diff filler plug.

For those who prefer not to cut the body work, the plug can be removed from under the car (I have done it more than once). Its fiddly, but no special tools needed - I just used my regular socket set as far as I recall.

GM

Post Thanks / Like
    Crikey interesting discovery.

Incidently - if you want to post more pictures you can, you host them on other sites.

Try www.tinypic.com

You upload them there, then in the body of your posts you add the link to them, with [img] and [/img] either side.
    Regards
    Chris Clark
    2001 XJ Daimler Super V8 (Car for 'best')
    2004 BMW 730d (Daily workhorse)
    2007 Land Rover Range Rover Sport 2.7TDi (The Wife's baby hauler)

Previous cars: 1992 XJ40 Sovereign, 1994 XJ40 Sovereign, 2000 XJ Sovereign, 2000 Daimler V8, 2003 X350 Super V8, 1994 Renault Clio(!), 1999 Mercedes S430L, 2008 XJ X358 Sovereign Diesel, 2003 Mercedes S320CDi, 2007 XJ X358 Sovereign Diesel LWB

www.autosanity.com

12. Thanks Rocky_USA thanked for this post
    Likes Rocky_USA liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast