Thread: Exhaust gas reading high at MOT abroad....

Next door to Heathrow, I walk to T4 when I fly.
    Post Thanks / Like

Exhaust gas reading high at MOT abroad....

Hello all, my 2001 xk8 was just popped on a MOT station here in Spain just for a quick non-official check of the exhaust emission....the chap popped the sensor in the left hand side exhaust, and then made me rev it to 2500 rpm for a minute or so....three readings, two were fine but one was slightly over at 1.1 or 1100..?? Cannot remember exactly, anyway the guy said best replace the sensor in the exhaust...( think there are 2 ) Question is, iif I change the plugs and airfilter or anything else simple, will this bring that reading down....?? cheers
    1997 BR Green, 81,000 miles. Half leather interior and black dash, ( that I don't like and want to swap for a wooden one ).

Post Thanks / Like
    It will be the O2 sensor that he is saying needs replacing. A simple job (one bolt and one electrical connector each) and not really any more expensive than a set of spark plugs.
    You would be advised to make sure the car has been for a good run before doing the test to clear it all out and burn off any deposits. Also a tin of Oxicat from Bluechem a week before is advisable. It then just may pass without complaints.

Post Thanks / Like
    Or a Terraclean?
    2003 Zircon Blue XKR Convertible.
    It's in the detail.

To see index of "Franks Story" up to 8th March 2017 Please Click Here. Thanks!

Cannot see any photos? PHOTOBUCKET FIX please CLICK HERE FOR SOLUTION

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd certainly not just do one lambda sensor. all four is definitely the way forward