Thread: 2008 Jaguar XJ8 Super V8 - Close to purchasing

Post Thanks / Like

2008 Jaguar XJ8 Super V8 - Close to purchasing

I posted this in a wrong area so reposting here (sorry I'm new).

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum and not a current Jaguar owner (hope to be very soon).

My next door neighbor is looking to sell his green 2002 Jaguar XJ8 Super V8. His is a retired gentleman and is the original owner. The car has spent all of its life in the Southeast United States and it has 67k miles. This part of the world is not known for rusted out vehicles so I'm confident that it is not rusted out but will have it looked at before I purchase it. Several years go (the first time I saw the car) I told him to tell me if he ever decides to sell that gorgeous car. He has purchased another vehicle because it was increasingly hard for him to get in and out of the Jaguar. He knows that I love that car and would take good care it. He said I can have if for $2,000. I think that is a good deal because the car is in great shape and has been maintained well. It has new tires and new brakes, the paint looks good, interior is in decent shape. The owner claims that the car has been very reliable. He has maintenance records and the only repair he has done was replacing fuel pump(s) (he claims the car has two fuel pumps). I trust that he is being honest regarding the car's history. I don't plan on driving it much, maybe 400-500 miles a year. I would just keep it garaged and drive it on nice Sundays. Before I purchase it I want to ask you guys what to look for. Have they shown to be reliable? Any common issues?

I haven't been able to find a lot of info on the Supercharged version. I see that NA versions have issues with timing tensioner guide, plastic water pumps, and ZF transmission. Based on what I saw the Supercharged engine is different but I don't know if plastic timing tensioners guides and water pumps are used. The transmission also looks to be different from the NA cars. It has a MercedesBenztransmission.

Are there any other common issues?
    Unless you guys talk me out of buying this car I will likely go ahead and purchase it. I will then want to perform all the necessary preventative maintenance. Where could I find the maintenance recommendations? Do you guys recommend anything else?

Thank you

Post Thanks / Like
    Bargain , snap it up
    The Supercharged engine is the one to have. As yours is described as the Super V8 I suspect it is not an XJR but was marketed in the UK as A Daimler with upgraded trim including rear tables etc. It will have the Mercedes 5 speed box so much better than the less reliable ZF 5 speed but it will need an oil change with the special Mercedes oil. Your engine will be steel lined not Nicasil and will have the second generation plastic tensioners. If you intend to keep it is well worth changing at some point as they will crack and fail at some point. 67k miles is not a worry but the car is 16 years old so a change of chain , guides and tensioners will be beneficial. Yes they have two fuel pumps, the second one is only used to boost pressure when you get brave enough to open the ful throttle .
    For mechanical work just look for X308 XJR as you have this but with a posher interior.
    1998 XKR Convertible, 2004 S-type V8 SE

Post Thanks / Like
    I dont know much about this model but it sounds like a good one , enjoy
    3ltr Jaguar XFS portfolio Carnelian Red + 3 ltr xtype 4 x 4 estate British Racing Green
    http://i1161.photobucket.com/albums/...3/7J0C2546.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for your reply.

I went ahead and got it yesterday.
    Yes, it’s a super V8 with upgraded interior. Once I figure out how to post pictures here I will post some.
    Now that I have it I’m going to start with creating a list of preventative maintenance. Feel free to chime in and let me know what you guys think. The previous owner kept up with oil changes, no transmission flushes or any other fluid changes.

Quote Originally Posted by P700DEE View Post
    Bargain , snap it up
    The Supercharged engine is the one to have. As yours is described as the Super V8 I suspect it is not an XJR but was marketed in the UK as A Daimler with upgraded trim including rear tables etc. It will have the Mercedes 5 speed box so much better than the less reliable ZF 5 speed but it will need an oil change with the special Mercedes oil. Your engine will be steel lined not Nicasil and will have the second generation plastic tensioners. If you intend to keep it is well worth changing at some point as they will crack and fail at some point. 67k miles is not a worry but the car is 16 years old so a change of chain , guides and tensioners will be beneficial. Yes they have two fuel pumps, the second one is only used to boost pressure when you get brave enough to open the ful throttle .
    For mechanical work just look for X308 XJR as you have this but with a posher interior.

Post Thanks / Like
    Lovely car the Super V8

Engines are very similar to N/A, but different gearbox.

I think after Aug 2001 they had metal top chain tensioners too.

And yes they do have 2 intank fuel pumps
    XJR 2001 Pacific Blue
    Range Rover Sport 2005 Red 2.7 TD

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for your responses. I'm trying to confirm that the supercharged engine (2002 model US model) has upgraded timing tensioner guides. Information I found is contradicting.
    I would also like to get some preventative maintenance recommendation. At 67k miles should I:

1. Replace transmission fluid. I took the car to to a shop and talked to a mechanic who previously worked at the Jaguar dealership for 8 years and he said that draining the fluid tends to create more problems. If you recommend the flush any recommendation on the fluid type/brand?
    2. Rear differential fluid flush?
    3. Coolant fluid flush?

Thank you

Post Thanks / Like
    Removing one cam cover to inspect tension type isn't difficult. Spark plug coils need removing.

I recently changed my AT fluid with Mercedes 134. Almost 5 litres changed. I left it a week to drain down part way through.

Inspect the connector sleeve for leaks or replace anyway while fluid is out. Cheap and easy.

Post Thanks / Like
    XJR 2001 Pacific Blue
    Range Rover Sport 2005 Red 2.7 TD