Thread: Retrofit Keyless Enty - to R Sport

Post Thanks / Like

Retrofit Keyless Enty - to R Sport

My apologies if this has been dealt with before but does anyone know if its possible/feasible to retrofit keyless entry to my R Sport?

Post Thanks / Like
    It is possible, but you’re going to need the door handles, keyless control module and software reprogramming. Newer models from MY17 onwards use pathfinder which is obscenely expensive for the DIYer, around £1200 just for the hardware compared to the old SDD for previous models which can be had for a quarter that.

Jaguar doesn’t do retrofit either so they more than likely won’t do any reprogramming for you. Indy or DIY is only method.
    Current Car:
    2017 XE R-Sport 25t 250Ps 18MY.

Previous Cars:
    2000 S-Type 3.0L SE Auto
    2004 X-Type 3.0L AWD SE Auto estate.
    2007 XK x150 4.2L Coupe

Resident Super Moderator.
    V6 X-Type Oil Sump Replacement Guide

Post Thanks / Like
    This is exactly what I'm getting at re the pricing of Jaguar vehicles.
    Surely at the price charged for even the basic F-Pace, it should include Keyless Entry as a standard fitting. Even my lowly Mitsubishi ASX has this facility as a standard fitting. One would think that if a lowly vehicle such as mine has it as a standard fitting, then in this day and age, and at the price Jaguar/Land Rover are charging for the pleasure to own one of their products, this sort of item would be included in the spec of all the vehicles they currently produce.
    Regards
    Telfer.
    Mitsubishi ASX as of 31st Dec 2016. Volvo V40 which Replaced my 2005 Jaguar S-Type after nearly 10 years ownership on 25th May 2016, has now gone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by telferstr View Post
    Surely at the price charged for even the basic F-Pace, it should include Keyless Entry as a standard fitting. Even my lowly Mitsubishi ASX has this facility as a standard fitting. One would think that if a lowly vehicle such as mine has it as a standard fitting, then in this day and age, and at the price Jaguar/Land Rover are charging for the pleasure to own one of their products, this sort of item would be included in the spec of all the vehicles they currently produced.
    I'm afraid it is nothing to with whether they can afford it, it is down to what the market will stand. Go back 30 years and you will find that Jaguars were well equiped and a little cheaper than the direct competition if that equipment was factored in. The Germans had basic cars and and a good few options to choose from (and pay for). Jaguar followed suit during the early Ford days (I had a friend who was seconded to Jaguar from Ford in those days and was involved in making this change).

Today, people want all the tech and the prestige manufacturers can make extra profits by splitting them out and charging separately for them. It is more important for the run of the mill stuff to demonstrate obvious value-for-money than for the premium cars which sell more on status. So the ordinary brands have to fight with content count, while the premium brands fight with image.

Today, Jaguar see themselves in a niche above the run of the mill BMWs, Mercedes, Audis, etc., and are pricing at the higher end of these more common competitors, claiming that they are more exclusive and drive better. Maybe it makes little difference to the numbers they sell but it will make a difference to the bottom line if they continue to be successful. Standard equipment is not important in today's individualised premium products. Show someone a long, complicated options list and he or she will very often spend way more than they planned, especially if it is done with colourful pictures and simple check boxes
    S-Type 3.0 Manual MY2001 in Pacific Blue with Cashmere Leather Sport Seats, Sunroof, Melbourne Alloys, Premium Sound plus some other stuff ... 55k miles.
    XKR 5.0 Speed Pack MY2011 in Polaris White with Ivory/Charcoal Leather, Nevis Alloys and R-Performance Interior plus some other stuff ... 16k miles.
    Hyundai Tucson 1.6T AWD MY2016 in White Sand. Basic, comfortable and surprisingly fast and competent ... 10k miles.
    FIAT Coupe MY1997 in Steel Grey with Tan Leather ... 55k miles.

5. Likes Ian D liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Appreciate what you are saying Neil, but I think they have lost their way a little on the pricing front, with what I believe is a well over pricing strategy when it comes to most of the basic models.
    To not include some of todays required options as a standard fitting, could be a very risky misunderstanding of what people now expect to have in their cars, be they a basic or upmarket model.
    As you rightly point out though, Jaguar were always noted for producing very good value for money vehicles, which sadly cannot be said of todays range.
    Could be a double edged sword I suppose, in that with the original policy, the old company ran into financial problems, but todays company at the moment anyway, being a profitable enterprise.
    Regards
    Telfer.
    Mitsubishi ASX as of 31st Dec 2016. Volvo V40 which Replaced my 2005 Jaguar S-Type after nearly 10 years ownership on 25th May 2016, has now gone.

Post Thanks / Like
    I personally am not a fan of keyless entry, it just makes the vehicle more vulnerable to theft, the button press version is far more secure.

As for upgrade, it needs hardware and then the Car Config File updating in the BCM