Thread: Licence Plate Holes In Bumpers

Post Thanks / Like

Licence Plate Holes In Bumpers

Hi All,

I wonder why anyone would screw a number plate to any car let alone a Jaguar but someone did to mine, at the front and back so really not happy.

I want to remove the number plates and by a new plate and attach without screws.

My problem is how is the best way to fill these holes in a plastic bumper? Can anyone point me in the right direction please.

Any ideas will be appreciated.
    Last edited by Chippy211; 16-04-18 at 03:01.
    2009 XF 3.0 D S Premium Luxury in Vapour Grey Metallic with Cream Leather interior
    Ford Mondeo ST220 Blue
    Aprilia Tuono 1000R (Wheelie Machine)

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, why fill them? If you use double sided tape for the new ones then just put it over the holes. Personally I don't see a problem using screws much more secure. Phil
    2008 XF Luxury 2.7D, Azure Blue/Dove Grey, Jaguar Voice, Mirror Pack, Winter Pack, DAB Radio, Keyless Entry, Owned from new.

Post Thanks / Like
    Same here. Screws are fine and a lot more secure than double sided tape - though the tape is much better than it used to be.
    I believe mine are attached with both!
    2012 XF 3.0D S Premium Luxury

Post Thanks / Like
    If the new plate(s) are big enough to cover the holes just stick a piece of tape over each hole to keep water out.
    If the new plates aren't that big then yes I see your problem and I don't have an answer, maybe search t'internet.
    Like you plan to do I have attached the rear plate on the F-Type using just double sided tape with zero screws, it is solid as rock and looks 1000% better than having screws in it. The front plate is attached with two small black screws as there isn't much choice on the F-Type, the attachment point across the front grille "bar" is all she wrote and tape would not work.
    2014 F-Type S coupe, Lunar Grey, red seats and nearly all the options.
    The dearly departed - 2010 XFS and 2010 XFR.

Post Thanks / Like
    The new plates should be the same size as the old one as UK law is very strict in this regard. (you can have other shapes and sizes made made but they're illegal and will fail an MOT) So a new plate should easily cover any holes left from the old ones.
    The bumper material is plastic so I wouldn't even bother covering or filling the holes. It's not like they're going to rust and the other side is embedded in the bumper and sealed away from the elements.
    Just tape the new plate on, it will cover any existing holes and don't worry about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Jberks, you are misinformed sorry. There is no legal set size in the UK, as long as the number size and spacing is correct, a minimum 11mm margin is required. I have had shortened front plate for over 2 years, never been issue at MOT or had issue from Police as it is legal in every sense. Are you suggesting the larger ‘Rover 75’ style dealer fitted plates illegal?
    Super V8, X358 Facelift + Portfolio Vents + Wald Spoiler, Black Cherry with Ivory/Charcoal leather + Black SuedeCloth Headliner, Rear Entertainment, Picnic Trays and Split Rear Reclining Seats. 200 Cell Cats, 2.5 SS Custom X-Pipe Exhaust
    BMW 650i LCI Facelift, Convertible, Black Saphire with Cream/Black interior
    Ex. XJ X350 3.0 Silver/Dove

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Alec Escolme View Post
    Jberks, you are misinformed sorry. There is no legal set size in the UK, as long as the number size and spacing is correct, a minimum 11mm margin is required. I have had shortened front plate for over 2 years, never been issue at MOT or had issue from Police as it is legal in every sense. Are you suggesting the larger ‘Rover 75’ style dealer fitted plates illegal?
    Actually we're both partly correct.
    The regulations are very strict but only state minimums. The top, bottom and side margins must be a minimum of 11 millimetres. So, no the old Rover ones aren't illegal as they exceed the requirements (there are no maximums) but potentially, cut down ones may be if they're cut down too much. It all depends on how many characters the number contains as to how small the plate can be. Mine has 5 characters so could potentially be cut down legally (Tried it when I first bought the plate 30 years ago, but quickly returned to standard size as I didn't like how mine looked) .
    I haven't measured a standard one to see how much excess is there by default so there may be room to reduce it somewhat and still keep within the law.
    However, I have assumed the OP hasn't gone down the cut down route, in which case as they're all manufactured to the same size, the holes will be
    comfortably covered by the new plate.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry guys, didn’t want to start an argument

I’m hopefully getting a personalised number plate for the car and looking at where the holes in my plate are now I don’t like the black screw head over a little of the yellow on the number plate so will be looking at attaching with either supper sticky Velcro or double sided tape.

Wanted to fill the holes in for neatness more than anything else, I don’t like unnecessary damage to a car. I’m sure I will sort something out but thanks for all the replies.
    2009 XF 3.0 D S Premium Luxury in Vapour Grey Metallic with Cream Leather interior
    Ford Mondeo ST220 Blue
    Aprilia Tuono 1000R (Wheelie Machine)

Post Thanks / Like
    I us the double sided tape from Halfords it's thin but my god it will hold anything so once on it wont be going anywhere. I find the thicker tape, that I use at work, is rubbish and plates have been known to fall off as customers are driving away from the showroom. I understand why you don't want holes all over the bumper even if they can't be seen, screwing plates on looks so ugly IMO.
    When I die I want to go like my Granddad, peacefully in his sleep, not screaming like the people on the back seat.

XF V6 3L Diesel Portfolio