Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Instructions on Parking Brake Adjustment?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Rocky

Grubby mits has provided some excellent advice there. As he has mentioned it is the larger opening that you will need to adjust to the 12 o'clock position for access to the cog adjuster. Your brakes are the same as mine so don’t panic they are correctly installed. When you adjust the brake shoes as per my previous post all the free play in the cable you mention will be removed.

If you do decide to take the disc off to check the brake shoes (highly recommended) you will likely need to give the disc a fair bit of encouragement to come off. As you’ve discovered they appear like one solid unit. This is not the case but the disc over time does tend to corrode and semi-weld itself to the hub. When I removed mine I used a rubber mallet to help tap and dislodge any rust that was holding it in place. Then gradually wiggled it off. This required more force than I expected but with persistence will come off.

From your previous comments its clear you’re a have a go kinda guy and this is very DIYable! I would still recommend that you start by working on the rear brake/brake disc adjustments first before attempting any other adjustments with cables etc... So for now once you managed to attain replacement bushes, I'd just refit the handbrake handle and reconnect the cable as it was previously. I think it is unlikely that the two cables will be out of adjustment with each other (although no impossible) but more importantly the cables can be adjusted once the brakes have been proven to work (by fully doing up the cog adjusters).

Unfortunately it would appear that most of my photos have gone missing and I could only find a couple on my phone from when I previously did my brakes but attached is one of the photos with a couple of annotations that I hope will help you.

Keep us posted on progress and keep asking question myself and others will do our best to help you out.

Best of luck
    Rob

https://ibb.co/mSWZgx

2. Thanks Rocky_USA thanked for this post
    Likes Rocky_USA liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, guys.

Appreciate the support.

I got in there, but didn't make too much progress. I am planning to take the calipers off and tighten the inner brake shoes manually to close to the final position - and then do the fine tuning with the rotor and caliper on.

Anyway - these cars are a real learning experience, but enjoyable. Again - I appreciate your helpful recommendations.

Rocky
    Last edited by Rocky_USA; 01-05-18 at 05:28. Reason: Improve clarity

Post Thanks / Like

Fianlly - a Legitimate Use for my Lathe!

I tried to find plastic shoulder bushings (5/8" OD x 1/2" ID) at Ace hardware for my Parking Brake assembly. No such luck.

So I think I will machine down these bronze bushings with my lathe.

A fun little project...

Or I could look on Flea-bay....

Pictures of what I am starting with....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8255 (Large).JPG 
Views:	2 
Size:	88.1 KB 
ID:	26985
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_8254 (Large).JPG   IMG_8253 (Large).JPG  
    Last edited by Rocky_USA; 14-05-18 at 13:19.

5. Likes Grubby mits liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've got the shoes adjusted, and the bushings.

If anyone has an exploded view of the parking brake handle assembly - I could sure use it. I am having trouble figuring out how the spring on the parking brake handle is mounted.

I could also use advice on the wiring to the "grasshopper switch". Should have taken more pictures when I took it apart.

Thanks -

Rocky

Post Thanks / Like

8. Thanks Rocky_USA thanked for this post
    Likes Rocky_USA liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, GM -

Appreciate the help on this one!

Rocky

Post Thanks / Like
    I know everyone is interested in this aspect of the project - So here's a couple pictures.

The Handbrake bushings are a standard US Size - 1/2" ID, 5/8" OD.

So you can just get plastic shoulder bushings from evilBay, or....

Here's some pictures (not fully finished, as the length has to be cut down. I started from some stock bushings from Ace Hardware with the 1/2" ID.

RockyClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8255 (Large).JPG 
Views:	1 
Size:	88.1 KB 
ID:	27067Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8264 (Large).JPG 
Size:	146.3 KB 
ID:	27068Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8270 (Large).JPG 
Size:	209.8 KB 
ID:	27069Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8278 (Large).JPG 
Size:	105.8 KB 
ID:	27070

Post Thanks / Like
    Now following on to the parking brake adjusters...

I DID find the brake drum on the Drivers side wheel was installed incorrectly. Therefore, no adjustment of the parking brake adjuster was possible. That is shown here - not how the hole on brake drum at the 3:00 position is blocked off by the hub. It is not supposed to be like this.

I removed the calipers & brake drums, and found the shoes to be in excellent condition, and the adjusters free, and easy to move. Here are pictures for posterity...

I also had lots of "meat" on my brake pads and rotors.

Rocky

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Handbrake (0) (Large).JPG 
Size:	145.7 KB 
ID:	27071Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Handbrake (1) (Medium).JPG 
Size:	81.2 KB 
ID:	27072

Post Thanks / Like
    Quota exceeded?

I was trying to load a few more small pictures... But it says I exceeded my Quota - is the quota for ALL pictures on the forum?

It sure looks like it!

Thanks -

Rocky

Post Thanks / Like
    Excellent result Rocky - gives a feeling of satisfaction when it all comes together!

GM

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12