Thread: What to do with an non-driving x-type

Post Thanks / Like

What to do with an non-driving x-type

Looking for a but of advive...

I have an 04 X-type 2.5 petrol v6. It's done about 80k, and seens to have been looked after ok. A couple of bumps, but overall, I loved it.

It started going wrong, unfortunately, and I've SORNed it. Garage said it had 2 leaks in the rear brake pipes, lamda (?) Sensor problem, and needed 2 plugs and a coil.

I was going to get it fixed, as I loved driving it, but I now work away sometimes, and it its not the most economic, so i got a boring car.

My question is: what do i do with it? I can get 140-ish from the jag "recycling" thing, and I don't have the ability to break it up sell it bit by bit.

Any advice gratefully received, cheers.

Post Thanks / Like
    that doesnt sound like a great deal of work but sadly the petrol X types dont seem to go for much these days.

if you want a chuckle this is the failure sheet for this year from the one i got rid of at start of 2018, it was booked in, failed, they did the work then it was failed on different stuff.

Repair immediately (major defects):

• Offside Front Tyre not fitted in accordance with side wall instructions (5.2.3 (i))

Repair as soon as possible (minor defects):

• Nearside Front Suspension arm ball joint dust cover severely deteriorated (5.3.4 (b) (i))

Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):

• Nearside Side repeater slightly discoloured (4.4.3 (a))
    • Oil leak, but not excessive (8.4.1 (a) (i))
    • Front Brake disc worn, pitted or scored, but not seriously weakened both (1.1.14 (a) (ii))
    • Nearside Rear Suspension arm pin or bush worn but not resulting in excessive movement trailing arm (5.3.4 (a) (i))
    • Offside Rear Suspension arm pin or bush worn but not resulting in excessive movement trailing arm (5.3.4 (a) (i))
    • Nearside Front arch liner loose
    • Offside Rear Brake pad(s) wearing thin (1.1.13 (a) (ii))

Date tested 15 March 2019

Fail

Mileage 152,272 miles

Do not drive until repaired (dangerous defects):

• Rear Electrical wiring likely to drag on the ground headlight leveling wiring (4.11 (a) (iii))

Repair immediately (major defects):

• Nearside Rear Suspension component mounting prescribed area excessively corroded significantly reducing structural strength trailing arm mount (5.3.6 (a) (i))
    • Offside Rear Suspension component mounting prescribed area excessively corroded significantly reducing structural strength trailing arm mount (5.3.6 (a) (i))
    • Nearside Front Seat belt anchorage prescribed area strength or continuity significantly reduced sill (7.1.1 (a) (i))
    • Nearside Headlamp aim too high (4.1.2 (a))
    • Offside Front Brake pipe excessively corroded (1.1.11 (c))
    • Offside Front Tyre has a cut in excess of the requirements deep enough to reach the ply or cords (5.2.3 (d) (i))
    • Offside Rear Service brake excessively binding (1.2.1 (f))

Repair as soon as possible (minor defects):

• Nearside Front Suspension arm ball joint dust cover severely deteriorated (5.3.4 (b) (i))

Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):

• Nearside Side repeater slightly discoloured (4.4.3 (a))
    • Oil leak, but not excessive (8.4.1 (a) (i))
    • Front Tyre worn close to legal limit/worn on edge both wearing on inner edge (5.2.3 (e))
    • Front Brake disc worn, pitted or scored, but not seriously weakened (1.1.14 (a) (ii))
    • Rear Brake disc worn, pitted or scored, but not seriously weakened (1.1.14 (a) (ii))
    • Nearside Front arch liner loose
    • Rear Suspension component pin or bush slightly worn both trailing arm bushes (5.3.4 (a) (i))
    • Offside Rear Brake pad(s) wearing thin (1.1.13 (a) (ii))

the new owner decided that these were worth putting right (bearing in mind he bought it from me for £500) and his MOT last year had a similar amount of issues that he had to put right.

just goes to show that if you love the car then its worth chucking the cash at it.
    2006 X Type 2.2D Sport 108k

Alex!.....get off the cat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo2308 View Post
    Looking for a but of advive...

I have an 04 X-type 2.5 petrol v6. It's done about 80k, and seens to have been looked after ok. A couple of bumps, but overall, I loved it.

It started going wrong, unfortunately, and I've SORNed it. Garage said it had 2 leaks in the rear brake pipes, lamda (?) Sensor problem, and needed 2 plugs and a coil.

I was going to get it fixed, as I loved driving it, but I now work away sometimes, and it its not the most economic, so i got a boring car.

My question is: what do i do with it? I can get 140-ish from the jag "recycling" thing, and I don't have the ability to break it up sell it bit by bit.

Any advice gratefully received, cheers.
    Hi and welcome to the forum.
    Does not sound like too much to do on this.

Roger
    HEY I THOUGHT I HAD RETIRED, Ex Auto Electrician
    2006 X Type 2.2d SE Manual Estate. Zircon Blue Champagne/Mocca, F/R Parking sensors, ,Auto Lights, Auto Wipers, Headlight Washers, Sat Nav 2012 update, 17 in Wheels, 120K Mods:- Electric Autofold Mirrors on Locking
    Simple Autofold Mirrors on Locking,http://www.jaguarforum.com/showthrea...irrors+locking
    UPDATE YOUR SIGNATURE http://www.jaguarforum.com/showthread.php?t=91945