Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Engine oil

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry_B View Post
    2-300k isn't uncommon for modern petrol engines..

57jam89 had a 250k + S type 3.0!!
    It's good but 300k is not common either, is it Mr H?

Over 200k is very uncommon for a car petrol engine, especially small to medium engines.

Bigger straight-6 and V8s have better chances, nearly 300k is possible, but I think rare still?

Probably less than 1 per 1,000?

My cars smoked at 100k to 120k in the 70s and 80s.

One friend had a Mark 3 Cortina in 1978 which failed at 240k all motorway miles on Castrol GTX from new, always gently driven. Castrol wanted his old engine and would have paid for his refurbed engine, but it had already been refurbed and resold by the time they replied with their offer.

Even 20 years ago it was unusual to see more than around 180k miles and nobody would buy such a car.

So what is achievable today by engine sizes, when do they start to rattle?

2. Likes Henry_B liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_S-V6_2004 View Post
    It's good but 300k is not common either, is it Mr H?

Over 200k is very uncommon for a car petrol engine, especially small to medium engines.

Bigger straight-6 and V8s have better chances, nearly 300k is possible, but I think rare still?

Probably less than 1 per 1,000?

My cars smoked at 100k to 120k in the 70s and 80s.

One friend had a Mark 3 Cortina in 1978 which failed at 240k all motorway miles on Castrol GTX from new, always gently driven. Castrol wanted his old engine and would have paid for his refurbed engine, but it had already been refurbed and resold by the time they replied with their offer.

Even 20 years ago it was unusual to see more than around 180k miles and nobody would buy such a car.

So what is achievable today by engine sizes, when do they start to rattle?

TBF oil technology was quite primitive in the "old days" also engines weren't built with the precision of today.

many small engines have made it over 200k

All to do with the maintenance

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by payno View Post
    That confirms what I said stick to the oil that was specified by the engines manufacture if it says 5w30 that's what you should use
    You are just stating the obvious (and even the manufacturer says 0W-30 is Ok, just not necessary)!

The OP asked why Castrol suggest something different years after working with Jaguar on the original specification.
    Castrol seem to be rationalising their range and one move seems to be to drop the 5W-20 and -30 oils and they are saying that their 0W-xx oils are an acceptable alternative. If you want to use Castrol or all oil manufacturers rationalise their ranges in the same way, we will all have to use 0W-30 in our old cars.

It is not a matter of winning the argument, it is about understanding the technology. Sure sticking to the manufacturer's recommendation is the best option and one you will see me always support, but when that is not possible, we should be able to make an intelligent choice from the options that are available.
    S-Type 3.0 Manual MY2001 in Pacific Blue with Cashmere Leather Sport Seats, Sunroof, Melbourne Alloys, Premium Sound plus some other stuff ... 55k miles.
    XKR 5.0 Speed Pack MY2011 in Polaris White with Ivory/Charcoal Leather, Nevis Alloys and R-Performance Interior plus some other stuff ... 16k miles.
    Hyundai Tucson 1.6T AWD MY2016 in White Sand. Basic, comfortable and surprisingly fast and competent ... 10k miles.
    FIAT Coupe MY1997 in Steel Grey with Tan Leather ... 55k miles.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashanti View Post
    Another Oil post I can add my twopenneth to

I can now speak from experience after 3 oil changes using Ford's own 5w30 oil.

It does exactly as it says on the tin and a hell of a lot cheaper than Castrol.

Don't forget, our cars were made when under Ford ownership.

Here's a link to the cheapest place to get the stuff and as a bonus, they have an offer on it and other oils till Sunday.

Just ordered another 20 litres, which when added to what I have left will see another 4 changes in the bank.

Pity I can't get the OE spec filters as cheap as I used to from Hatfields

Rich
    What a bargain! Does anyone have the specs sheet for this?
    Jaguar S-type Sport 3.0l 2004 facelift

Post Thanks / Like
    There are currently about 100 petrol-engined cars under 1200 cc which have done over 200k miles for sale on Mobile.de. So there must be thousands not for sale.

If Twingos can reach 200k, I expect all petrol-engined cars can. There is a 3.0 S-type from 2000 on 285k miles for sale in NL.

Why don't we see so many, because Diesel is cheaper if you are going to do starship miles.
    S-Type 3.0 Manual MY2001 in Pacific Blue with Cashmere Leather Sport Seats, Sunroof, Melbourne Alloys, Premium Sound plus some other stuff ... 55k miles.
    XKR 5.0 Speed Pack MY2011 in Polaris White with Ivory/Charcoal Leather, Nevis Alloys and R-Performance Interior plus some other stuff ... 16k miles.
    Hyundai Tucson 1.6T AWD MY2016 in White Sand. Basic, comfortable and surprisingly fast and competent ... 10k miles.
    FIAT Coupe MY1997 in Steel Grey with Tan Leather ... 55k miles.

Post Thanks / Like
    There is a an X350 Daimler Super 8 down the road from me.

Can't remember its private reg so I'll go look later, but as I recall, the last time I checked its MOT, it was well over 200k.

Sadly, close up it looked like it.
    Silentum Sicarius

2006MY Super V8 LWB in Midnight Black with Ivory
    All options except Sunroof. Lambswool Overmats are MIA
    Longlife Exhaust - Waft 'N' Loud
    Nextbase Dashcam's Forward & Aft

My Showroom Thread

2008MY LR Discovery 3 HSE V6 2.7TD
    Buckingham Blue with Alpacca

You're a long time dead, Enjoy life whilst you have it!

Post Thanks / Like
    This is encouraging chaps.

But if lower mileage cars are available, and in better condition...

High mileage also means that other parts will be near end of life so it's not going to be easy to sell a car near 200k miles.

The reason for my question is to estimate when a thicker oil might extend engine life.

When it's clattering already it's too late.

Used to have: Superb Silver 2004 2.5-litre V6 petrol, ZF Auto box
    Don't believe anything I say - Alzheimer's is setting in!
    Links:
    The Coffee Shop Thread: http://www.jaguarforum.com/showthread.php?t=65758
    S Type Stickies: http://www.jaguarforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=104

Post Thanks / Like
    This is encouraging chaps.

But if lower mileage cars are available, and in better condition...

High mileage also means that other parts will be near end of life so it's not going to be easy to sell a car near 200k miles.

The reason for my question is to estimate when a thicker oil might extend engine life.

When it's clattering already it's too late.

With modern VVT cams increasing the viscosity of the oil may damage the engine.

It's not like the 'ole days

10. Likes Jimbov8 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I doubt they are so sensitive Henry.

Are you making things up as you go along?

Think about it.

We're only talking about going from xW30 to xW40, stop scaremongering!

Post Thanks / Like
    I doubt they are so sensitive Henry.

Are you making things up as you go along?

Think about it.

We're only talking about going from xW30 to xW40, stop scaremongering!

Nah not making up anything bruv!!

The tolerances in modern engines is so tight even raising the grade slightly can cause issues.

Plus if the engine is maintained you shouldn't need to raise the grade to take up slack.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast