Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jaguar dealer v Jaguar Independent

Post Thanks / Like
    Do my own work on all my vehicles. Tires mounted on my cars, are about all that anyone does for me. Take my time, read, buy what is needed to do the job myself, then jump in.

2. Likes rickwpw liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    My experience with main dealers was so bad I’ve moved to Mercedes.
    Two years ago Parks’ Jaguar Ayr reported my rear brake pads worn 90% and front worn 80% The car done just around 32k. Six months later with an additional 8k miles I replaced both sets of pads myself as the pad warning light had come on.
    I measured the old pads with a vernier guage and calculated the wear against the new pads to find they were only worn 50%. As far as I know brake pads do not grow in size !

The following year Parks’ ripped me off £760 for new rear upper suspension arms which simply were not required at 43k miles. I eventually removed the new arms and refitted the originals and the car passed another MOT test at a test centre known for it strictness.

With this on top of the door corrosion problem I had on my XF I was left with no option, so I moved to Mercedes which so far I have not regretted.
    Mercedes CLS AMG design Shooting Brake.

Post Thanks / Like
    OK, For what it's worth I have found an excellent indi. He is Jaguar trained to master tech level and now set up on his own. His prices are good, work is quick and honest and they provide a car if need be during repair. Just had my J-gate replaced, everything else requiring work diagnosed and pointed out together with pricing if required. His company is Leapers in Thame ( Oxon). He does all Jags, even the E-types. Really nice chap to deal with as well.
    2.2d S 2008MY saloon, Chilli Red. 76k on the clock- SUNROOF and all toys except touch scn.

Honda Jazz 1.4 Dsi CVT

VW Polo TDI Sport

3L V6 XJ SE -2004 - Radiance Red. 57k on the clock. Sheer driving pleasure.

5. Likes Jimbov8 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just took my XF to local garage I supplied parts (rear pads, discs, wear sensor. Oil/oil filter air filter cabin filter diesel filter)

2.5 hours labour to do the job and charged me £115 happy with that
    http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...f/TINK06-1.jpg
    3.0d V6 275bhp XF-S Portfolio Polaris White 20" Draco black rims Tinted windows and a few interior LED's
    2.2d Premium Sport X Type Estate Liquid Silver Silver sparkle Proteus rims Tinted windows, retro fit powerfold mirrors & puddle lights. LED lit interior and Shark fin aerial .. purrrfect
    Joint owner of 64 plate SLK 250 CDI AMG Sportline 200bhp in polar white

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianG View Post
    I can and have done minor work on my cars, but I have not found a suitable independent Jaguar garage in my area and would not trust a basic garage to do a decent job. I therefore found it easier to use the main dealer in Crawley, West Sussex for over 20 years, throughout its various changes of ownership (Gatwick Jaguar, Guy Salmon and now Harwoods). Generally the pricing for older Jaguars under the "3+" scheme is quite competitive and you do get the benefit of warranty on parts fitted. If you are a JEC member 'non-menu' service work is at a discounted labour rate and you get discount on parts as well. The dealer always gives me a Jaguar courtesy car, and my own car is always thoroughly washed and valeted before return.

Regarding extra work, a 'free health check' list is given every time it goes in for any work and this shows the status of all the major things that are checked and can give a useful advance warning of things that might cause a future problem. Sometimes it quotes for extra items of work that they recommend to do such as changing the front timing cover gasket for a minor oil leak at around £900-odd (surprisingly declined!), and silly prices for new tyres when yours are getting a bit low, but there's not any pressure to have such items done. On a few occasions there have been mistakes made, as with any garage, but they are usually very apologetic and put it right without quibble and have even given something extra as a goodwill gesture, all in the name of maintaining high standards. I appreciate it could be difficult to call a garage out on problems if you don't have the confidence or engineering knowledge to know when things are not right.
    There is one in your area who is excellent and a very decent chap:
    http://www.ghautoengineering.co.uk
    Giles changed my SC pulley when I first got the car, and advised while it was off to do the valley hose (which I knew nothing about at the time), which could well have saved me a lot in the long run. Good bloke and very reliable.
    Current
    X350 XJR, Chrysler Crossfire, Marlin Roadster
    Past Jags
    X300 XJ6 3.2
    X350 Sport Premium TDVI
    X300 XJR (manual 'box)
    X100 XK8 Coupé

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by getawayhs2 View Post
    There is one in your area who is excellent and a very decent chap:
    http://www.ghautoengineering.co.uk
    Giles changed my SC pulley when I first got the car, and advised while it was off to do the valley hose (which I knew nothing about at the time), which could well have saved me a lot in the long run. Good bloke and very reliable.
    Wondering if this may be near me too, I clicked on the link. That has to be the least informative website that I have ever visited.
    Chris. T.
    2000 XK8 4.0 Coupe
    2010 XJ SWB 3.0D Portfolio. With TVs. Lots of TVs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_doctor View Post
    Wondering if this may be near me too, I clicked on the link. That has to be the least informative website that I have ever visited.
    " fully qualified Jaguar technician", "Offering a competitively priced mobile repair service in and around Surrey and Sussex" with his phone number and email address - not sure what more information you need. He is based in Wisborough Green according to Companies House - don't know about you but I check any business out thoroughly before using them.
    Current
    Past Jags
    X300 XJ6 3.2
    X350 Sport Premium TDVI
    X300 XJR (manual 'box)
    X100 XK8 Coupé

Post Thanks / Like
    In my opinion, the difference between a good Indie and a main dealer is that the Indie has more interest in retaining a good reputation, whereas a main dealer doesn't have that concern as there will always be cars under warranty needing work, a captive market so to speak.
    I've had a bad experience with both a Jaguar and a Bentley main dealer, so it's Indie's all the way for me now.
    Train hard, fight easy.

Black on Ivory 5.0 Stratstone 'Le Mans' special edition XFR.

Post Thanks / Like
    Me too, years ago my local dealer stitched me up on an approved used car warranty (I had to threaten to be a bit vocal about in the showroom on a Saturday afternoon to get it sorted). And another approved used purchase from a main dealer, also dealing in Lamborghini/Mclaren saw the car going back 5 times for their poor workmanship.
    Current
    Past Jags
    X300 XJ6 3.2
    X350 Sport Premium TDVI
    X300 XJR (manual 'box)
    X100 XK8 Coupé

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm always surprised how independents are pretty much the same price as Dealers - in fact the 3 year+ servicing deals for the main dealers are usually cheaper than a lot of independents. But I think other work; such as brakes, MOT, faulting finding etc. are usually cheaper at an independent - and they should be more knowledgeable and experienced with older cars.

But I do find dealers can be dishonest at times. I have experience of them telling me parts need replacing that do not. The last case was with my wife's XF. Not long after we bought it I had it serviced by the main dealer in Peterborough, I had not used them since the last bad experience but wanted to keep up the dealer history. They sent me the 'health check video', stating we needing new front discs/pads.

Feeling surprised as I had a receipt for their replacement not long before we purchased the car, I checked it in with a local friend who owns a garage. He called me around to the side of the car where he had the wheel and showed me; there was loads of life left in both the disks and pads, and they looked quite new. But the man in the video was confidently pointing at them and stating they were worn and needed replacement, with no conscience.

The experience I had prior to that, was just over 10 years ago. My MY2000 XJ8 Sovereign was booked in for a routine service, and a very rude man claiming to be the workshop manager, phoned me to say I needed a new steering rack, and that the car was an MOT failure. A small argument on the phone ensued, as I told him I would collect the car and think about it, and he said I must have the work done as it was not road legal. He tied telling me he could not let me drive the car away. in the end I picked the car up, took it to a different local garage I looked up, and was told there was nothing whatsoever wrong with the steering.

The aggressiveness of that guy telling me I had to have the work done was shocking, and that experience ended my 4 year history with them. I can only hope he was sacked, and I actually cannot believe I did tell them. Unfortunately it's never really been my style to complain - I tend to just move on. But I am learning that I need to tell companies when they make mistakes, otherwise how can they identify dishonest employees.
    Regards
    Chris Clark
    2007 XJ X358 Sovereign Diesel LWB (Work horse)
    2001 XJ Daimler Super V8 (Project car)

Previous... 1992 XJ40 Sovereign, 1994 XJ40 Sovereign, 2000 XJ Sovereign, 2000 Daimler V8, 2003 X350 Super V8, 2008 XJ X358 Sovereign Diesel

www.autosanity.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast