Thread: Fixing right rear window

Post Thanks / Like

Fixing right rear window

Hi all,

I recently bought a second hand X Type and the previous owner warned me about the right rear window not working. He said he put something to prevent the window going down so it wasn't a big deal for me. The thing is while driving to South Wales this weekend window started to going down and eventually I had to fix it with gaffer tape to the window frame.

Window engine seems to be working so I presume cable has snapped and previous owner didn't bother to fix it.

Would it be difficult to fix it without taking it to a garage?

My knowledge of mechanics is limited, so if I least had a video tutorial or instructions I could buy a spare kit and fixt it myself. I was trying to find a similar post but I didn't find anything.

Many thanks in advance.
    X-Type 2.5 V6 SE AWD Auto 2001 47K

Post Thanks / Like
    buy a whole new regulator and swap it, its very easy to do
    I just saw an Audi driver using his indicators correctly on the motorway. Twice. Should I report the vehicle as stolen?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    '56 plate X-Type 2.2D Sovereign Winter Gold -- 131k Miles --
    '06 plate X-Type 2.0D Sport Ultraviolet -120k Miles --

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RageMonkey1989 View Post
    buy a whole new regulator and swap it, its very easy to do
    That's what I did, thanks RageMonkey1989!!

I spent half an hour changing the regulator and probably 4 hours to get rid of the residue of the gaffer tape around the window frame...
    X-Type 2.5 V6 SE AWD Auto 2001 47K

Post Thanks / Like
    That was quick. The time consuming part of the job is cutting through the sealant that seals the inner door shield.
    2008 XJR + sun roof + soft leather + ACC + retrofit: burr walnut interior trim
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    2007 X-Type 3.0 SP Auto + retrofit: walnut dash & gear knob + rear sill protectors + mudflaps + Al powerwash crucifers + memory powerfolds

"Life's too short for touchscreens - give me lots of nice buttons to press"

Post Thanks / Like
    To be honest I didn’t pay too much attention to the sealant and I tore part of the insulation, also I broke a few plastic pins that hold the trim to the door. So overall a botched job which I am not fully satisfied with.