Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oh sod it

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cris View Post
    Just bought 2 Brembo front discs from Germany and a set of pads for £158. Local garage fitted for £60. Hopefully an improvement. But pads only cost £32 a set (brembo).
    Bremo (like Mintex and all those) make some half decent, high performance stuff. They also make some low cost, overpriced stuff that would be unsuitable for my driving style. I can guess which yours are , but hope they serve you well. Defo not for me though.

I'll see what I can blag from Jaguar when I'm back in Blighty. That will give me a benchmark by which to judge the car fairly.

The existing ones, fitted before I got it, are Pagid - another once decent name that appear to be having to compete on price now. They are very, very dusty.
    2010 XJ Portfolio running on lorry fuel. I know, Jag Diesel is just wrong!

Post Thanks / Like
    I believe that Pagid were OEM on Jaguars, at least at one point if not now, similarly what the Indys used on my Audi A6 as well

They're a good choice and carry 25 month / 25k mile warranty on them too, they are that good and have worked well for me.

Yes they can be dusty, but that's what they do as the wear surely?
    Means they're doing their job

Eurocarparts currently have a 33% discount code, Carparts4less is pretty good too and worth checking

Anyhow hope to hear how you get on and what you decide....
    Jim
    https://postimg.cc/gallery/3i38gydiy/
    MY2016 ( 65 ) XJ X351 3.0d Portfolio LWB, Black, London Tan leather interior, 20" Orona alloys, picnic tables and rear multimedia
    MY2009 ( 58 ) X type 2.2d Sport Premium, Heated seats, Front & Rear park assist, Sat Nav, 18" Proteus alloys, tinted rear windows, Heko wind deflectors

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JimC64 View Post
    I believe that Pagid were OEM on Jaguars, at least at one point if not now, similarly what the Indys used on my Audi A6 as well

They're a good choice and carry 25 month / 25k mile warranty on them too, they are that good and have worked well for me.
    What these companies sell into the aftermarket channels is very often not (usually for legal reasons) what they sell to the manufacturers, so be aware of that.

25k warranty? Thats meaningless to me, as I don't expect them to last 15k .

Eurocarparts currently have a 33% discount code, Carparts4less is pretty good too and worth checking
    I will NEVER use CP4L again after the trouble they have given me on my last 2 orders. At least their sister company you can go in and discuss in branch, plus I now have some good contacts within their company following the issues with CP4L. I tend to be choosy what I buy from that outfit, as I'm not always convinced (understatement of the year) that they source products from reputable sources. Thats assuming they are not being dishonest.

Without looking too hard, retail looks to be a shocking £150 for front pads (more than ECP), £50 for rears (cheaper than ECP) and £25 for sensors (cheaper than ECP). As said, I will see what I can blag at dealer when I get home .

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBoy View Post
    What these companies sell into the aftermarket channels is very often not (usually for legal reasons) what they sell to the manufacturers, so be aware of that.

25k warranty? Thats meaningless to me, as I don't expect them to last 15k .

I will NEVER use CP4L again after the trouble they have given me on my last 2 orders. At least their sister company you can go in and discuss in branch, plus I now have some good contacts within their company following the issues with CP4L. I tend to be choosy what I buy from that outfit, as I'm not always convinced (understatement of the year) that they source products from reputable sources. Thats assuming they are not being dishonest.

Without looking too hard, retail looks to be a shocking £150 for front pads (more than ECP), £50 for rears (cheaper than ECP) and £25 for sensors (cheaper than ECP). As said, I will see what I can blag at dealer when I get home .

Lol okeedokee then....

I'm still struggling to comprehend though 5k-7k on a set of pads on your other exec saloon you mentioned though?
    That has to be either racing or very hard on the brakes or poor quality perhaps?

I remember getting a little over 50k on my pads on my Audi A6 and then it was pads and discs all round at 89k miles which I thought was good.

Trying to remember but I'm sure I got 25k - 30k out of my pads on the X358, the rears worked harder and wore quicker

Good luck whichever way you go
    Jim
    https://postimg.cc/gallery/3i38gydiy/
    MY2016 ( 65 ) XJ X351 3.0d Portfolio LWB, Black, London Tan leather interior, 20" Orona alloys, picnic tables and rear multimedia
    MY2009 ( 58 ) X type 2.2d Sport Premium, Heated seats, Front & Rear park assist, Sat Nav, 18" Proteus alloys, tinted rear windows, Heko wind deflectors

5. Likes Alec Escolme liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The X358 has no warning - so I think you are lucky to at least have this feature.

Interestingly my old 1992 BMW 5 series had this, so its nice Jaguar have finally entered the 1990's....
    Regards
    Chris Clark
    2007 XJ X358 Sovereign Diesel LWB (Work horse)
    2001 XJ Daimler Super V8 (Project car)

Previous... 1992 XJ40 Sovereign, 1994 XJ40 Sovereign, 2000 XJ Sovereign, 2000 Daimler V8, 2003 X350 Super V8, 2008 XJ X358 Sovereign Diesel

www.autosanity.com

7. Likes Alec Escolme, Henry_B liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm still struggling to comprehend though 5k-7k on a set of pads on your other exec saloon you mentioned though?
    That has to be either racing or very hard on the brakes or poor quality perhaps?
    Pads sourced from proper franchised dealer (Vauxhall). I don't believe in skimping on brakes and tyres etc.

Now, remember I said I struggled to achieve 30mpg from the XJ, even when I drove gently? My idea of gently might not match others idea . I work in Milton Keynes, so that clearly doesn't help.

My previous car was LPG converted, so I didn't care how economical it was (generally averaged 16-17mpg from the 3.0l auto on LPG - so far cheaper on fuel than the Jag)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C16RKC View Post
    The X358 has no warning - so I think you are lucky to at least have this feature.

Interestingly my old 1992 BMW 5 series had this, so its nice Jaguar have finally entered the 1990's....
    When the Jag can adjust the clock automatically, then I'd agree Jaguar have joined the 1990s ;D

10. Likes C16RKC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBoy View Post
    If you look at the photos of genuine Jaguar pads for the XJ X351, many are labelled ATE or Galfer, both of which are Continental brands. I would compare the ATE aftermarket pads first to see if the detailed markings are also the same

I did this for may cars and found that for the two Jaguars, the Jaguar pads sourced from Jurid were better than any of the non-race competition. I just look out for a good deal and buy when cheap.
    S-Type 3.0 Manual MY2001 in Pacific Blue with Cashmere Leather Sport Seats, Sunroof, Melbourne Alloys, Premium Sound plus some other stuff ... 55k miles.
    XKR 5.0 Speed Pack MY2011 in Polaris White with Ivory/Charcoal Leather, Nevis Alloys and R-Performance Interior plus some other stuff ... 16k miles.
    Hyundai Tucson 1.6T AWD MY2016 in White Sand. Basic, comfortable and surprisingly fast and competent ... 10k miles.
    FIAT Coupe MY1997 in Steel Grey with Tan Leather ... 55k miles.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12