Thread: Lighting Fault

Post Thanks / Like

Lighting Fault

Hi I have own this 2004 3.0 V6 S-Type for 2 weeks and the other day went out to it and the battery was stone dead. I bought a new battery and as soon as the battery is connected the front fog lights, front and rear side lights, head light and number plate light are on permanently i made sure all the switches are off but the lights are all still on. can anyone help

Post Thanks / Like
    I would suggest you do a hard reset. Disconnect the battery and touch the two leads together for a couple of minutes. Reconnect the battery and all systems should reset.
    For all lights to be permanently on without being switched would normally be a major wiring fault as there are different circuits involved.
    Also you would get a pretty hefty "crack" as you connect the battery.

Roger
    HEY I THOUGHT I HAD RETIRED, Ex Auto Electrician
    2006 X Type 2.2d SE Manual Estate. Zurcon Blue Champagne/Mocca, F/R Parking sensors, ,Auto Lights, Auto Wipers, Headlight Washers, Sat Nav 2012 update, 17 in Wheels, 112K Mods:- Electric Autofold Mirrors on Locking , HID Dip Beams
    Simple Autofold Mirrors on Locking,http://www.jaguarforum.com/showthrea...irrors+locking
    UPDATE YOUR SIGNATURE http://www.jaguarforum.com/showthread.php?t=91945

Post Thanks / Like
    I used to have a single front sidelight that came on intermittently. Was difficult to find the cause but turned out to be a chafing wire under the left hand wheel arch. To have so many lights on would need major damage to the loom. The wiring behind the front bumper is commonly damaged but unlikely to affect the rear lights. I would inspect the loom everywhere it is visible to look for signs of damage or rubbing. With my fault I could make the light flash on and off by reaching down below the air filter and flexing the cables that came from under the wheel arch and into the engine compartment. The cables were rubbing the bodywork where they came out of the protective plastic channel under the wheel arch. The modern thin wall wiring doesn't take much to wear through.
    2005 S-Type 2.7D
    1998 Yamaha Thunderace

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for your reply i have done a hard reset today and it made no difference there is a crack when you connect the battery so I'm going to investigate the wiring loom next

Post Thanks / Like
    A full reset is definitely the right first move.

"front fog lights, front and rear side lights, head light and number plate light"

Is that one headlight, or both ?

You need to look at things that are common to both front and rear lights.

For the front lights it is : light switch -> Instrument Cluster -> General Electronic Control Module -> Direct to lights
    For the rear lights it is : light switch -> Instrument Cluster -> Rear Electronic Control Module -> Direct to lights

But chafed wiring is also a candidate as it could cause the GEM to misbehave.

You need the electrical manual for your car - try www.jagrepair.com
    S Type 4.2 SE Plus 2002 original spec: Xenon HID/SatNav/Voice/Cassette Player/CDC/TV/GSM Phone/Sun Roof/Rear Blind/CATS.
    Retro-fitted: CD Player/Bluetooth Phone/Aux Power Socket, USB & Volt Meter in Boot/Reversing Cam/Dash Cam & PSU/Dual USB sockets in Armrest/
    Wireless Phone Charger under Instrument Surround.
    Pictures of technical stuff

Post Thanks / Like
    It is both head lights
    Thank you for the information i will start there

Post Thanks / Like
    Sadly broken or corroded wires in the wiring loom behind the front bumper and front wheel arches is a known fault on S-types before the 2005MY updates.

The wires can chafe, causing them to short out on each other and/or on the car body. As the lights use a switched earth system this can cause a back feed through the wiring making more than one type of light come on all the time.
    Black 2004 S-Type R
    VIN: 51N141xx (4.75MY)
    First owner 01.03.2004 to 05.11.2004 Jaguar Cars Co. Fleet Admin, Rugby.
    P.D.I done at Browns Lane on 24.02.2004 at 43 miles.
    (Previously Morocco Red/Magnolia 4.0 XJ40 Sovereign VIN:708xxx.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for all the advice after a few days of checking wiring loom and studying the wiring diagrams I finally fix the fault by fitting a second hand front electronic module

9. Likes rchiv liked this post