Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which battery for 1965 S type

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by piman View Post
    Hello Cass,

as I said earlier it is a long time since I removed a Mk 2 starter motor, but I did not do any work from the top but underneath. My car is a manual gearbox by the way and may have a bearing on the job?

Alec
    Mine is an auto box so the bell housing is larger so less room to get around it and you have the cooling pipes which run from the BW35 box along the side of the sump to the radiator and these get in the way. Also if I am not mistaken on the MK2 manual box there is a hatch on the bulkhead which allows you to get a socket through from the drivers footwell on to the top nut. When I replaced the old for the new I did rig up an extension with a knuckle joint which allowed me to get to the bottom bolt but it was still a pig of a job.
    Rob.C.
    1968 Jaguar S Type 3.4 Auto Old English white
    2006 X type SE 2.0d Estate
    1966 Ford Anglia 1760 X flow
    1993 Yamaha FJ1200
    2012 Old English Sheep Dog White and Grey

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Cass
    Now you’ve really put me off the job! Like you, I should have had the starter motor looked at a couple of years ago when the engine was done.....
    Thanks anywayfor the detailed (torturous) way you tackled the job and managed not to be embarrassed with a 999 call-out!
    At the moment, I’m trying to get my new battery changed with the advised CCA then, if that fails, I’ll go down the removal route.
    Barrie

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Barrie,

your original (new?) battery should crank the engine if all is well, as I said the original MK2 was rated at 67 Amp/hours, and I'm sure that the S type uses the same motor (M 45G?). At least i would try and borrw a larger battery to try before committing to buying another, or alternativel;y use jump leads from another vehicle?

Alec
    2004 2.5 X Type Estate, MK 2 3.8 (Long term restoration), 2.5 P.I. Triumph saloon, 564 Hymer motorhome.

Post Thanks / Like
    I personally would and have gone down the route of changing the starter motor to an unrated high powered modern starter. If you are going to do the job of removing the starter motor its best if it's just done the once. I had the original starter motor out several times to check, refurbish, reinstall and curse it again for letting me down before I went for the new starter. Even that was cursed at first as they sent me a starter for a manual and I have an Auto. Fitted it and would not turn the engine over. Removed it checked it reinstalled it again still had the same problem then removed it again and figured out what they had done so had to put the old original starter back in whilst waiting for the replacement to arrive before doing it all again with the correct new starter. I am now an expert at removing the starter motor from an S type Jaguar. The Mk2 would be exactly the same.
    Rob.C.
    1968 Jaguar S Type 3.4 Auto Old English white
    2006 X type SE 2.0d Estate
    1966 Ford Anglia 1760 X flow
    1993 Yamaha FJ1200
    2012 Old English Sheep Dog White and Grey

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi all. I’ve finally sorted out the starter motor situation.

My local garage managed to remove the starter without too much difficulty - from below, but a bit tight.

I took it to Classic and Vintage Dynamos Ltd., in Shirebrook, Nottinghamshire (01623 747666) where they had an exchange starter motor for my 3.8 litre S type on the shelf. It cost £90 plus VAT.

This place is like walking into a time warp; health and safety, nor the factory inspector doesn’t know if exists but there are dozens of dynamos and starter motor there being renovated.
    Whilst there, they ran up the old starter and the new one- the latter turning much quicker and does so on my car.

So problem solved; thanks to all for their contribution and hope the above company is useful for the record.
    Barrie

6. Likes Jimbov8 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Barrie,

good to hear of a satisfactory outcome. You should have many years of effetive starting in front of you./

Alec
    2004 2.5 X Type Estate, MK 2 3.8 (Long term restoration), 2.5 P.I. Triumph saloon, 564 Hymer motorhome.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12