Thread: Keyless entry

Post Thanks / Like

Keyless entry

We seem to have a problem locking our Jaguar 09 XF Portfolio. It does not matter if we use the bottom on the key fob or the button on the door or do a single press or double press. You can hear the doors locking the wing mirrors swing in. We move the keys away from the car and then I open the door and climb in. Have not tried to start engine yet but might next time. The alarm does go off but that's not the point. Why can't we lock the doors so no one can open them again.

How far do they need to be away. Is a steel box needed to store them in.

Post Thanks / Like
    After locking the car, I think there's a time lag (3 seconds?) during which if you pull the handle it won't open. After that the system 'assumes' you want to get back in. Keys need to be within a metre or so of the car to be detected. Further than that away & it should stay locked.

The system is quite clever. After collecting my car from the stealers, we stopped for lunch & I took both keys away with me. Then thought 'can the car tell which key was used?', so I left one set in the glove box, locked the car and walked away. Came back without the key I used to lock it - wondering whether the car would open 'cos there was a key inside - nope - stayed locked.
    2010 (10) XF 3.0D S Prem Lux in Spectrum / Ivory + Parking kit, DAB Radio, Xenon lamps, Voice.

Work is time spent paying for sailing !

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, is it all doors or just the one you are able to open. If it's just the one it might be a faulty solenoid on that door lock. Try locking it on the dash button while inside it and look to see if all the locking levers move. Phil
    2008 XF Luxury 2.7D, Azure Blue/Dove Grey, Jaguar Voice, Mirror Pack, Winter Pack, DAB Radio, Keyless Entry, Owned from new.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by philayl1 View Post
    Hi, is it all doors or just the one you are able to open. If it's just the one it might be a faulty solenoid on that door lock. Try locking it on the dash button while inside it and look to see if all the locking levers move. Phil
    OK, will check that out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Do all doors unlock when non-driver doors detect the key and are opened? I opened my door before I decided to throw my bag in the back seat. The passenger could only get in to the front after I'd opened the back door.

I just about get the gist of the 2-stage unlocking. I leave that option on although it annoys passengers. Would any door be able to be opened with me in the vicinity if I turned it off? I still worry about throwing my bag with the keys in, although I know it won't lock itself if I've already opened the door!
    Jaguar XF 3.0d V6 Premium Luxury 2010 Ultimate Black/ Charcoal leather

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, had a play over lunch and it is only the drivers door I can't lock. All three passengers doors stay locked and the boot as well. But as soon as I pull the drivers door handle the door opens and a few seconds later the alarm goes off. That would explain why we keep thinking it does work when we try a passengers door but every so often we set the alarm off by trying the drivers handle.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkstar_Surfer View Post
    Ok, had a play over lunch and it is only the drivers door I can't lock. All three passengers doors stay locked and the boot as well. But as soon as I pull the drivers door handle the door opens and a few seconds later the alarm goes off. That would explain why we keep thinking it does work when we try a passengers door but every so often we set the alarm off by trying the drivers handle.
    Almost certainly the door lock solenoid gone, as you can't buy the solenoid separately it's a new lock. If you are buying the lock yourself make sure you get the one for the keyless entry, there are two types. Phil
    2008 XF Luxury 2.7D, Azure Blue/Dove Grey, Jaguar Voice, Mirror Pack, Winter Pack, DAB Radio, Keyless Entry, Owned from new.

Post Thanks / Like
    Its booked in to the garage as its a warranty claim. I just wanted to be sure before I booked it in as it a lot of hassle to us to take the car back.