Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Crank snapped

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankandbroke View Post
    Jaguar just rang and told me I have to pay it all because it's out of warranty and I didn't buy it from a dealership
    Thats shocking! I would definatly be seeking legal advice from this point on.
    Present: 2016 Jaguar XJ R-Sport
    Present: 2005 Toyota Yaris (winter run around)

Post Thanks / Like
    Next stop - contact a solicitor/ trading standards and check exactly where you stand legally (if you have any rights under the consumer rights act). As it was used and not bought from an approved Jaguar source, they may have no legal (contractual) obligations to you so it's critical you know where you stand.
    Assuming the worst, pull the car, get it to someone who won't stiff you on parts and labour.
    As an example (won't fit yours) https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RECONDITI...IAAOSwCtJaH9j4
    but they may do your model too. Gives you an idea anyway.
    As you plan to sell the car soon, I'd also be calling round breakers and see if you can find a used block. Then get a local mechanic to swap them over.
    e.g. http://www.eurojag.com/engines/267-x...v6-engine.html
    2012 XF 3.0D S Premium Luxury

Post Thanks / Like
    Before you decide which road to take re engine recon etc do a lot of research (the eBay linked company featured in series 34 watch dog and don’t get done get Dom )

4. Likes jberks liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    First of all I would get back to Jaguar and tell them you don’t accept their decision. They will probably still refuse any offer as they did with me, but at least it gives them the chance to reconsider.
    Next I would contact Auto Express and give them all the details you have. Auto Express were instrumental in getting Jaguar to change their minds regarding my doors which were corroded right through. My car was a 2010 MY with 43k on the clock.
    It is unacceptable for a 14 plate car of any manufacture to break a crankshaft in two.

Good Luck
    Mercedes CLS AMG design Shooting Brake.

Post Thanks / Like
    I can sort of see Jaguar’s point of view in some circumstances but we don’t seem to have all the facts here unless I’ve missed them?

How many miles has the engine done? Does it have a full Jaguar service history? When did you buy the car? Have you taken it up with the supplying dealer?

I was puzzled by the OP saying that the dealer was approved by Jaguar, which implied to me that it wasn’t a franchised dealer. Very rare, IME, for a major manufacturer to approve an dealer outside of the franchised network.

7. Thanks s collins thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The biggest problem you have is, you don’t know how well the car was looked after by the previous owner/s, did they service it regularly at the prescribed intervals, did they use the correct grade of oil etc. When did you buy it? Your only route of redress is from the dealer you bought it from, you could pursue them via the courts stating that th3 fault/damage was present when purchased, what guarantees or paperwork did they supply or tell you about the cars history?
    Dave

2003.50MY Facelift Midnight Black XJ8 3.5 V8, Electrochromic Rear View Mirror & Electrochromic Folding Wing Mirrors, Heated Dove Grey Leather Memory Seats with 16 Way Adjustment, ARTS Active Headrests, Factory Sat Nav, Factory Bi-Xenons, CATS Air Suspension. Bluetooth & Voice control now retrofitted and working. Currently about to start the rear entertainment retrofit.

9. Thanks s collins thanked for this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12