Thread: rear stop light replacement

Post Thanks / Like

rear stop light replacement

Is it true that rear stop light cant be replaced and the all unit must be replaced because of led light

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bourhisal View Post
    Is it true that rear stop light cant be replaced and the all unit must be replaced because of led light
    It depends on the model of your car.
    From 2008 to 2011 the XF X250 had ordinary halogen bulbs for the rear brake lights and they are very easy to replace, I did this on both of my 2010 XFs.
    But from 2012 to 2015 I think the X250 had LED rear brake lights and they are not replaceable or repairable, same with the X260 from 2015 on I think.
    Someone more knowledgeable about the 2012 onwards XF could chime in and confirm or correct.
    2014 F-Type S coupe, Lunar Grey, red seats and nearly all the options.
    The dearly departed - 2010 XFS and 2010 XFR.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, I have a 2012 upgrade XF and had to replace the complete unit. Expensive new, but can be sourced cheaper on the Bay, had to get mine from USA.

Post Thanks / Like
    They will almost certainly be repairable if you have the skills but it's a palaver and most of us don't have the time, kit or inclination so yes, new unit required.
    2012 XF 3.0D S Premium Luxury

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by OzJagXFS View Post
    It depends on the model of your car.
    From 2008 to 2011 the XF X250 had ordinary halogen bulbs for the rear brake lights and they are very easy to replace, I did this on both of my 2010 XFs.
    But from 2012 to 2015 I think the X250 had LED rear brake lights and they are not replaceable or repairable, same with the X260 from 2015 on I think.
    Someone more knowledgeable about the 2012 onwards XF could chime in and confirm or correct.
    This is incorrect Oz, my 2008 model has LED brake lights, but bulbs for indicators and reversing lamps. Phil
    2008 XF Luxury 2.7D, Azure Blue/Dove Grey, Jaguar Voice, Mirror Pack, Winter Pack, DAB Radio, Keyless Entry, Owned from new.

Post Thanks / Like
    Same as my 2010 model
    Quote Originally Posted by philayl1 View Post
    This is incorrect Oz, my 2008 model has LED brake lights, but bulbs for indicators and reversing lamps. Phil
    2010 XFS 3.0D Portfolio with all toys (ACC/Voice/TV etc) except sunroof

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, seems my memory failed me yet again!
    I didn't change the brake light globes, it was the reversing light globes I changed (swapped the feeble halogens for super bright LEDs).
    So as jberks says it is possible to repair the LED brake lights but very difficult and the best bet it to look for used one(s) on Fleabay.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by OzJagXFS View Post
    Yep, seems my memory failed me yet again!
    I didn't change the brake light globes, it was the reversing light globes I changed (swapped the feeble halogens for super bright LEDs).
    So as jberks says it is possible to repair the LED brake lights but very difficult and the best bet it to look for used one(s) on Fleabay.
    Hi Oz, the led conversion of reversing lights is summat I've been considering - I don't like reversing between unlit brick gate posts on a rainy winter's night very much! Can you recall what you used? TIA.
    2010 (10) XF 3.0D S Prem Lux in Spectrum / Ivory + Parking kit, DAB Radio, Xenon lamps, Voice.

Work is time spent paying for sailing !

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Catlover View Post
    Hi Oz, the led conversion of reversing lights is summat I've been considering - I don't like reversing between unlit brick gate posts on a rainy winter's night very much! Can you recall what you used? TIA.
    They are PS19W.
    I bought them over four years ago so I no longer have the details of the exact ones I bought, but from memory they were very similar to the 3rd and 7th listings on this page: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...ed&_sacat=6000

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. They’re on the shopping list.
    2010 (10) XF 3.0D S Prem Lux in Spectrum / Ivory + Parking kit, DAB Radio, Xenon lamps, Voice.

Work is time spent paying for sailing !