Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast

Thread: X-TYPE - Why do the non X-TYPE 'JAGUAR' owners dismiss the X-TYPE ?

Post Thanks / Like
    I loved my 2.2 Sports premium estate .. was great car, reliable, economical, comfortable etc

I got so much grief from a mate going on about it being a mondeo that it became tiresome !!!

The X Type went and I got the XF now apparently I'm a grandad !! this is all from a bloke that drives a 2010 Honda CRX
    XF-S 3.0 V6 275bhp Portfolio with a few nice extras Polaris White 20" Draco black rims Tinted windows and a few interior LED's

Joint owner of Merc 64 plate SLK 250 CDI AMG Sportline 200bhp in polar white

Post Thanks / Like
    I have had my 2009 Sovereign over 4 years now, & love it more every day. I get admiring comments most places I go, so much better than the newer boxes on wheels!

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm on my second X400: my first was an 03 plate 2.5 SE auto which I owned for many years up until I got a company car. Now changed jobs and have my current one.

To the misguided Mondeo naysayers I reply that that platform won every award going, 'oh, your Eurobox doesn't have full leather memory seats? Aww, no Alpine sound system? Heated windscreen? Oh look, your onboard satnav isn't touch screen... Oh you don't have onboard nav...' Etc etc.

The VW Phaeton shares a platform with the Bentley Continental.... Bentley: famous for rubbish cars. Wait a minute......
    2.2D X Type Sovereign. 57 reg, Indigo blue metallic. 118k when bought mid August, now at 122k. Everything works! (So far....) Niggly jobs and servicing sorted, but always something to do for a tinkerer!

Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone who buys a car based on what others will say about it is too stupid to be permitted to operate heavy machinery in the first place.

You don't buy an X-Type because it's a Jaguar -- the name is just the bait that gets you into one for the test drive. It is the car that wins you over. I'm glad that Jagoffs condemn it for being a Ford, while Ford drivers fear it for being a Jaguar . . .that combination of ignorance brings the price down. We get twice the car at half the cost, compared to the rest of the Jaguar line or the cars that the X-type was built to compete with.
    2004 X-type Sedan 3.0
    2005 X-type Wagon 3.0

5. Likes Willber G, wa3ra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well I bought my first one after owning a Mk 3 Mondeo that was the most reliable car I had ever had. I figured if it was based on that car, it would be a cracker. Then I found out it was only a few parts used, different wheel base, different, well, almost everything. And it doesn't drive anything like a Mondeo either. Win all around then?

Mondeo was not a bad car. Bit "beige" but drove very well for a rep mobile.
    2001 3.0 SE Auto, Satnav, winter pack. Dark Blue, all the toys.
    2004 3.0 Sovereign Estate. Winter pack. Fixed. For Sale.
    2005 Estate X type 2.2 Sport.
    2000 V8 3.2 XJ8 LWB. "Prom" car. Lovely. Should sell this one too really...
    2005 "AllyCat", 3.0 XJ6 SE.
    2000 S type 4.0 V8. Latest toy.
    VFR800A and a VFR 800F

Still beating cancer. Trevor 2, Cancer 0.

Sure I took the Red pill....

Post Thanks / Like
    The absolute best thing I can say about my X-type is that I still love it and enjoy driving it when compared to the stablemate that I also own
    2007 XK Coupe (Prism Blue / Ivory)
    2002(51) X-type 2.5 SE Manual (Platinum / Warm Charcoal)

Post Thanks / Like
    Crikey - this is a heated thread in sections. I've only skimmed a few pages, but some owners appear to have got a lot of stick!

As a predominately XJ driver over the last 20 years, I have to say I have too been guilty of overlooking the X-type. But I actually owned one for a short while and can attest that they are truly great cars.

For the price of a used Ford Focus, you get quality leather (not that naff stuff you see on Mercs and BMWs), heated electric leather seats and a whole host of other treasures. In addition they really do have that 'Jaguarness' and the leather smell. I heard that the X-type was not a good seller for Jaguar, and represented somewhat of a failure for the company, but that always surprises me given how many there are on the roads. It always puzzled me why they withdrew it with no replacement back in 2010 as well.

Its also odd how the XE has been received so well, but I guess the radical styling has helped.
    Regards
    Chris Clark
    2001 XJ Daimler Super V8 (Car for 'best')
    2004 BMW 730d (Daily workhorse)
    2007 Land Rover Range Rover Sport 2.7TDi (The Wife's baby hauler)

Previous cars: 1992 XJ40 Sovereign, 1994 XJ40 Sovereign, 2000 XJ Sovereign, 2000 Daimler V8, 2003 X350 Super V8, 1994 Renault Clio(!), 1999 Mercedes S430L, 2008 XJ X358 Sovereign Diesel, 2003 Mercedes S320CDi, 2007 XJ X358 Sovereign Diesel LWB

www.autosanity.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C16RKC View Post
    Its also odd how the XE has been received so well, but I guess the radical styling has helped.
    Agree with everything you said except that radical for a Jag I suppose, in the sense that it's utterly, utterly generic.....with a Chrysler 300 nostril.
    2007 XK Coupe (Prism Blue / Ivory)
    2002(51) X-type 2.5 SE Manual (Platinum / Warm Charcoal)

Post Thanks / Like
    Here in Jag city they're a lot more common than Mondeos of the same age (there's at least three silver estates similar to mine within a few hundred yards of me). Not a Jag? Coventry begs to differ.
    2005 2.0D SE, stage 1 remap, EGR blank, remote fold mod, tailgate auto lift mod.

Post Thanks / Like
    This is what the yanks thought of it back in 2007:

https://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/200...of-the-decade/
    "I know I'm a pessimist because my glass is always half empty...even when it's full".

2009 X-Type 2.2D Sovereign - Indigo Blue with Ivory Leather

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast