Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: X-TYPE - Why do the non X-TYPE 'JAGUAR' owners dismiss the X-TYPE ?

Post Thanks / Like

X-TYPE - Why do the non X-TYPE 'JAGUAR' owners dismiss the X-TYPE ?

Hi there, I retired a few months ago at the tender age of 67, I searched for three month to find a 2009 X-Type 2.2 Diesel, Sovereign, Manual, Non DPF Saloon with less than 80K, I found a car in February, its great, just what I was looking for, reliable, comfortable and very economical.
    Over the years I have driven/run many Jaguar cars - several XJ's, several S-Types, two V12 E-Types even a Mark 10 and a XK150, what I don't understand is why the X-Type is so looked down upon, it was designed and built by Jaguar Coventry although built in the Wirral correct !
    The build quality was/is very good, the parts are easy to find at good prices - is it just 'brand' Snobbery.
    This 'Jaguar Forum' site is one of the very few area's that seem to accept the X-Type as a Jaguar model range of note !!
    Sorry but some people appear to be extremely 'stuck-up'.
    Best regards.
    RichardA

2. Likes MarkFY, Roadrunner69 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jealousy
    2005 55 reg 06MY 2.0D Sovereign.
    Jaguar Racing Green - HGZ

4. Likes MarkFY, Nezzer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by richarda View Post
    Hi there, I retired a few months ago at the tender age of 67, I searched for three month to find a 2009 X-Type 2.2 Diesel, Sovereign, Manual, Non DPF Saloon with less than 80K, I found a car in February, its great, just what I was looking for, reliable, comfortable and very economical.
    Over the years I have driven/run many Jaguar cars - several XJ's, several S-Types, two V12 E-Types even a Mark 10 and a XK150, what I don't understand is why the X-Type is so looked down upon, it was designed and built by Jaguar Coventry although built in the Wirral correct !
    The build quality was/is very good, the parts are easy to find at good prices - is it just 'brand' Snobbery.
    This 'Jaguar Forum' site is one of the very few area's that seem to accept the X-Type as a Jaguar model range of note !!
    Sorry but some people appear to be extremely 'stuck-up'.
    Best regards.
    RichardA
    Thankfully, most people on this forum aren’t like that. Yes, I get the feeling there are a few out there but at the end of the day I’d imagine the X-Type owners make up the majority here
    X-Type Sport 2.5 V6 AWD Auto MY2002 79K miles Platinum Cranberry leather sports seats

www.xtype.uk

Retrofits: Climate Control (from manual ac), touch screen, LED interior, facelift multi-function steering wheel, bluetooth, voice, message centre, facelift center console/sliding arm rest, ACM, facelift door cards, powerfold mirrors, powerfold on lock, clear side repeaters, puddle lights, rear electric windows, parking aid, 'JagDroid' Android, front/rear cameras, Nextbase Duo Dashcam

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by richarda View Post
    what I don't understand is why the X-Type is so looked down upon, it was designed and built by Jaguar Coventry although built in the Wirral correct
    I think this was one of the contentious issues when the X-type was in development as I seem to recall that Coventry were presented with the design for the X-Type from Ford in the US as a pretty much completed design and not leaving the JLR Coventry team much to do.

But what rolled off the production line in 2001 was definitely a Jaguar.

And let’s not forget that the XJ X350/X358 bears a striking similarity, shares a lot of components whilst being a lot bigger
    X-Type Sport 2.5 V6 AWD Auto MY2002 79K miles Platinum Cranberry leather sports seats

www.xtype.uk

Retrofits: Climate Control (from manual ac), touch screen, LED interior, facelift multi-function steering wheel, bluetooth, voice, message centre, facelift center console/sliding arm rest, ACM, facelift door cards, powerfold mirrors, powerfold on lock, clear side repeaters, puddle lights, rear electric windows, parking aid, 'JagDroid' Android, front/rear cameras, Nextbase Duo Dashcam

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't worry. It's all based on Jeremy Clarkson's opinion that couldn't square a MacPherson strut Ford chassis with a wishbone Jaguar one, but forgot to notice that the S Type was also built on a Ford (Lincoln) platform, Audis and Porches on VW (Skoda/Seat platforms), Volvos on Fords and Rolls Royce (at the time) on BMW 7 platforms, etc, etc.

Jaguar didn't fight back very hard either!!

A sad story in many ways but there are plenty of genuine Jaguar enthusiasts out there who rate the X Type, many of whom put their money where their mouths are by having an X Type as well as another more 'traditional' model (Like me!)

EDIT See later posts 19 and 20 to exonerate Jeremy Clarkson!
    Last edited by astromorg; 22-07-18 at 21:11.
    2005 XK8 4.2-S Coupe and 2005 Auto SE 2.5 X Type Saloon

8. Likes Jimbov8, MarkFY, Willber G liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't have my X-type anymore but in some respects I miss it.

To me it was a Jaguar up there with the best of them and I would have another tomorrow.

I spent a long time looking for a 2.2 sovereign before moving on to the XF.
    2.2 d sport in British Racing Green metallic with cream leather interior, six disc changer, heated seats,heated screens, hid kit,upper and lower mesh grilles, headlamp power wash.( Has now gone on to new owner) Replaced with a metallic black 2.2 XF sport with extra toys.

10. Likes MarkFY, JimC64 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkFY View Post
    I think this was one of the contentious issues when the X-type was in development as I seem to recall that Coventry were presented with the design for the X-Type from Ford in the US as a pretty much completed design and not leaving the JLR Coventry team much to do.
    I can believe that Ford may have attempted a fait accompli but knowing Geoff Lawson as I did, there was no way he would accept that and he definitely designed it to be how he wanted it to look.
    2005 55 reg 06MY 2.0D Sovereign.
    Jaguar Racing Green - HGZ

Post Thanks / Like
    Honest John Classics has featured the X Type a few times and seems to rate them, here's a couple of articles.

https://classics.honestjohn.co.uk/ne...jaguar-x-type/

https://classics.honestjohn.co.uk/to...guars/?image=9
    2002, 3 Litre Sport, Auto, Titanium Grey with Saville Grey Leather

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Rich, not everyone or not every Jaguar enthusiast thinks that way...

We've had around 5 in the family, a 2.5V6 a couple of 2.0d and a couple of 2.2d variants and loved them. In fact the very car you describe is more or less what we still have. It's my wife's 2.2d Sport Premium ( late 58 ) fully loaded and only has around 80k on the clock now, Love her to bits and a keeper for a few years yet, see below....

As Mark said, the big brother X358 is very similar and I had that too for 4 years, God I loved that car, see here...

Now on to the X351 which I'm loving more each day, see here...

That being said, as much as I love the X351 and I really do, to be honest she's easily several levels above and beyond in so many respects, the X358 always got more attention, due to the classic lines ( shared with the X type ) as can easily be seen.

No snobbery here Richard mate

Just smile and enjoy your beautiful ride when anyone attempts to run her down, you know better along with many others like us
    Jim
    My_XJ_X351_ownership_thread

My_XJ_X358_ownership_thread

MY2016 ( 65 ) XJ X351 3.0d Portfolio LWB, Black, London Tan leather interior, 20" Orona alloys, picnic tables and rear multimedia
    MY2009 ( 58 ) X type 2.2d Sport Premium, Heated seats, Front & Rear park assist, Sat Nav, 18" Proteus alloys, tinted rear windows, Heko wind deflectors

14. Likes Jimbov8, MarkFY, set4d, Tink, Stagnite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Ford connection seems to deter some, dont know why as they make some nice cars. My son is looking at the Mondeo Vignale at the moment, rare & stunning car BTW. The Ford connection is very tenuous at best sharing only 12% parts, although some try to fit Mondeo parts to their cost, they look the same but are not!!
    this page gives the complete development history, a very good read. http://www.aronline.co.uk/cars/jagua...jaguar-x-type/
    2009 2.0D Sovereign Estate 70,000 mls, Ionian blue, Charcoal leather with cream piping & cream leaper logo on Headrests, Alpine premium sound,Sat nav, CD changer & ACM.100w/ 55w HID headlights, LED Fogs, LED indicators, EGR blanked. Blue calipers with Jag logo, front/rear Dash cams, Power fold mirrors on lock, Auto DRL/Fog changeover, Projector Puddle lights, Rear ashtray conv to USB/Aux, Andriod computer int to touchscreen c/w reverse/front cameras, Twin S/S back boxes, OAP.

Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast