Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting expensive

Post Thanks / Like

Getting expensive

Hello once again . Since my last post Iíve had two auto electricians round to find my battery drain . Neither can find it . They think a module isnít going to sleep so itís booked into jaguar as I really need to get it sorted . Iíve also had the dreaded cold air one side , hot air drivers side issue so took it into the garage whereby ( after £109 ) was told it needs a new heater valve ( £238 from jaguar ) had that fitted yesterday ( total bill £503 ) and still got exactly the same issue !! They now think itís a wiring fault . The module was replaced just over two years ago and according to diagnostics itís not that . The chap at the garage has spoken to the tech guys at jaguar and theyíve told him both the battery drain and the aircon issue could be caused by a wiring fault which the s type is supposedly known for , mainly around the front bumper headlight area .do any of you guys have any info on this ? The car is now booked in for to jaguar for both issues which appear to be related so hopefully they can source the dodgy wiring .

Post Thanks / Like
    If they diagnosed and fit the part and it still doesn't work they wouldn't be getting the bill paid for sure.
    2002 S-TYPE R

2005 S-TYPE DIESEL (PREVIOUS)

Post Thanks / Like
    This is the best source that I know off on how to check the s type air conditioning.

http://jaguarclimatecontrol.com/diagnose/

I personally hate these workshops that say it's this part, fit it and then say whoops it is not that part. I would get some advice from consumer advice or a lawyer when they give me a bill like that. Or you could park your car outside like this guy did

https://www.jaguarforum.com/showthread.php?t=109482 and see if they will lower the bill for the incorrect work.
    Grumpy Old Git
    ďWhen a government is dependent upon bankers for money, they and not the leaders of the government control the situation, since the hand that gives is above the hand that takes. Money has no motherland; financiers are without patriotism and without decency; their sole object is gain.Ē
    Napolťon Bonaparte

2003 (botox) S type 3.0 sport with manual gearbox, as rare as rocking horse apples

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ziggy72 View Post
    If they diagnosed and fit the part and it still doesn't work they wouldn't be getting the bill paid for sure.
    Hi Ziggy I was told by the garage that they followed the correct jaguar procedure and replaced the valve first so they could then rule that out if it didnít cure the problem . I must say Iím not happy at all spending a considerable amount and still having the problem . My way of thinking is surely if new part doesnít cure the problem then the part they took off wasnít defective so put that back on and send the new one back . Then look elsewhere for the cause

5. Likes ziggy72 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Iím back to work tomorrow for three weeks so can do no more just now . Reading other posts maybe itís worth having my air con module inspected to see if thatís ok . It was new just over 2 years ago so surely it shouid be ok . I have been assured by the guys who just robbed me ( &#128563 that the module is ok but Iím becoming very doubtful of their opinion now .

Post Thanks / Like
    Iíve got my old valve in front of me and to be honest it doesnít look worn at all . No signs of corrosion whatsoever, screws and metal parts are still shiny . Surely they should have noticed this and tested it before replacing

Post Thanks / Like
    It appears that they are throwing parts at the problem rather than doing proper trouble shooting/diagnostics. You might want to look into whether the value is in fact faulty at all ... !
    2003 S-Type 3.0, Zircon with the "Premium Package"...

Post Thanks / Like
    Find a new garage and tell everybody that you know that they are crap.
    Grumpy Old Git
    ďWhen a government is dependent upon bankers for money, they and not the leaders of the government control the situation, since the hand that gives is above the hand that takes. Money has no motherland; financiers are without patriotism and without decency; their sole object is gain.Ē
    Napolťon Bonaparte

2003 (botox) S type 3.0 sport with manual gearbox, as rare as rocking horse apples

Post Thanks / Like
    It boils my urine with these dealers fitting new parts BEFORE the problem is diagnosed. You might as well just leave your card and PIN number and say "give me a ring when it's fixed.
    They damn well sure would have to be checking the wiring FOC after £503 and still not fixed. "We've fitted a new heater valve but it turns out it was just a blown fuse, £503 please" Crooks
    There is a well known problem with the wiring loom, front off side where it bends round the front of the chassis, it's a one off very simple fix...........but the bumper has to come off to get to it
    A very cynical grumpy old man
    Late 2004 2.7D auto
    Connoisseur of Fine Ales
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - What a ride, where are the wimmin?"

Post Thanks / Like
    Far too much reliance on what a computer tells them is the problem only to find that when the part is replaced the fault is still there.
    How these people can be classed as technicians is beyond me.

Finding a good Indy in your area who can actually think beyond what the computer tells him, will sort the problem.

Simple wiring checks with a test meter and the electrical wiring diagrams will get you closer to the problem and you don’t need to be a electrician to do it.

I agree with Vic, look at that wiring loom first behind the front bumper.
    Jim.
    2012 XKR Black pack, Speed Pack, Aero pack, Rat pack. Past:-87'XJS 3.6L, 93'XJ40 3.2L gold, 95'XJ6 4.0L sport, 00'XJ8 3.2L sport, 2005 XK8 4.2L coupe, 2009 XK 5.0L Portfolio in that order and enjoyed all of 'em.

I do not offer advice, I only say what I would do with the set of circumstances presented. Your choice always.

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast