Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Headliner

Post Thanks / Like
    Many thanks for that info, its much appreciated. I will give it a try later on when the rain stops.

Post Thanks / Like
    equiprx,
    I got the headliner out yesterday, but found difficulty in two area's.
    1) The rear view mirror, could not see how to remove it.
    2) I had to bend the liner to get it through the passenger door and it looked like it was NOT made of cardboard but some thin GRP.
    I realise that there may be a colour difference and will have to order more fabric to cover the sun visors as that is where the difference will be obvious.
    Just wondered if I should go for a leather perforated material to make a real job of it or leave it original???
    3) There were two cables at the rear, one each side which I did not know about or what they were for, any idea's? The one on the drivers side locates into a sheath presumably for insulation purposes?
    Cannot wait for the samples to arrive tomorrow so I can make a start at the weekend.
    Last edited by ArtyH; 14-08-18 at 10:42. Reason: Added info

Post Thanks / Like
    I seem to recall a possible mounting cover on the rear-view mirror.
    How did you eventually get the headliner out if you could not get the mirror out?
    Are the cables you found not for courtesy lights inside the sail panels?
    Yes, the backing material is a GRP type product.
    The sun-visors, as far as I know are not able to be recovered.
    For that matter they never did match the original headliner material.
    The headliner was always fabric and the visors either leather or vinyl.
    If you are interested I have a nice set in trim code AWF or AFW.
    Never can remember the correct letter sequence.
    Good luck
    Steve

4. Thanks ArtyH thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ng4xjs View Post
    They will come unstuck unless high temperature glue is used. I use the spray variety which I have always found works well.

Nick
    Nick, Could you tell me the name of the glue you used please. Hot weather has caused my lining to fall away.
    Thanks, John

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ng4xjs View Post
    They will come unstuck unless high temperature glue is used. I use the spray variety which I have always found works well.

Nick
    Nick, Could you tell me the name of the glue you used please. Hot weather has caused my lining to fall away.
    Thanks, John

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, its in but not 100% satisfied with it, all down to me fitting the cloth really, and there is a small crease which is visible. The sun visors are darker, but are showing 22 years of dirt etc. Got enough material to cover them and know just the person to do it, but will have to clean the middle section with the air bag info printed on it.

Post Thanks / Like
    After my post above, in case anyone is interested and lives down Plymouth way, I have just had my roof lining renewed by a firm called Autotrim in Ivybridge.
    Fantastic job, quick and more than pleased with the outcome.
    Cost about £340 but I think it was well worth it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I got mine, prefacelift, from Aldridge Trimming, Birmingham they do trimed or not trimmed (fibreglass) I got untrimmed as I wanted a midnight blue covering from Woolies trim, always looks clean,

Post Thanks / Like
    I have spent hours and hours trying to figure out how Jaguar covered the sun visors.
    There doesn't seem to be a way that the cover can be closed.
    I have a few left over from my restoration projects.
    They are from a 1994 with AWF or AFW. I can never remember.
    Drop me a PM if you have a need for them.

Quote Originally Posted by ArtyH View Post
    The sun visors are darker, but are showing 22 years of dirt etc. Got enough material to cover them and know just the person to do it, but will have to clean the middle section with the air bag info printed on it.

11. Thanks ArtyH thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just a quick further update, as the headliner has been in a few days now all the small creases have become invisible. The sun visors which were a darker colour have been cleaned with Sonax foam spray and I was amazed at the dirt which came our of them, evidenced by dirty water in my rinse bucket. I sprayed the cleaner onto the visors and worked the foam in with a medium sized sash brush, then let it stand for 10 minutes, then wiped over with a damp microfibre cloth, rinsing every pass with the cloth. When dry they look almost identical in colour/tone, 22 years of grime gone in 20 minutes. Very please with the outcome. Total cost £50 and a few hours of my time
    equiprx, many thanks for the generous offer of the visors but I have got it sorted now as above.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12