Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Headliner

Post Thanks / Like

New Headliner

Well, got everything sorted now, except the headliner. Wanted to reline it myself using A.S Trim but their grey material was a mile out for the XJS. Shame as it was spot on for the XK8.

So any recommendations for the best place buy a replacement would be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    My 94, V12 Coupe came to me without anything except the inside of the roof.
    One of the first things I was told was it was going to cost me a grand for one.
    I also had a 4.0 coupe parts car that had a headliner with saggy cloth.
    After removing the cloth and foam backing I gave it to a local shop that did a great job.
    Cost was $80.

Post Thanks / Like
    http://www.myrtleltd.com/jaguar-xjs-1991-1993-early-facelift-model-replacement-headlining-board-p-409.html

1992 MY XJS Convertible

Post Thanks / Like
    Headliner World https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/headlinerworld or http://www.headlinerworld.co.uk/

Fitted to my XJ-S (pre-facelift) and also my XJ40. Very pleased with both.

Personally - I'm not so sure about the one mentioned in the previous post above - I heard of reports of headlinings coming unstuck after a short time due to an adhesive problem. This is only hearsay based on others experience. I have only ever used Myrtle for wood work - gear knob (twice - very good), XJ40 Ski-slope - quite poor lacquer finish - marks and went milky after six months. It was a 3 month wait just to get an "in-stock" item for the XJ40 Ski Slope - apparently the ski-slope board was not available! Slow and increasingly difficult to deal with. I was offered a refund after a two month wait. I stuck it out because I thought I was going to get a 1st class job based on my previous experience with the gear knobs. I would have been better off getting a used set from ebuy at a fraction of the cost.
    1989 Jaguar XJ-S V12 HE 5-speed manual
    1994 Jaguar XJ40 Sovereign
    2007 Mercedes CLK350 AMG

Past Masters:
    1996 Daimler Six LWB
    2004 Volvo S60 D5 (RICA 210bhp)
    1985 E28 BMW M535i

Post Thanks / Like
    If you saw what hardware this shop was working on you would have trusted them.
    All kinds of vintage Alphas, Porsche and etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the input guys. I chose Myrtle as the ebay comments looked favourable. I had heard about the glue issue a few years ago but hope they have addressed the problem after the complaints. I will try and update my progress when its delivered.

Post Thanks / Like
    They will come unstuck unless high temperature glue is used. I use the spray variety which I have always found works well.

Nick
    1994 4.0L XJS (AJ16) British Racing Green
    2005 2.5 V6 AWD XType Silver
    2002 2.5 V6 AWD XType Green

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by equiprx View Post
    If you saw what hardware this shop was working on you would have trusted them.
    All kinds of vintage Alphas, Porsche and etc.
    glad its not just jag owners who are going to be disappointed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well an update of sorts.
    I ordered the headliner as per above. Having placed the order on the Nimbus Grey listing and adding Grey please in the comments box I placed the order. I arranged a day off on the Friday as that is the day specified on the listing. 3 days later got an email asking for the colour and a phone number together with which headliner I wanted. You can imagine my feelings getting this note a day before I expected it to be delivered, anger does not come close. This could have been sorted out the same day or the next in order to sort things or rearrange delivery. This did not happen, someone on sales contacted me to say they tried to contact me re the above but this never happened so I canceled the order.
    Looking to remove it and recover it myself if I can remove it intact, if not C.C Headliners:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/XJS-Facel...53.m1438.l2649 will get my money.

Post Thanks / Like
    Arty,
    I guess I might have assumed something that was not clear.
    There have been discussions concerning removal feasibility.
    I can only assure you that it will not be an issue if your car is a facelift (93 1/2 on).
    Remove all the accessories, sun visors, rear view mirror, sail panels, fasteners and bend the tabs down.
    Then you can easily slide it out without removing seats but move them as far forward and tilted as you can.
    Drop the windows down and cover the doors.
    When you are ready to install I would be careful that there are no areas that are dirty or greasy.
    You can get a plastic, drop cloth for $1+- from any hardware store and tape it to the fabric side.
    I did not do that and got a nasty finger print that was difficult to remove.

11. Thanks ArtyH thanked for this post
    Likes ArtyH liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast