Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 2003 Jaguar S-Type 4.2 engine ping

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok kids, let me throw my unadultrated 2¢ in here. Contrary to a lot of specs I have seen, my crankcase hold 7.8 US quarts, so an oil change and filter are not your typical $30 to $40 changes.

Nothing scientific or technical about it.

My 03 4.2 has roughly 125k on it. I like to take my Leaper out for a carbon blowing cruise every couple of weeks and will push speeds up to 120 mph for a mile or two or three or more if I am willing to take the risk of a speed trap somewhere. It was recommended that at this mileage range I should start using synthetic 5W-30 or 5W-40, so I did. Even more than not cheap for 2 gallons synthetic. Almost immediately I began to notice exhaust that I never had before. I was burning oil at the rate of about a US quart every 200 miles. The station that does my oil changes has free top off, but they did notice I was having to top off entirely too often. Thought that I had an oil leak but never any evidence of it. Then the pinging began, or I noticed, at low acceleration - 1,200 to 1,500 rpm.

Did an AMSOIL engine flush and was surprised by what came out of a relatively recent (within 500 mile oil change). One would think I had not changed oil for 5 years. Almost as much a surprise as when I change the fuel filter and what came out of the entry side of the filer looked like an Expresso. Refilled with Valvoline 5W-30 NextGen Conventional Motor Oil. No more noticeable exhaust. 750 miles later, no oil burn. Dipstick shows maybe a cup below max. Fairly certain that replacing of the MAP and MAF sensors has something to do with it, but I now have no pinging and better and smoother acceleration.

Next thing to tackle will be MPG. It has fallen from 28 to 32 mpg highway @ 1,800 rpm to 20 to 21 mpg. Think I need to do some adjusting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_S-V6_2004 View Post
    Excellent, Chop Tank.

What's outstanding now?

Fuel delivery and MPG

This restoration and preventative project is turning into a hell of an entertaining and educational adventure. Originally this project was to pickle the engine and environmentally controlled storage until my granddaughter hits 26 [past the point where her Scumbag father can steal it from her], which is about 14 years from now. That has changed and I will do that with an F-Type or F-Type R down the road. I am having too much fun tinkering and driving the S-Type.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ChopTank View Post
    Fuel delivery and MPG

This restoration and preventative project is turning into a hell of an entertaining and educational adventure. Originally this project was to pickle the engine and environmentally controlled storage until my granddaughter hits 26 [past the point where her Scumbag father can steal it from her], which is about 14 years from now. That has changed and I will do that with an F-Type or F-Type R down the road. I am having too much fun tinkering and driving the S-Type.
    Great, I'm glad these problems haven't put you off.

It's unexpected, but the "cons" of synthetic oils which people in the articles that I linked to in my posts above stated, include leaking from seals and burning oil in old engines.

They are very careful to add "only if the wear is already present".

Anyway, I hope that's the end of the major problems, may the rest be small ones if any, but preferably none!

If yours continues to use oil, consider trying out 5W40 or 10W30 in your next replacement. Check with an older wiser mechie to help you choose which.

What mileage did your car have when you bought it?

And what brand was the synthetic oil you used before?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 04str View Post
    For the S-Type petrols, I have handbooks for 2002,3,4,5,6,7 and all I see is:

2002: Jaguar does not approve the use of synthetic engine oil in the V6 engine (no comment about the V8s)

That is deleted from all the other handbooks.

All they specify is the oil spec and they recommend 5w30.

If they really didn't want people to use synthetic oil it's hard to imagine they'd have deleted the statement and never put it back.

BTW they also say not to use oil additives of any type.
    Thanks 04str.

The warning in another Jaguar S Type manual which I saw and verified didn't say "does not approve the use of synthetic oil...", it was explicit "does not recommend the use of synthetic oil...".

I've been trying to find the source again. It'll turn up and I'll link it when it does.

If it were you writing the warning you quoted here, wouldn't you write "has not approved synthetic oil" for the meaning you read?

I would. To me, "does not approve the use of synthetic oil" means exactly this: "I do not approve of you using synthetic oil... and I will cancel your warranty if it causes any damage!"

There is no misunderstanding there.

And other sources have also said that manufacturers did approve of synthetics later, but not initially.

Jaguar evidently did since they adopted Castrol synthetic oils around 11 years ago according to Castrol themselves.

Now we all know Chop Tank's car was burning oil. Others have had leaks.

Both are "Cons" of using synthetic oil in worn engines, see the sources I quoted in my first big explanatory post above.

Post Thanks / Like
    Always bear in mind that with a bad fuel filter, possibly bad MAF and/or bad MAP the car simply could not run properly.

Even so, the knock sensors let it avoid anything bad long before a human can hear anything.

You get codes if any let alone all of MAP, MAF & two KSs are bad.

Something smells about this one car - we've never had anything like it - but it's good if it's now OK.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 04str View Post
    Always bear in mind that with a bad fuel filter, possibly bad MAF and/or bad MAP the car simply could not run properly.

Even so, the knock sensors let it avoid anything bad long before a human can hear anything.

You get codes if any let alone all of MAP, MAF & two KSs are bad.

Something smells about this one car - we've never had anything like it - but it's good if it's now OK.

I guess I left off the aspect of where I did ALSO change out the knock sensors.

I tend to agree with the aroma of this one car as it seems that going through a car wash with undercarriage spray tends to cause a dazzling temporary display of Christmas Lights on my dash panel . . . . I long ago stopped watching the lights and simply enjoyed the gentle sound of the steering column responding to twists and turns until my best friend bought me a replacement JVC with Bluetooth [absolutely not a recommendation and one day when he is not looking I will more than likely return to it's rightful position the original Jensen].

Post Thanks / Like
    I noticed you had changed the knock sensors bud, but I got distracted and didn't ask "when"?

So now it's all quietened down, give us all the gen so we can guess when the pinking stopped and what might have caused it.

There's no question the synthetic oil was being burnt, that's clear, and we're glad that's reduced dramatically after switching to petroil.

What sequence did you change stuff, and how long apart, and when did the pinking stop (I mean actually stopped, not when your ears stoped ringing from the nightmares long after! )!!

And... Do you have a code scanner and did you ever get any codes? I did ask, I think.

And... You haven't told us what brand was the synthetic you were using. I did ask, I think.

And... Were any of the bits you changed hard to do? I didn't ask!

And... I'm out of breath already, Oy Vay, My Life!!

Gorblimey, it's like squeezing a stone for water!

Post Thanks / Like
    Oi! ChopTank!

Where's me bleeding answers then? !

It's not for me, it's for any future reader like wot you were who needs some pointers.

Ta.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_S-V6_2004 View Post
    Oi! ChopTank!

Where's me bleeding answers then? !

It's not for me, it's for any future reader like wot you were who needs some pointers.

Ta.

Sounds like a set of lines uttered by Warren Clarke on Dalziel and Pascoe... Remember the poor lad is from West Virginia! lol.
    Last edited by S-Type Owner; 14-09-18 at 14:23.
    2003 S-Type 3.0, Zircon with the "Premium Package"...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by S-Type Owner View Post
    Sounds like a set of lines uttered by Warren Clarke on Dalziel and Pascoe... Remember the poor lad is from West Virginia! lol.
    Heheheh

I think he's beginning to like our sense of humour, he's refused to answer all questions so far!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast